NSV - my 50 pound goal

Options
I didn't reach my 50 pound goal before vacation this year, however I was at 48 pounds, so I hoped I had lost enough weight, to accomplish my personal goal.

Last year on our vacation, I was unable to ride a few of the roller coasters with my kids, as I was to fat to get the support bars to latch. It was an embarrasement for me, and for my kids, to walk off the platform in front of everyone. The shame of being "one of those guys" - I don't think I heard anything being said, but I could feel the stares. Watching my family having fun, while I sat on the bench was painful. I promised myself, this would never happen again.

As I approached the first ride last Friday (7/15), my heart was beating fast, and I was hoping (and praying) that all my hard work over the last 5 months, would result in a different outcome.

I sat down in the seat, I took a deep breath, and pulled the shoulder harness down. So far so good, but there's this crazy seatbelt thing that you have to attach to the bottom. I braced myself, closed my eyes, and snapped the seatbelt in place.

To my surprise, I had inches (and I mean inches) to spare. Last year, it took 2 ride attendants, to push on my belly, to try to get the seatbelt to buckle, to no avail. This year, no issues!!

It brought tears to my eyes - all those laps around the parking lot, walking during lunch and in the evenings, eating right, passing on food pleasures, just to reach this point, was all worth it. Immediately after getting off the ride, I ran around (beating my kids) and got right back on. I think the feeling of freedom from weight and bondage was more of a rush, than the ride itself.

I hope this brings encouragement to those on your own weight-loss journey. It's so worth it! Thank you MFP!

Replies

• Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    SO inspirational my dear! Almost brought tears to my eyes! Congrats on such an amazing NSV!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    That's amazing & inspiring! I hope you enjoy many more precious and fun! moments with your family!! <3
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    great story, glad you are reaping the benefits from your hard work!
  • Zelsawaf
    Zelsawaf Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story. You should truly be proud. WAY TO GO!
  • jah7700
    jah7700 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • raven6704
    raven6704 Posts: 16
    Options
    I had the same problem about 5 years ago my husband and I took his sisters to the fair, we were all going to ride the Claw together and the ride attendant couldnt get the harness to latch and I had to get off the ride, It was horrible, I got off the ride and watch them have fun without me, I was so depressed. I havent been back to the fair and tried to ride the rides since! I have los 35lbs since then and a month ago we went to sea world my husband wanted me to ride I roller coasted with me, he bugged me telling me over and over that there was no way I wouldnt fit! So I finaly decided to try and I fit!!! I was soo happy and this year when the fair comes around I'm riding those rides!!
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That's great! I had this problem 2 summers ago when I went to Cedar Point with some friends-- the first time I couldn't fit into a ride crushed me. I need to go back so I have the redemption!
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    How fantastic for you I can just picture how you must have felt. Well done you, and here's wishing you many more rollercoaster rides in the future!!
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    This is such an beautiful and inspirational story. Congrats on this accomplishment and all the hard work behind it!
  • roballesteros
    Options
    Very Inspirational stroy, thanks for sharing...you should be very proud of yourself, great accomplishment!
  • AutumnisBSB
    AutumnisBSB Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is one of my goals to be able to fit in any ride I want too.
  • mstcass
    mstcass Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. :=}
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Insanely great story ... good for you! (No, really, I mean it: GOOD FOR YOU! -- and on so many levels.) Woooot!
  • missxchelly
    missxchelly Posts: 180
    Options
    I didn't reach my 50 pound goal before vacation this year, however I was at 48 pounds, so I hoped I had lost enough weight, to accomplish my personal goal.

Last year on our vacation, I was unable to ride a few of the roller coasters with my kids, as I was to fat to get the support bars to latch. It was an embarrasement for me, and for my kids, to walk off the platform in front of everyone. The shame of being "one of those guys" - I don't think I heard anything being said, but I could feel the stares. Watching my family having fun, while I sat on the bench was painful. I promised myself, this would never happen again.

As I approached the first ride last Friday (7/15), my heart was beating fast, and I was hoping (and praying) that all my hard work over the last 5 months, would result in a different outcome.

I sat down in the seat, I took a deep breath, and pulled the shoulder harness down. So far so good, but there's this crazy seatbelt thing that you have to attach to the bottom. I braced myself, closed my eyes, and snapped the seatbelt in place.

To my surprise, I had inches (and I mean inches) to spare. Last year, it took 2 ride attendants, to push on my belly, to try to get the seatbelt to buckle, to no avail. This year, no issues!!

It brought tears to my eyes - all those laps around the parking lot, walking during lunch and in the evenings, eating right, passing on food pleasures, just to reach this point, was all worth it. Immediately after getting off the ride, I ran around (beating my kids) and got right back on. I think the feeling of freedom from weight and bondage was more of a rush, than the ride itself.

I hope this brings encouragement to those on your own weight-loss journey. It's so worth it! Thank you MFP!

This is incredible. That is one of the reasons I am actually trying to lose weight by Halloween. About 5 years ago, I could barely fit on the rides at the California State Fair and had to have two attendants like squeeze me into some of the rides. How horrifying to wait in those long lines and then have everyone look at you when you can't fit, and you just wasted your time. A few weeks ago, I went to Six Flags for work. A huge amusement park. I didn't think I would fit on the rides, but the two I did go on, I fit but it was still tight. When I left my goal was to lose as much as weight as possible so when I go back for Halloween I can ride the rides with no problem and have a lot of extra room to spare, so your story is incredibly inspiring to me. I don't know that I will go or not because though I've lost almost 20 pounds I haven't lost but maybe 1 inch from my waist so I might still be in the same boat as I was in a few weeks ago, but I never know (; Thank you so much for this <33
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Fantastic NSV. Brought tears to my eyes.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing, well done! You should be so proud of yourself! :smile:
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations!

I felt this one too - more often being able to fit in a booth at a restaurant without having to push the table back.
  • aarostoc
    aarostoc Posts: 22
    Options
    For missxchelly - I want to keep encouraging you. You have weeks before Halloween, and a lot can change in a short amount of time. I believe in you, and want to hear your success story!!

For all the others who have replied - THANK YOU! Your kindness will keep me motivated to reach my future goals. And I hope sometime soon, I can return to the roller coaster that defeated me, and defeat it as a normal person.
  • krisnatm
    krisnatm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Awesome NSV! Congrats!
  • sethes
    sethes Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is the exact thing that finally motivated me as well. 2 months ago at a theme park with my kids and I couldnt get on many of the rides. In two months since then I am down about 25 lbs and 19 of that since using MFP 42 days ago. Keep it up,our families deserve the best of us!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!