Ideal weight? crazy standards

Options
13»

Replies

• imprimez
    imprimez Posts: 36
    Options
    Most of our views on what an ideal weight is are heavily influenced by what we're exposed to in our culture and these views do not always conform to what is considered ideal from a medical perspective. In general, women tend to to underestimate what their ideal weight should be while men tend to overestimate. American culture in general seems to prefer skinny women and 'bulky' guys, though I've seen women already at a healthy weight still wanting to gain more.

BMI is a good for reference but should not be taken as gospel. It should be a great guideline for most people as it was designed with the 'average' body type in mind, but it is not particularly well-suited to serious athletes or body builders.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

BMI is a good for reference but should not be taken as gospel. It should be a great guideline for most people as it was designed with the 'average' body type in mind, but it is not particularly well-suited to serious athletes or body builders.

I completely again, especially considering athletic people tend to have a high BMI. This is also why I suggest looking at body fat as this is a more accurate measure of health.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Female, 5'2" - my dietitian thinks I should end up about 150, based on my body type and the fact that I'm doing a lot of strength type training (boot camp, CrossFit, Olympic lifting) and building a lot of muscle. She said when I get there, we'll see where I'm at and maybe go lower, but she thinks 150 is realistic.
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find other people's goal weights very interesting. I have mine set at the higher end of a normal BMI. I may adjust my goal once I reach it depending on how I feel. I think it is also important to consider how much work you want to put into maintaining a lower weight/body fat %. I would like to be able to maintain my weight by staying active in my everyday life not hours of structured exercise. For some it is easy to maintain a low number and/or they truly enjoy exercise. It is also true that each person carries weight differently, and I'm sure you can find a weight that suits you well.
  • btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find other people's goal weights very interesting. I have mine set at the higher end of a normal BMI. I may adjust my goal once I reach it depending on how I feel. I think it is also important to consider how much work you want to put into maintaining a lower weight/body fat %. I would like to be able to maintain my weight by staying active in my everyday life not hours of structured exercise. For some it is easy to maintain a low number and/or they truly enjoy exercise. It is also true that each person carries weight differently, and I'm sure you can find a weight that suits you well.

Great point - picking a goal that is easy to maintain within the lifestyle I want to perpetuate would be a good indicator of where to set the final goal when nearing the end of the weight loss phase - thanks!
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'3" and he weighs 190lbs - it's not unrealistic.. this is what it looks like:

21lpik8.jpg

2a82rs4.jpg

ipwr3r.jpg

xlxcv4.jpg
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I agree that it depends on the frame. The guidelines are a good 'goal', but we really need to be in tune (and honest) with ourselves about what feels right and what we're capable of.

My current goal is set high for my height - 150 lbs at 5'6". But the last time I weighed that, I felt and looked good, so that's what I'm heading for. I'll revisit it when I get there. I don't lift weights now like I did then, so I suspect my final target is going to be lower... we shall see.
  • rosendo192000
    Options
    I know this is an old thread , but ima glad I found it . I'm been worrying about my weight since I started my weight lost journey . I came from a whopping 405 lbs at 5'10 " , 19 months later Im currently 187lbs . The weight chart indicates I'm suppose to be at 163 :( .. I guess I'll look more and base my self on my BF% instead keeping in mind that I might have 5-10 lbs of skin :(

20045323.png\
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    These charts do not take into account muscle weighs more, so what you are getting is the weight of a skinny thin boned person on those charts. My husband complains of the same thing. He has not been below 190. My charts say as a woman 5'7 I should be between 118 and 159, that is a huge weight range. I am 156 now, I know I am now healthy, but not fit looking. I don't like the charts :(
  • Skarlet13
    Skarlet13 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread , but ima glad I found it . I'm been worrying about my weight since I started my weight lost journey . I came from a whopping 405 lbs at 5'10 " , 19 months later Im currently 187lbs . The weight chart indicates I'm suppose to be at 163 :( .. I guess I'll look more and base my self on my BF% instead keeping in mind that I might have 5-10 lbs of skin :(

20045323.png\

Holy smokes....you've lost a lot of weight. Congrats. :)