Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

General Questions

Hi, this is my second week of MFP and I must say eating better and exercising has made me feel a lot better. I did have a few questions though. I have heard a person can lose weight at a quicker pace if he/she cuts out the carbs. I have cut out white bread, but I LOVE PASTA. Chicken Alfredo is my fav. So is it ok to eat carbs as long as I stay within my designated calories for the day set by MFP? Also is it ok to eat larger portions if I stay within my calorie limit? Someone please help!!! Shelly

Replies

• scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    It depends a lot on how well your body processes sugar. Carbs turn to sugar in your blood. If you are efficient at burning that sugar then they aren't that big a problem. If you aren't that efficient (like me) then your body converts that sugar to fat because it can store fat more readily than it can sugar. (This is a very simple explanation that I'm sure someone else can elaborate on better).

Personally, I recommend eating a low carb diet. I try and keep my carbs under 130 per day. My dietician recommends about 45g at each meal and then 20g or less for snacks.

Also don't eat anything that is white or can be white (except cauliflower). That 's a good general rule for eating carbs.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    OP-

There are low-carb diets that are proven to work well like keto which has you eat VERY low carb every day of the week, and then have a refeed day where you eat high carbs. Make sure you read up on keto as it's not for everyone.

There's also carb cycling where you have EOD refeeds as well, eat low, eat med, eat high, rinse and repeat etc.

As far as pastas that you enjoy, eat the whole wheat pastas if you can. Yummy. :)
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    I eat pasta a great deal, I never really understood the agony of cutting out bread and carbs. They are not the best thing for you but I am MISERABLE without them. I want this weight-loss to be sustainable so I eat carbs, I just don't eat over my calories and make sure I get the nutrition needed.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Different bodies respond differently. As long as you are still losing and feeling good while doing so, then by all means keep eating the pasta in moderation. I don't think carbs are the enemy but I do try to avoid the "white carbs" for the most part, subbing whole grains for the white flours whenever possible.