PCOS-recommendations from nutritionist :)

Options

Replies

• sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this :smile:

I retract my previous statements ladies.

Sublog check these:
    J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007 Nov;27(8):762-73.
    Diet and nutrition in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): pointers for nutritional management.
    Farshchi H, Rane A, Love A, Kennedy RL.
    SourceSchool of Medicine, James Cook University, Douglas, Australia.

Abstract
    PCOS patients are not always markedly overweight but PCOS is strongly associated with abdominal obesity and insulin resistance. Effective approaches to nutrition and exercise improve endocrine features, reproductive function and cardiometabolic risk profile--even without marked weight loss. Recent studies allow us to make recommendations on macronutrient intake. Fat should be restricted to < or =30% of total calories with a low proportion of saturated fat. High intake of low GI carbohydrate contributes to dyslipidaemia and weight gain and also stimulates hunger and carbohydrate craving. Diet and exercise need to be tailored to the individual's needs and preferences. Calorie intake should be distributed between several meals per day with low intake from snacks and drinks. Use of drugs to either improve insulin sensitivity or to promote weight loss are justified as a short-term measure, and are most likely to be beneficial when used early in combination with diet and exercise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18097891

and this...
    Nutr Clin Pract. 2008 Feb;23(1):63-71.
    Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and other androgen excess-related conditions: can changes in dietary intake make a difference?
    Liepa GU, Sengupta A, Karsies D.
    SourceSchool of Health Sciences and Department of Chemistry, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI, USA. george.liepa@emich.edu

Abstract
    Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that involves the excess production of androgens. It affects up to 10% of all American women and can lead to the development of acne, hirsutism, and infertility. It has also been associated with coronary heart disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. Over half of the women who are diagnosed with PCOS are overweight or obese. Recommendations are made for overweight/obese women to lose weight via diet and exercise. Women with PCOS should also consider maintaining a diet that is patterned after the type 2 diabetes diet. This diet includes an increase in fiber and a decrease in refined carbohydrates, as well as a decrease in trans and saturated fats and an increase in omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids. Foods that contain anti-inflammatory compounds (fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and red wine) should also be emphasized. Evidence is provided for the impact of these dietary changes on improvements in the androgen profile of PCOS patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18203965
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Great info for PCOSers! Ive been following a lot of these ideas with great weight loss sucess :)
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I retract my previous statements ladies.

Sublog check these:
    J Obstet Gynaecol. 2007 Nov;27(8):762-73.
    Diet and nutrition in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): pointers for nutritional management.
    Farshchi H, Rane A, Love A, Kennedy RL.
    SourceSchool of Medicine, James Cook University, Douglas, Australia.

Abstract
    PCOS patients are not always markedly overweight but PCOS is strongly associated with abdominal obesity and insulin resistance. Effective approaches to nutrition and exercise improve endocrine features, reproductive function and cardiometabolic risk profile--even without marked weight loss. Recent studies allow us to make recommendations on macronutrient intake. Fat should be restricted to < or =30% of total calories with a low proportion of saturated fat. High intake of low GI carbohydrate contributes to dyslipidaemia and weight gain and also stimulates hunger and carbohydrate craving. Diet and exercise need to be tailored to the individual's needs and preferences. Calorie intake should be distributed between several meals per day with low intake from snacks and drinks. Use of drugs to either improve insulin sensitivity or to promote weight loss are justified as a short-term measure, and are most likely to be beneficial when used early in combination with diet and exercise.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18097891

and this...
    Nutr Clin Pract. 2008 Feb;23(1):63-71.
    Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and other androgen excess-related conditions: can changes in dietary intake make a difference?
    Liepa GU, Sengupta A, Karsies D.
    SourceSchool of Health Sciences and Department of Chemistry, Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI, USA. george.liepa@emich.edu

Abstract
    Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a condition that involves the excess production of androgens. It affects up to 10% of all American women and can lead to the development of acne, hirsutism, and infertility. It has also been associated with coronary heart disease, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome. Over half of the women who are diagnosed with PCOS are overweight or obese. Recommendations are made for overweight/obese women to lose weight via diet and exercise. Women with PCOS should also consider maintaining a diet that is patterned after the type 2 diabetes diet. This diet includes an increase in fiber and a decrease in refined carbohydrates, as well as a decrease in trans and saturated fats and an increase in omega-3 and omega-9 fatty acids. Foods that contain anti-inflammatory compounds (fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, and red wine) should also be emphasized. Evidence is provided for the impact of these dietary changes on improvements in the androgen profile of PCOS patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18203965

Thanks for the studies. I would really like to read the full study for a bit of light reading...

