Quick, Filling, Super Spicy 55 Calorie Snack

Options
finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
I needed something a little bit filling that “had something to say.”

I mixed the following ingredients in a coffee cup and let the flavors marry for about 5-10 minutes:

tumblr_lon0tpU6Hv1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

1) .5 serving of “Kimchee Base” (also referred to as "Kimchi Paste")
2) 1 serving of habanero sauce
3) 1 tsp minced garlic
4) 1 tsp minced onion
5) 1 tsp spicy spaghetti seasoning
6) 2 tsp water

Then I drained and rinsed 1 package of tofu shirataki noodles (only 40 calories for the entire package) using hot water.

Next I sprayed a skillet with cooking spray and let it heat up to “medium-high” before adding the tofu shirataki noodles.

Tofu shirataki noodles absolutely do NOT stick and are easy to stir fry. They’re practically goof-proof.

Once the noodles were piping hot I removed the pan from the heat and poured the spicy mixture over it, ensuring that I mixed everything together well.

It was delicious— and over a half-pound of food had only 55 calories!

Edit: In case any of you are not familiar with tofu shirataki noodles, you'll find them in the tofu section of your grocery (obviously, I suppose) although they're usually cheaper in your local Asian market, if you have one ($2.49 at Publix vs. $1.99 at local Asian markets).

If I remember correctly the shirataki plant is a yam-like plant and they turn the tuber into a powder and make noodles out of it (among other things). They subsequently found that when they blended tofu into it that the consistency was closer to spaghetti noodles. You can buy shirataki noodles but I prefer the tofu shirataki, myself.

Cheers!

-Chelle

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I love spicy.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cbonuz
    cbonuz Posts: 63
    Options
    wow, this sounds really good...thanks for sharing!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    bump, I like spicy
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out the noodles. They look like a good base for a variety of toppings. The spicy...I'll need to adjust that accordingly.
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! THANK YOU!!!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    buump!
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    i eat tofu shirataki almost every day. it's SO helpful for those times when you're super hungry and don't have many calories left to spare
  • shootoutx3
    shootoutx3 Posts: 24
    Options
    oooo I need to look into this!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I've got a truckload of those - and L:heart::heart::heart:VE spicy! Now to find the kimchee base...
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks! I've never heard of these noodles but I love anything tofu. I'll adjust the spice factor but this is a great idea:flowerforyou:
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOVE this idea. . .and I love spicy! I grow my own super hot peppers for things like this! Habeneros are my mildest pepper in the garden ;)
  • Monika135
    Monika135 Posts: 66
    Options
    Ohhh...thanks! I can't wait to try this!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    YUM!
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. i'll have to track them down.
  • tammywho327
    tammywho327 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey All- found the noodles at my local Natural Grocers-Vitamin Cottage for $1.45 a pkg!! Ready to try them!
  • djcon
    djcon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting more of your simple yet delicious recipes...keep them coming:happy:
  • chelsea_carter22
    chelsea_carter22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump