Headaches on my days off?

A little back ground:
I'm 24, currently 185 (from 219) and work full time on my feet. I workout about 4-5 times a week on average either by walking for an hour, or doing some sort of gym class (zumba or pilates) Those days I NET my normal requirements (1500-1700 ACTUAL calories), but I've found the days that I simply eat my allotted 1200-1400 calories, without exercising, I get headaches.

What could remedy this?
I've tried Tylenol, and other pain meds, but It seems nothing really helps.

Could it be the lower calories on those days off from the gym?

Replies

• Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    There could be two pretty obvious reasons for your headaches. One is that you are eating less and that can cause headaches. Also, exercise increases endorphins(body's natural painkillers), so when you workout, they kick in and prevent headaches.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Try to increase your water intake. I find that the more water I drink, the less frequent headaches are. Also, it is possible that too much caffeine or sugar can do the same thing Good luck to you!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Your calorie alottment may not be high enough for you. To prevent these headaches, try increasing your calories by 100-200 calories a day, even on exercise days.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    The not enough calories & water comments here are possibilities for sure. It's also possible that you're tensing your neck when you're exercising, and so your head is aching the next day. I'd suggest that you try to focus on keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed (except in poses that require those muscles to tense, of course) and see if that helps?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    It's your body saying, "HEY! Let's go for a walk. [:"
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    I do tense up when working out. Heck, I tense up with everything.
    I don't feel weak or anything, less motivated, but not weak as if I didn't eat enough.
    I'm gonna incorporate a few different things. More water (sorry I haven't been logging the intake) and concentrating on relaxing my shoulders and neck when working out.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Maybe if the low calories on your days off of exercise are the culprit, just add a few calories to those days. Remember that it's OK to go over in calories as long as you are not far over. Most deficits on MFP are around 500-1000...so if you go "over" by say 200 calories when your actual deficit alloted is 500 calories, then you are still eating at a 300 calorie deficit and will lose weight.

Or...perhaps it is the types of foods that you are eating more of on exercise days that helps stave off headaches? I get headaches on low carb days. And sometimes I can fight off those headaches more easily by having something with carbs like a piece of fruit on my non-exercise days.