Set me straight, Somebody!!

Options
so I just calculated and my lean body mass is 151 lbs... Does that mean my skeleton and organs and muscles, etc weigh 150 lbs with no fat included? Sorry but I'm just learning about the body fat % I was going off BMI until I saw everyone say it was worthless. I'm curious because I need some fat right? Idk I'm lost on this one!

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's with no fat included according to this:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25887

Some fat is good according to this article (no slight intended when you go to it)

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You don't have 0 percent body fat. :bigsmile:

So you've calculated your body fat % and have your total weight? And when you multiplied the percentage as a decimal by the total pounds you got a relatively small number (compared to total weight)? That number is your "fat weight" and you subtract it from total weight to get your "lean mass weight."

So if you've done all that and got 151 pounds of lean mass, that is your weight without fat and the other number is the weight of your body fat...obviously added together equals your total weight.

Not sure if this answers what you wanted to know?
  • honeyX0
    honeyX0 Posts: 26
    Options

So you've calculated your body fat % and have your total weight? And when you multiplied the percentage as a decimal by the total pounds you got a relatively small number (compared to total weight)? That number is your "fat weight" and you subtract it from total weight to get your "lean mass weight."

So if you've done all that and got 151 pounds of lean mass, that is your weight without fat and the other number is the weight of your body fat...obviously added together equals your total weight.

Yes thats exactly what I did... my question is about a goal weight, if I have 64 lbs of pure fat should I lose all 64 lbs?
  • honeyX0
    honeyX0 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes, it's with no fat included according to this:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25887

Some fat is good according to this article (no slight intended when you go to it)

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html
    Thanks Joe!
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages will give you a good idea of what bodyfat % you'd want to aim for.

To make things easy.. If you:
    weigh 200 lbs and estimate 180 lbs of lean mass you have 10% bodyfat.
    (200lbs * 10% = 20 lbs) (200 lbs - 20 lbs = 180lbs lean mass)
    weigh 200 lbs and estimate 170 lbs of lean mass you have 15% bodyfat.
    weigh 200 lbs and estimate 160 lbs of lean mass you have 20% bodyfat.
    weigh 200 lbs and estimate 150 lbs of lean mass you have 25% bodyfat.

Best of luck to you!
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    Hi

I just googled healthy body fat pecentage and this is what I found

Age Underfat Healthy Range Overweight Obese
    20-40 yrs Under 21% 21-33% 33-39% Over 39%
    41-60 yrs Under 23% 23-35% 35-40% Over 40%
    61-79 yrs Under 24% 24-36% 36-42% Over 42%
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Interesting...gotta think on this one
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Yes thats exactly what I did... my question is about a goal weight, if I have 64 lbs of pure fat should I lose all 64 lbs?

It's easiest to determine a goal "weight" if you have a goal "body fat percentage" first. I chose 12% for myself. I used to the calculator on Tom Venuto's website and determined that the weight that goes along with that bf% for me is around 115, but it should also be kept in mind that goal weight should be a range and not a set number since we fluctuate daily.

Also, with the "lean mass" calculation you are also getting things like water, blood vessels, etc. which will disappear when losing fat since there are less cells to store water in and the body has no need to bring blood to areas that are shrinking or disappearing.

As you lose body fat, you will almost certainly lose a measure of lean mass with it. If you lose 64 pounds, it will not be 64 pounds of nothing but fat leaving you with no fat at all. Some will be from the lean mass measurement. However, you can minimize the muscle loss by doing strength training while losing fat.

Even though some people disagree, it is nearly impossible to lose all fat and nothing but fat while losing weight. You will lose more percentage of fat than other stuff, but as your body gets smaller, for instance, you won't need to have thicker bones to support what isn't there anymore.

Does that make sense?
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    Hi

I just googled healthy body fat pecentage and this is what I found

Age Underfat Healthy Range Overweight Obese
    20-40 yrs Under 21% 21-33% 33-39% Over 39%
    41-60 yrs Under 23% 23-35% 35-40% Over 40%
    61-79 yrs Under 24% 24-36% 36-42% Over 42%

That looks more like BMI than body fat %. :flowerforyou:

If that is body fat %, then when I was 132 pounds I was "underfat" because my bf% was at 20%.
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This has been really helpful to me as I have had the same questions. Other issue I have is I calculated body fat on a couple sites and every one tells me something different even though I put the same measurements in. What is the "correct" calculator to use?
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    This has been really helpful to me as I have had the same questions. Other issue I have is I calculated body fat on a couple sites and every one tells me something different even though I put the same measurements in. What is the "correct" calculator to use?

There really is no "correct" one to use unless you are going to the doctor for Dexascan or something like that. What is important is that you use the same calculator each time you measure as you would for your total body weight (weighing in wearing the same clothes at the same time of day, etc is very important).

I prefer to use the US Navy Method or measure with calipers at 3 different sites. I personally measure both ways and record them both. I've found that for me, these 2 methods seem to be very similar in results.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    http://www.bmi-calculator.net/waist-to-hip-ratio-calculator/waist-to-hip-ratio-chart.php
    This is like one stoop shopping........gives you all the tools to measure bmi bmr and body fat%......not perfect, nothing is, but it is helpful. You measure your neck, waist, hips, forearm and wrist to determine body fat percentage....... And it tells you where you are at on the ever elusive "charts". Good luck