7.5 months into my weight loss adventure...

Options
....and quite the adventure, indeed!

I decided to look at my average loss since being on MFP (lost 54.8 lbs since 11/30/10), and determined:

-->Since joining MFP (11/30/10), I have lost an average of 1.66 lbs/wk...not bad, ey?

-->My average loss for 2011 (total 46.8 lbs) is 1.67 lbs/week... (1/3/11 being 1st weigh in, 7/14/11 being most recent weigh in)...

-->Since doing the whole "weight loss" gig (October 2010) I have lost about a total of 65 lbs.

-->I am 77 lbs. from my highest weight ever

-->I have lost 1 1/2 ring sizes

My original goal was to lose 60# by 9/1/11...but I think I am going to re-evaluate and shoot higher than that, since it is only 7/14/11 and I am 5.2 lbs away from hitting 60 total (well 60 lost on MFP anyways)...Hmmmm, since I am going shopping for Wedding dresses in October, I think I will set a goal of hitting 1 lb a week up until then (lets say as of 10/1/11)...which will give me approx 11 lbs to lose...bringing me to about a 65.8 total loss on MFP...If I hit 70# by then, I will just be THRILLED. I am crossing my fingers! I know the loss will most likely not be consistent, but I can at least try!

I am trying to pull in the positives, here, as everytime I look in the mirror, I still see this big spare tire that has gotten a little smaller, but hasn't gone bye bye yet...

I did, however, manage to drop a few sizes clothing wise...I just don't want to put a lot of $$$$ into buying a new wardrobe...The only fitting clothes that I have recently obtained (via lovely gift cards I got for my birthday back in April, and a gift card I won on a radio station last year) are: 2 pairs of jean capris, 1 pair of cargo capris, 1 pair of khaki pants, 2 tank tops, and a pair of workout pants (and here's a first since I can remember: the cargo capris, khaki pants, and tank tops are NOT plus size! I can not remember the last time I was fitting in Misses sizes...probably middle school. I was in Kohls last weekend, where I got these, and realized as I was in the Misses department, HOLY COW there are a LOT more clothes for Misses than in the lil Plus Size dept...). I only have 2 workout outfits that fit me that I bought a few months ago (meaning I can keep the pants up without them falling off)...I am debating keeping my new workout pants (Kohl's) because they were around $30 and I figured if I have 2 decent workout outfits (that I would wear in public), that I could get by with just that, and wearing my baggy workout clothes at home, then I can hold onto the $30 on a gift card for down the road. I still need shirts and smaller underwear...maybe I will check out some consignment shops for the shirts...hadn't really thought of that until now...

I wrote a "success story" for my 40 lb. loss (for my birthday...back on 4/29/11), and am waiting until I hit 60# to write the next one...so close!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/baypathgrad/view/40-lbs-down-almost-halfway-to-goal-97876

Miscellaneous things I have noticed:

-->This process is not perfect. Nobody is. In fact, things can turn ugly at times. There were certainly days (and still are!) where my good eating habits fall into a black hole, not to be found again until the next day, or the day after that. It happens. And for me, unfortunately, this happens on most weekends (Fri nite through Sunday at some point). After you say to yourself, "Why did I do that?"-not to beat yourself up, but to ask yourself what the meaning behind that was, the important thing is to stand up, dust yourself off, and move on. Fortunately, I can say that there has NEVER been a point thus far, where I have felt like giving up (at least since I have been on MFP). If I start beating myself up for overeating, people (MFP friends, and other friends) remind me not to be so hard on myself, and to think of the progress made so far. That support has always helped me.

-->I am a creature of habit, when it comes to eating and exercising. Out of mostly convenience, I eat a lot of the same things, every day. It hasn't really halted my weightloss (knock on wood) just yet, but it could happen...I think it is time that I start switching it up a bit, and maybe trying one new thing a week.

-->I think my feet shrank. I used to be a 9 1/2, and now a lot of my shoes are too big. I can actually see veins defined on the tops of my feet. Veins are not something I care to see, but just a change I noticed. Also, I am thankful I can see my feet without having to lean slightly forward to see past my gut. :)

-->my bat wings: they are still dangling there, but they are a TEENY TINY TAD bit smaller (I should have taken measurements of my body when I first started on here).

-->I can see my knee caps...they have definition, and are no longer as padded with fat...

-->My knees (knock on wood) don't bother me anymore (for the most part). I used (knock on wood again) to get arthritis in both my knees in the winter, when it got damp out, when it was humid out...a lot. I will probably need knee surgery at some point in my life. Point is, they have gotten much better.

-->If I don't work out for a few days, or if I planned on working out, and it just didn't happen, I sort of get cranky over it. Not like the world is going to end, but I enjoy my workouts, I look forward to them, they help me mentally and physically...I NEED them.

