eating out?? Were all screwed :)

Options
cat3nv
cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
According to this yahoo news article many restaurants are under reporting their calorie content. Some may be off as much as 100 calories.

I do not eat out often, but when I do I try to plan ahead if they have an online nutritional value menu. Thought I would share this with all my MFP friends.

http://news.yahoo.com/calorie-counts-swing-wildly-us-restaurants-200713747.html

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    It is not just the calories you have to worry about eating out but the SODIUM. It is doubled or tripled one persons daily intake and that is Just one meal. I think they need to adjust it. You can try to eat out and make good choices but what do you do when restuurants are Bull****ing us all
  • fitwatch
    fitwatch Posts: 61
    Options
    That is too bad. No wonder I gained so much - I eat out all the time. I am going to cut way back now.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you really read the article, many are off by way more than 100 calories! there was even one item off by 1600 calories - more than my allottment for the entire day!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sodium is the devil!! Ok maybe not that bad, but too much is bad. If you are eating out you expect the sodium content to be high as all processes foods are.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Eating out won't screw you over, you've just got to be careful with it. Limit how often you eat out. Plan for the extra calories and sodium and make sure that your other two meals that day are light in both areas and keep your activity level up. We're off on a 4+ hour car trip on Sunday, to visit a flower shop as far south as we can get without heading west first, and then the same time back. We're eating out at least once, possibly twice as I'm getting picked up at 7am, meaning my lift is setting off at 6! So we'll call into one of those high sodium, high calorie places a we drive down the motorway, otherwise known a service tation fast food >_< Not to mention the costa as both my parents have developed an addiction to the place :P But I know that anything I eat on that trip is one day. I haven't eaten out in over a week, so while it may be blowing my goals sky high, I know I'll recover it because I moderate how often I do it and plan for it ahead of time.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    disappointing!