Hurt my knee on the bike yesterday; what should I do today?

Options
Yesterday I was doing a program on my stationary bike that I don't use very often, and during one of the high-intensity parts, I felt kind of a a pop in my knee. Since then, whenever I put weight on it, like when climbing the stairs, it hurts. I've got my knee stabilizer on right now, which helps, but I don't think I can keep my stabilizer on through a normal workout due to the way the velcro sits against my leg (that'd be some mighty painful chafing!)

If I had access to a pool, I'd go swim laps, but I don't have a pool membership in our current area. Plus, it's going to be 95 degrees, so I think any pool that still had lap lanes would be really crowded.

What are some other knee-pain-friendly cardio activities besides swimming and biking? I've thought of a few ideas so far, but if anybody has more ideas, please share! These all pretty low-intensity, but I figured I'll probably have to do a low intensity day:

1.) Walk in the heat (knee stabilizer on)
2.) wii fit plus
3.) "Just Dance 2" focusing primarily on upper body movements, knee stabilizer on
4.) get on the stationary bike and just take it slow and low-resistance (Will that cause further injury?)

Thanks so much for any input!

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You should just take it easy today!!

RICE is best for the next couple of days..Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. If the pain doesn't go away in a few days, see a doctor. I had some random knee pain start w/ no known "trauma" and it turns out that I have a couple of bone spurs. A few weeks of rest have taken care of the pain but the bone spurs are there to stay.

If you really want to do something, just focus on your upper body and core work using chairs or a stability ball to keep any additional weight/stress off your knee.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    yes hate to say it but you need to rest it....hurt my ankle at soccer the other night so I know how hard it can be to sit on the sidelines...but you dont want to hurt it worse
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    With a pop I'd probably go see the dr. That's one of the first things they ask when I go in for my knee.
    If it hurts to put weight on it then rest!!! Pain (not soreness but actual pain) is your body's way of telling you to rest. I know how frustrating it is, last Monday I hurt my knee and am under dr's orders to do nothing more than walking until at least my follow up next Monday.
    You can do some seated upper body work with weights.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Knee and Pop does not go together well at all. The only thing that makes that sound in the knee is a Cruciate Ligament, mostly Anterior. That coupled with the fact that it hurts to put weight on it supports the assumption of some adverse findings. I recommend you have it checked out by your doctor as soon as possible as you do not want to worsen any potential internal damage.

BTW, I am speaking from 12 years of medical experience.
  • ilaurya
    ilaurya Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow, okay! Thanks everybody! I had no idea. Looks like RICE and a call to the doctor are in order. Maybe I'll just play rock band drums (can do that while elevating the hurt leg) so I feel like I haven't totally wasted the day. Thanks again; I totally would have tried to push through and probably made it worse.
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Rest it is. However, with injured legs you can row a boat, shadowbox or do other cardio that is "arms only". Get creative.