Spinning vs Running

Hi all

What burns more calories - spinning or running?

Thanks

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    for me...running. after a few minutes of spinning around I'd throw up. LOL

I really think it's be different...depends on the intensity you go at each. The both require the legs which are big muscles.
    I'll be interested in what people say that have done both.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    for me...running. after a few minutes of spinning around I'd throw up. LOL

I really think it's be different...depends on the intensity you go at each. The both require the legs which are big muscles.
    I'll be interested in what people say that have done both.
    Classic reply!
    I think spin would due to you wont get puffed puffed riding as you would running.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    I find running burns more calories... or at least it would if I could sustain it for as long as I can with the spinning :/ As said, you don't get so puffed out on a bike :)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    I have notice I dont burn that many calories running. I think anything that uses your thigh muscles will increase your heart rate thus burn more calories.

Check out http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm - it doesnt list spinning but it does stationary bike.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    This is a massive "that depends".

Doing a rough comparison using MFP calories (which for me are pretty accurate), 30 minutes of running at 12 minute miles burns around 16% more than spinning.

BUT a spinning class usually lasts an hour, and if you can keep that up longer than you run, you'll burn more in total.

A second BUT is how much effort do you put in? If you add intervals to your running you'd burn far more, likewise a full-out spin class will up the burn. These high effort sessions will also increase the afterburn - the extra calories you use while your body recovers over the rest of the day.

It also depends on your goals. If you want to just lose weight, you may want to choose something you can do for longer or do a mixture in a day. I burned my most calories since I joined MFP doing a 160 minute adventure race (1400) and a 190 minute night hike at a slow speed (1030).

You will get lots of answers saying use a heart rate monitor, but even that's an estimate and requires additional calculations to subtract what you'd have burned just living. For the most part MFP calories are good enough.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    I do both. I'm a woman, I'm 5ft 9.5" and I weight 12.3 stone.

When I'm running on the treadmill in the gym, I generally do about 5km at a 10km per hour speed, that usually burns according to the machine about 400 calories inside the 27ish minutes it takes me to do this. I've not run with my HRM yet as I only got it relatively recently.

I recently lost half a stone so the amount I'm burning now is slightly less than it used to be. I go to spin classes regularly and I find that I usually burn between 400-550 in the 45 minute classes - this is based on what I've recorded with my HRM. The classes I go to are quite hard though, and the teachers really encourage you to push it quite hard.

From my experience, I would say running is a better calories burner, but it depends on how hard you're pushing it.

xx
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    I do both. I'm a woman, I'm 5ft 9.5" and I weight 12.3 stone.

When I'm running on the treadmill in the gym, I generally do about 5km at a 10km per hour speed, that usually burns according to the machine about 400 calories inside the 27ish minutes it takes me to do this. I've not run with my HRM yet as I only got it relatively recently.

I recently lost half a stone so the amount I'm burning now is slightly less than it used to be. I go to spin classes regularly and I find that I usually burn between 400-550 in the 45 minute classes - this is based on what I've recorded with my HRM. The classes I go to are quite hard though, and the teachers really encourage you to push it quite hard.

From my experience, I would say running is a better calories burner, but it depends on how hard you're pushing it.

xx
    How do u run at 10kmh! i get to 55 seconds and grab the rail so i don't fling back! comfortably i can run at 7km, i have to bolt at 10!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    I just started taking spin classes. I've been running for a while, and I think my body is getting used to it, and burning less. The spin class is a really tough workout. You can make it as tough as you want by spinning the resistance knob on the bike to get the burn in your legs. It really depends on your level of effort. For me, I think I burn about the same per minute for each activity, but since I spin longer than I run, I burn more.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Running will generally burn more calories than spinning. That said I think you should do both as it is not just about the calorific burn.

Cycling and in particular Spinning ahs been proven to help with running and a varied / balanced workout schedule will produce better results than keeping to one esercise regime.
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    I've been spinning regularly for the past 6+ months, and I started running about a month ago. On a per hour basis, running burns more calories for me than spinning does. That said, I generally spin for significantly longer than I run, so per workout spinning burns more for me.

In the month of July, I've Done 7 spin classes and gone on 7 significant runs. Here's a quick analysis of my burns (rounded):

SPINNING:
    Average Workout Length: 66 minutes
    Average Burn per Hour: 656 calories
    Average Burn per Workout: 716 calories

RUNNING:
    Average Workout Length: 35 minutes
    Average Burn per Hour: 797 calories
    Average Burn per Workout: 475 calories

For reference, I'm female, 24 years old, 5'11, and 173 pounds.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    for me it's running. I tend to flail around though, so its more of a full body workout :D Spinning is a great burn as well though!!
  • Thank you for all your comments:smile: