Yoga

Stagezz
Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
Recommend me a Yoga DVD! I have never done youga in my entire life...but my flexibility sucks!

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• I would like to know too.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    If you want to try a few routines before buying, YouTube has LOTS of yoga for beginners. Search around there and try some out. I've never really cared for yoga DVDs, they get boring. But I DO recommend taking a class at least once, if you can. Alignment in yoga is of utmost importance (to prevent injury) and it REALLY helps to have someone showing you how it's done in person. ALSO, if you have Netflix, they're adding more and more yoga DVDs all the time.
  • KaraGrr
    KaraGrr Posts: 75 Member
    I love Jillian Michael's "Yoga Meltdown." It's a hybrid style of Yoga which I think is great for beginners because it doesn't focus on flexibility and perfection in the poses. It is more about learning the poses while repping them out so you keep your heart rate up at the same time.
    It has 2 levels also so you have something to work towards...it's a lot of fun I think you'd like it! :) Plus, I've noticed that I have gotten a lot stronger from doing it...definitely a plus!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    bump
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    I do the Yoga DVD from P90X. It's pretty good.
  • bethany1031
    bethany1031 Posts: 40 Member
    There used to be (and I think still is) a show on the Oxygen Network called Inhale. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I have about a dozen episodes saved on my DVR. Steve Ross is the host & it's a great workout set to fantastic music. All levels of flexibility - someone for everyone to watch. It's yoga without being yoga-y with the tranquil music & chimes.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    The Firm has a beginners yoga dvd. The set comes with a mat and a block too. I found it pretty cheap at Walmart (not sure where you are located). It was a really great workout when I started, I bought one for my mom and mother in law too and they really liked it. Its 30mins and gives you some really good beginner moves.
    Good luck!!
  • kseltzer
    kseltzer Posts: 214 Member
    There r lots of yoga apps for the IPad and many r free. Don't know if that helps, but it may be a way to get u started. I started by dvring a short yoga show on Fit TV. I learned some beginner poses very quickly from there.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Yoga journal offers free podcasts. I would recommend trying a bunch from the library or Netflix.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    I love Jillian Michael's "Yoga Meltdown." It's a hybrid style of Yoga which I think is great for beginners because it doesn't focus on flexibility and perfection in the poses. It is more about learning the poses while repping them out so you keep your heart rate up at the same time.
    It has 2 levels also so you have something to work towards...it's a lot of fun I think you'd like it! :) Plus, I've noticed that I have gotten a lot stronger from doing it...definitely a plus!!

lol. That is so anti-yoga.
  • atay18
    atay18 Posts: 39 Member
    I started doing yoga On Demand, on the sports channel, they have anywhere for 20 min - 50 min sessions that are pretty good. Now I'm going to a studio and taking Yoga basics, as well as some of the 1-2 levels. When I do Vinyasa Yoga, I am dripping sweat! It is a lot of strength and stretch. Good Luck!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    I learned yoga from Baron Baptiste videos about 10 years ago and have never stopped.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    I learned yoga from Baron Baptiste videos about 10 years ago and have never stopped.

LOVE!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    I have never done yoga from DVD, but I know that Yoga Journal offers free webcasts. Also myyogaonline.com is an awesome site with all kinds of yoga styles/practices/levels. Check it out!