That time of the month ladies.. lil help?

Options
So it is that lovely time of the month for me (insert saracsm here). I have a very painful time each month and I know that working out is not going to be an option for the next 2-3 days when it's at its peek. I'm wondering, if I can do it, should I eat less during those days since I'm not working out? I don't know if this will work since I am hungrier during this time as it is. But if I try and stay well under my calories without working out, will it help with staying on track for these couple days that I can't really workout?

Jackie

Replies

• tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have no advice for you. But I do have sympathy. I am in the same boat today.
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Eating less should help you stay on track but my doctor has suggested to me that I keep my activity up because exercise can help relieve the cramping. Maybe instead of an intense work out you go for a 30 minute walk but at least it is something!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I take 600 mg of ibuprofen and work through it. Working out actually HELPS ease back pain, cramps.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    DITTO THAT!
    For me I have 1-2 days I can't exercise without gushing through everythig I have on and in! I call it quits on those days and have no issues afterwards. I put on 3-5 lbs before I even begin the eating binges and am back to normal once it is over. I try to eat healthy things and not eat the craving foods, not easy as you well know I'm sure. I cut myself some slack and listen to my body. I usually do kick it up a notch the weekdn after things are normal. Makes me feel better! TOM needs to go!
  • richarni
    richarni Posts: 1
    Options
    It's that time for me as well and today I was suppose to hit the gym since I'm on day 2 and feel a little icky but I just popped in an exercise dvd and kept it moving. Tommorrow I'll hit the gym but I didn't want to let a workout go to waste just because aunt flow came to town lol
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    I get horny after TOM.........

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • trdy77
    trdy77 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Same problem here today. But I have found that staying active really does help.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Eating less should help you stay on track but my doctor has suggested to me that I keep my activity up because exercise can help relieve the cramping. Maybe instead of an intense work out you go for a 30 minute walk but at least it is something!

I agree -- when I pushed through and did a workout (even if it was a light one), I felt tons better afterward.
    Aleve works really well, too...
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've recently started having these again after being on depo injection for 2 years and I now remember why I went on the injection in the first place!!

I would suggest you keep your fluids up, and consume more iron rich foods to help with blood related issues. Also, exercise does help (although it's the last thing you feel like doing), so a short brisk walk when you're able won't affect "downstairs" if you know what I mean lol Anyway, a walk that raises your pulse rate and gets you a little out of breath is good :)
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    This video might help you laugh your way out of it, too!! Love this commercial from Kotex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpypeLL1dAs
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Same here! For the week before TOTM I get so lethargic (this week!) it's as much as I can do to put one foot in front of the other, never mind run! So I walk - same distance just takes longer. Almost the same calorie burn too. Bear in mind I'm not regular so this COULD go on for a couple of weeks ormore! When 'it' arrives, the first 2 days are so heavy that being away from a toilet for any more than about 45-60 minutes is unwise! I don't do much exercise these days and just push myself a bit more when I feel up to it.

This is how we know God is a man - any woman would have given us girlies an 'off' switch!!!!

Hope you all feel better soon. xx
  • Darthkrispy
    Options
    I have the same problem right now too. While a lot of people have told me that exercising makes them feel better, I don't really agree, I think it can depend on the person and it doesn't really for me. I do like to try and stay active though or do something, especially on the last like two days. This is kind of my first time on my period since I started doing MFP but I'm trying to be careful because I crave sweets and food period and I always feel hungry. So for me it's just convincing myself I'm really still not hungry, by eating things high in protein, and limiting my sweets, I always figure it's okay if I have a little more than usual just as long as I don't go overboard. Hope this helps a little.
  • MissyFit08
    MissyFit08 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I used to have the WOOORST cramps in the world and was dead on my couch for 2 days out of the month...exercising was definitely out for me then. What I did was I nixed dairy as it made me cramp even more and if I wanted carbs, I ate that in the morning or for an early lunch so I could "burn" it off before my metabolism slowed for the day. I think if you stop eating too much before 5:00 pm you really should be fine as long as you don't go over your calories for the day :wink: Good luck!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Exercise can actually help relieve cramps and bloating. Maybe try doing a lighter activity? Drink lots of water, avoid salt and caffiene, and stay active. It will help you.

Hang in there!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My advice is to just drink plenty of water (so you don't bloat and retain so much) and listen to your body. I think walking or yoga would be nice exercise if you are feeling under the weather, but you don't need to overdo it.
    As for eating less, again, just eat what feels right. Have a couple pieces of dark chocolate to ward off that chocolate cake. Eat a nice lean steak instead of a double cheeseburger. But don't go without, IMO.
    If I don't eat blood when I am on my period, I find I feel weak and unwell.

Everyone is different and this is what works for me. Listen to your body. Really dissect your cravings so you put in precisely what you need. Take care of yourself. ^^
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am with you on today!! My cramps hurt so bad I worry that something has broke in there!! I have heard that exercising helps the cramps but I am not sure I can do ANYTHING while my stomach hurts this bad. I am going to try to take my dog for a short walk or something and maybe that will help!! I hope you feel better soon!!
  • jlynnmclaughlin
    Options
    Wow thank you for all the great tips and info... LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL....I have it bookmarked! <3

I hear a lot of you saying that walking and drinking lots of fluids will help since I can't do the strenuous workout. I like that idea and I think that is what I will do. I'll just try to double the time that I usually walk and try to stay under my calories for these 2-3 days off what I call...hell. :)

Thanks for all the feedback I really appreciate it and feel for the rest of you today that are going through the same thing.

Jackie
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL....I have it bookmarked! <3

Jackie

So just think, Jackie -- tomorrow you'll probably be twirling, and in a few days you'll feel like dancing! :bigsmile:
  • jlynnmclaughlin
    Options

If I don't eat blood when I am on my period, I find I feel weak and unwell.

I know exactly what you mean. I do crave steak and red meat during this time. I do feel very weak and unwell if I don't get it. I'm not a big red meat eater, I only crave and need it during this time....so odd.:)

Thanks for sharing and for the info.
  • jlynnmclaughlin
    Options
    LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL....I have it bookmarked! <3

Jackie

So just think, Jackie -- tomorrow you'll probably be twirling, and in a few days you'll feel like dancing! :bigsmile:

lmfaooooo... did you see the other one? I love this one too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOM4AMV050A&amp;NR=1