-->You can't depend on anyone to do this for you, or to be right next to you the entire time. I have made plans to workout with people, and many a times those plans fell through, because something came up with the other person. I haven't quite found someone in my circle of friends, co-workers, or family that is as committed to exercise as I am, so I learn to deal with flying solo. Sometimes you get to workout together, which is good, but this is about you, so just focus on your journey and take care of business. Don't let the fact that the other person can't make it be your reason to derail, and skip workouts or whatever. If "Plan A" (exercising with a friend, etc.) falls through, I try to have a "Plan B" (take the dog for a long walk, go to the gym by myself, do a workout DVD @ home, etc.) If I am having one of those days where I didn't feel like pushing myself, because I felt run down, but was going to suck it up so I don't break plans with that person, then they break the plans, I will take that as a rest day, and do a good workout the day after. Today, actually, I was supposed to go walking at the park with a college friend after work (it takes us about 45 min to do the loop around the park), but she cancelled because she took a vacation day at the beach, and won't make it back in time. So, I am thinking of hitting the gym again today...or working out at home.

-->My body tells me when enough is enough. When I start to feel like I am coming down with a cold or something doesn't feel right, I don't push it. I don't force myself to go through with a tough workout. I learned to give my body rest for a day or so. Don't overdo it, as I have learned from getting sick a few times....then I am just out of commission for at least a week. I wasn't doing myself any favors...and I certainly wasn't enjoying being sick.

-->Everyone always thinks they know the trick to help you lose weight ("you should focus on ab work," "running will do it," etc...). Some things work for some people, other things work for others. For me, I don't think it would be one thing that "does the trick," but a combination of things. Of course, this whole "people loving to give their opinions" thing extends to other aspects in life, like all these lovely opinions I get about our wedding that I am trying to plan...yay! I have learned that I should not stress over everyone's opinions, so....keep the opinions coming! I will just hold onto them in my lil glass "opinion" jar for safekeeping...lol

-->When someone asks you, "What is your secret?" and you tell them there isn't one...you then explain that it is basically working your A off, along with counting calories...they stare at you with a blank look like they are waiting to hear the "truth"...as if there is SOME OTHER explanation. Nope, sorry, may sound boring, but there is no secret :D

To be continued..

Replies

• HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    that is amazing!! and very exciting :smile: your goal is completely attainable and i bet you will look fabulous in your wedding dress! congratulations and cheers to health and happiness!! :drinker:
  • lmsieffer
    lmsieffer Posts: 4
    Options
    Congratulations! All your hard work is paying off...keep it up!
  • chelamg12
    chelamg12 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Awesome...very inspiring!!!!!!!!
  • mrdavidjk
    mrdavidjk Posts: 105
    Options
    Well done to you.
    we all want the weight to be gone, but to rapid weight loss causes sagging, you are doing exactly the right thing by loosing the amount you are.
    hopefully before Christmas i will reach my goal and then i can post my own story
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! you motivate me to keep going. hey, here is a tip about workout clothes....check out walmart. no lie. They have some cute clothes that are only ten bucks or less per top or bottom. I strut around in them all the time and it doesn't cost me an arm or leg.
    as far as underwear....VICTORIA SECRET'S all the way. First, you are sexy and you deserve it. Second, their underwear is cheap (5 for $25) and they will last forever. Other undies tear up in the washer or get raggedy after a few years. I still have my VS bras and undies and it has been forever.
    As for shirts....hmmmm...I will tell you this. I shop at Ann Taylor Loft. Now it is not the cheapest store in the world, but the sales are awesome, they are always on point with fashion, the clothing will last forever, you will get compliments year after year, and if you gain or lose weight, the clothing will grow and shrink with you!
    So.....Good luck! Stay gorgeous:)
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!! you motivate me to keep going. hey, here is a tip about workout clothes....check out walmart. no lie. They have some cute clothes that are only ten bucks or less per top or bottom. I strut around in them all the time and it doesn't cost me an arm or leg.

Thanks-one of my workout outfits is actually from Walmart :) I think I paid like $20 for the entire thing!
  • baypathgradLyns
    Options
    Well done to you.
    we all want the weight to be gone, but to rapid weight loss causes sagging, you are doing exactly the right thing by loosing the amount you are.
    hopefully before Christmas i will reach my goal and then i can post my own story

I am sure you will get there!! :D
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know, right! They are really cute, too!
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    You are awesome, I love this for you. You are gonna be one smokin hot bride!
  • baypathgradLyns
    Options
    You are awesome, I love this for you. You are gonna be one smokin hot bride!

Thanks Robin!!! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!