Is this reasonable?

Options
I've been using MFP for a while now, and I've lost 26 pounds. I'm 5' 10", and I set my goal weight at 155, based upon how my stomach looks, and I might consider going to 150. For many months, all I did was cardio workouts because I was giving my arms time to heal from tendinitis. One month ago, I started resistance training with free weights and weight machines (2-3 times per week). Just about that time, I stopped losing weight, and haven't really lost any since. I'm very close to my goal weight, but the scale has stopped moving. I think my waist has gotten smaller, based upon the belt hole I use, even though I can't notice any visual changes. I've slowly started to increase my muscle mass over the last month.
My question is, is it reasonable to assume that because I've started weight training, I'm putting more muscle on rather than losing fat? Or, have I hit a plateau? I'm not super concerned with the scale numbers, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with my caloric intake. I've been eating back half (sometimes more) of my exercise calories. Since I've started lifting, should I eat more to encourage muscle growth?
Ultimately, I'd like to loose the (smaller) spare tire around my waist, and build up more muscle.

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'll say try to eat your exercises calories back. Yes, you need fuel for muscles, it takes more to maintain/grow then maintaining fat.
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    Hey man............congrats on the 26 lbs. That kicks assss
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on your loss! We've lost about the same amount so I know just what it's like! Good work!

From everything I've read, when you switch to a new routine you can expect to stop losing weight, or even gain a few lbs, for about 3 weeks of your new routine. I know this was certainly true for me when I stopped doing just cardio and started doing the 30 Day shred. I'm only just now starting to lose again.

If it's belly fat you're aiming to lose, I think you're going about it the right way. Keep doing what you're doing, just stick with it! Make sure that you're still doing some cardio, maybe try some high intensity interval training (google can help you find something that works for you!) to really get rid of that belly fat.

Good job on eating back your exercise calories, continue to do that! At least half or a little more. Everything I've read about losing the last bit of belly fat suggests the high intensity interval training and really watching your diet. Make sure you're eating good fats and getting enough protein to promote your muscle growth! You may want to edit your macro settings in MFP to reflect this.

Good luck!
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    trength training barely touche your calorie count, but doe put muscle on. If you want your scales to move do cardio, if you want to tone do strength.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep up exactly what you are doing. (Eating half or more of your calories back) and still hitting the weights. When you are this close to goal, it's better to use the mirror rather than the scale to judge progress.

Congrats on the loss, now is just a matter of some fine tuning.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a while now, and I've lost 26 pounds. I'm 5' 10", and I set my goal weight at 155, based upon how my stomach looks, and I might consider going to 150. For many months, all I did was cardio workouts because I was giving my arms time to heal from tendinitis. One month ago, I started resistance training with free weights and weight machines (2-3 times per week). Just about that time, I stopped losing weight, and haven't really lost any since. I'm very close to my goal weight, but the scale has stopped moving. I think my waist has gotten smaller, based upon the belt hole I use, even though I can't notice any visual changes. I've slowly started to increase my muscle mass over the last month.
    My question is, is it reasonable to assume that because I've started weight training, I'm putting more muscle on rather than losing fat? Or, have I hit a plateau? I'm not super concerned with the scale numbers, but I'm trying to figure out the best thing to do with my caloric intake. I've been eating back half (sometimes more) of my exercise calories. Since I've started lifting, should I eat more to encourage muscle growth?
    Ultimately, I'd like to loose the (smaller) spare tire around my waist, and build up more muscle.

Believe it or not, although I am a woman, I go to Men's Fitness magazine if I have a strength training question. They do have some good basic information for lifting, from nutrition to whatever. I usually do read the "whatever" articles. LOL Hope you find this particular article helpful to you! http://www.mensfitness.com/fitness/strength-training/10-ways-gain-muscle
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great answers. I decided to change my goal to 1/2 pound per week, and to continue to eat half or more of my exercise calories. I'm going to increase my weight training as well.