Former WW, giving this a shot...

Options
pbajwally
pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
Hello everyone! New to this site, and anxious to stick with a program this time. I had success (although not lifetime goal) with Weight Watchers but quit paying when life happened and I couldn't afford to do it. Found this free site and I'm hoping I can stick with it. I started C25K at the end of June -- today was the first day of Week 4 for me. One of my friends that I'm doing it with said she was using this site & really liked it, so here I am to give it a try! Anxious to meet other people in the same situation as well as find a good support system because that is what really motivates me.

Replies

• kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am also a former WW member. I lost most of my weight on WW but with their new program started putting it back on. I don't like it at all. The people here are so supportive and friendly, you will love it. And you will find success! Friend me if you wish!
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Howdie :)

I am a former ww!
  • angimarie
    angimarie Posts: 31
    Options
    This site really does help A LOT! It's nice to be able to surround yourself with people that are going through the same thing as you. Friend me if you'd like!
    Good luck! (:
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    also a former ww! i always loved ww -- til they updated their program in december. compared to the new program, i much prefer mfp -- and it's free!
  • kristinh917
    Options
    Hi there! I am also a former Weight Watchers member. I had to stop going because I recently became unemployed and I felt like my money needed to go to more important things (student loans, car payments, etc). A friend of mine on the YouTube weight loss community recommended this site so I figured I would give it a try. Best of luck to you!
  • alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    I am a former ww (liar) too! Hoping to finally lose the 40+ I've been losing & finding the last 15 years. Were you excercising when you started the c25k?
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm not a former WW (I hate paying for stuff like that) but you'll love this site. I have never met a more supportive bunch then most of the people on here. They'll give you the support AND the constructive criticism needed to reach any and all goals.

Welcome to the site and I hope you find it as helpful as I have.

Please feel free to friend me =)
  • amythorp
    amythorp Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm a former WW too and it is really interesting to hear that people don't like the new version. Thought I was the only one losing the plot! (or not losing so to speak)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Me too and so far so good! I really like it here. Good luck with everything and feel free to friend me too!
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    welcome! I used to WW too and let me just tell you that you will find an abundance of support on here and the calorie counters are helpful. I love MFP and its Free so even better.

Have fun!

Tina
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I also have enjoyed success with WW, but this is so much easier for me. I feel more in control with tracking actual calories rather than points. WW taught me to love fiber and healthier foods and I appreciate that about them, but I like this free program so much more. I believe this is much easier to stick with long term as well.
  • TheRaven2011
    Options
    Hi there. I am a former WW member as well. Just sick of going to meetings each week and never really know how many calories I am eating, or nutrition. Ready to take charge of this and do this for me!

Good luck!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Welcome a board!
    I really like using MFP instead of WW. I am NOT a math person, so I hate carrying around a calculator and trying to figure out how many points everything is worth - so calories make more sense to me. They are printed on most labels clearly, and it's a lifestyle change I can stick to! Many of the concepts are the same (moderation, get moving, eat cleaner, etc) but I love the freedom MFP gives me. I can even us it from my smart phone!
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was very successful with WW, but that was several years ago. I gained back some of the weight I had lost and when I could fit into less and less clothes in my closet, I decided it was time to do something. I didn't want to pay for WW and I didn't want to have to try to fit meetings into my crazy schedule. I had recently gotten a Droid phone and just started searching for apps and came across MFP and I absolutely love it! I much prefer it to WW. The community of support is fantastic and it is so handy to have with me on the go so that I can make smarter choices. I also find counting calories MUCH easier than calculating points. And, I am extra motivated to exercise because I have exercise goals in addition to my calorie goals. And, I also make sure that I track my water (like I did with WW.) I think it's the best of all worlds. Welcome, and I am sure you will find success!
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm still doing weight watchers . . .and I absolutely HATE it! I did it a few years ago and got on quite well but this new diet they are doing I really can't get my head round at all . . .hence why I searched for this site. Only been on here since the weekend but its made me feel more motivated than I have done in a long time! Everyone has been so nice and supportive! Going to keep going to ww for a while . . .I sort of need the pressure of the weigh-in . .but im going to record my food on here and not with ww.

good luck . .feel free to friend me :)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will find lots of information here. I like that I can track my calorie intake easily and I eat back my exercise calories, (not everyone does). I've lost 13 pounds in 50 days. This may not sound very quick, but I'm 61 years old and my progress seems pretty good to me.
    I suggest you read the message boards; they will answer lots of questions.
    Good Luck
  • pbajwally
    pbajwally Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am so overwhelmed by all the positive response & reaction -- never before on any board have I felt so welcomed so quickly! :) You guys are GREAT!!! :) LOL I look forward to taking this journey with all of you! And, I've gotta be honest -- it feels good to see so many other former WW's who have found more success with this site -- and a free site, at that! -- just makes me feel all the better about the decision I've made!
  • wildsavvy
    wildsavvy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new too, and also a former WW. I did fine also until they changed the program, and even with eating fruit cautiously, I stayed the same, weight-wise, more often than not. Heck, I can do that myself for free! :)

I'm so glad that I found this site - it's awesome!
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I did WW for six years. Lost the weight. Matter of fact, I got to goal. Got to goal 4 times!!!!!! Never stayed there. Always gained it back cause I couldn't seem to grasp maintenance. The last two years of half heartedly doing WW, I managed to gain back all that I had originally lost. I did not like the new program. When fruit became "free", I started gaining. Not only was I no longer losing for 2 years, I started gaining more! So........kicked them to the curb 3 weeks ago and joined MFP. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks!!! That is more weight than I have lost in the last two years with WW. I just stayed the same or gained.

I love it here!!! The support is fantastic and the calorie counter was a HUGE wake up call for me. Friend me if you like!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm still a WW member (and on staff), but I'm here because I am so frustrated with the new Points Plus program. I had several people on the WW community suggest I count calories and track points to see what was going on and someone suggested this site. I LOVE it! After just 6 days here, I could see my problem (only needed to be eating 26 to 28 of the daily points and avoiding activity points except on days I ran or hiked for several hours).

This site has really opened my eyes and helped me get back within my goal range.

I am so happy to know I wasn't the only one struggling with the new WW program... for several months I was getting more and more upset trying to figure what I was doing wrong. I quickly found out it wasn't me, it was the program!