Interesting to say the least.

Found this one with more info.. Found The Medical Journal of Australia

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/nov16/kidson/kidson.html

Looks like most of the treatment options are geared toward same treatment options of type 2 diabetes patients. Interesting. Doesn't appear there are many studies about the nutritional treatment of PCOS.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using ground flax seed this week! (it beats fish burps from fish oil supplements! LOL)

I would attest to most of these working for me! :flowerforyou:
  • shar140
    Options
    PS....50g of fiber a day?! :noway:

My stomach rumbled just reading that! lol
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    Thank you very much! I had no idea that losing 5-7% of weight will help improve! I am so thankful that we became pals! :heart:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Appreciate the reminders and glad to hear this is still what they suggest -- been following this basic plan for many year since I also had Type II Diabetes. I was able to reverse that through weight lost, but PCOS is our friend for life even though some symptoms can improve..

Also nice to see someone who jumped the gun retract their statements and actually research PCOS and submit more proof. Thanks to him also :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I actually just started using ground flax seed this week! (it beats fish burps from fish oil supplements! LOL)

I use chia seeds as well as flax seeds...they are both great in greek yogurt and oatmeal!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I had no idea that losing 5-7% of weight will help improve! I am so thankful that we became pals! :heart:

Aw, me too!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I use chia seeds as well as flax seeds...they are both great in greek yogurt and oatmeal!

I just learned grounding the flax seed is better than just adding them ...since it hardly digests as a whole seed...have you heard this?
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read it later.
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • nicnic424
    nicnic424 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I have seen several nutritionist, dieticians, and doctors about my PCOS. None of them have ever told me that information. I has one doctor straight up tell me that I was fat and nothing was going to change until I lost weight. I left the doctor's office with my jaw dragging the floor. I never went back to him.
  • shar140
    Options
    I just learned grounding the flax seed is better than just adding them ...since it hardly digests as a whole seed...have you heard this?

Haven't heard this, but makes sense. Plus, it seems easier for me to eat it in ground form, rather than having to chew the seeds, have them get stuck in my teeth, etc. lol
  • shar140
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I have seen several nutritionist, dieticians, and doctors about my PCOS. None of them have ever told me that information. I has one doctor straight up tell me that I was fat and nothing was going to change until I lost weight. I left the doctor's office with my jaw dragging the floor. I never went back to him.

I can't blame you!! I am so sorry you had this happen. I hate when doctors tell you to do something, but don't help give you the tools to do it. Then again, there are also doctors that give you mis-information (mine wants me on a 1200-calorie diet AND exercising 60-90 min a day, no adding calories?! she says she only eats 1000 cal/day herself...*eyeroll*). But I digress...lol
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

I can't blame you!! I am so sorry you had this happen. I hate when doctors tell you to do something, but don't help give you the tools to do it. Then again, there are also doctors that give you mis-information (mine wants me on a 1200-calorie diet AND exercising 60-90 min a day, no adding calories?! she says she only eats 1000 cal/day herself...*eyeroll*). But I digress...lol

The issue with both family doctors or general internal medicine doctors is that while they know general health, they rarely know proper nutrition with losing weight and keeping it off.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist has me on a 40 carb/30 protein/30 fat diet. Its been working. I also have hypothyroid along with PCOS..so I am taking 1000 mg of Metformin and 45 mg of Armour Thyroid..

Just saw the doc yesterday..and she is really really pleased. They had me on a 1200 cal diet..not thinking I would start working out AND eat right..so they want me to move up to 1500 calories/day..but in increments to make sure it doesnt cause weight gain.

So far I have lost 20 pounds since April..and last time I checked..about 7.5 inches..doing another set of measurements Friday..and I know I have lost more...
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Very helpful information. Thanks for sharing.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The thing with PCOS is alot of women who were diagnosed with diabeties type 2 original had undiganosed PCOS. (whoohoo Embarrasing bodies on tv)

Seeds dont completely digest (well alot of them dont) as our body cant digest them, its kinda similar to sweet corn in your poop.