Deadlifts - what am I doing wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't spend time mastering the move with good form before transitioning to a heavy weight and getting it deeply ingrained. That is certainly good advice.

However, I believe that overthinking sometimes causes as many problems as bad form. A decent coach will show you correct form and make the movement, certainly in the case of the deadlift, a natural one so that you your body tells you what you need to do, not your mind. This makes executing the move much easier. Being shown and then mimicking makes for a much smoother movement then being told and consciously knowing.

The same is true of the back squat. Many people have tremendous difficulty mastering the movement because they overthink it. Where should I place the bar, what about my hands, what angle should my feet be placed? However, get them in a position for a goblet squat and they can seemingly do it with ease and good form after only a few attempts. It's like kids in a playground. They seem to be able to get into a perfect squat position when they are messing around without even thinking about it. What then happens to make it so difficult when they become adults?

I don't think this is true for all big lifts though. I think it was you who mentioned the clean and jerk? That certainly does need to be approached on a much more conscious level. I just don't feel the deadlift falls into that category.

OK I feel better now.

How about we put it this way, just to make everyone agree. Of all the compound (more technical) lifts, the deadlift is probably one of (if not the) easiest lift to perform. This doesn't make it an overall easy lift, just far easier than something that has multiple progressions to it. That I'd feel comfortable saying.

I get worried when ever I hear people talk about any compound lift being easy, because I've seen to many injuries. I've seen guys who have been lifting correctly for years do one too many and have bad form and blow their back out, it's bad stuff.

Not to scare people, it's pretty rare that this happens if you have correct form, but that's why I'm not a huge fan of long and low, every extra rep in a set is another chance for fatigue to set in and form to go south.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    How about we put it this way, just to make everyone agree. Of all the compound (more technical) lifts, the deadlift is probably one of (if not the) easiest lift to perform. This doesn't make it an overall easy lift, just far easier than something that has multiple progressions to it. That I'd feel comfortable saying.
    I'm not a huge fan of long and low, every extra rep in a set is another chance for fatigue to set in and form to go south.

You won't see me disagreeing. Seems very sensible to me. You have a deal mate.

high_five.jpg
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of long and low, every extra rep in a set is another chance for fatigue to set in and form to go south.

You won't see me disagreeing. Seems very sensible to me. You have a deal mate.

high_five.jpg

woo hoo! Partaeeey time! I love it when a plan comes together.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the replies and links to videos. I will check them out at home. Deadlifts have always been a mystery to me, even when I used to do Jillian Michael's videos. Now that I'm doing this program, I really want to get it right. I appreciate all of your input! :flowerforyou: :drinker: