Whole wheat couscous...what do you add to it?

Options
kmcgrath1
kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
I have some leftover grilled chicken and a whole container of ww couscous that I can make. Would like some ideas of what to add to the couscous so it's not so bland.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I cook it in veggie broth instead of water to give it more flavor!
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I make it into a salad with bell peppers, green onion, tomato, and cucumber. A drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. So good!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash seasonings are great!
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash seasonings are great!
    Totally doing this tonight.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Heck I would be happy just to find it. . Henry's farmers Market place doesn't have it. . I keep looking for it. But I cook my regular cous cous with broth. . I like to put red pepper flake in there, and fresh parmesan when it is done. . Just a though. . Or I mix it with a little curry paste. and fresh veggies.:bigsmile:
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    BUMP
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    I tend to add curry powder or chicken tikka seasoning to give it a bit of zing! Hope you find something you like! :smile:
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Black bean salsa!
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yes, broth is good. So is a bit of tomato sauce. I like mine cooked in with stewed tomatoes and Zucchini chopped very small. Add the zucchini at the end with the couscous so it cooks only a little bit and adds a bit of crunch. The stewed tomatoes of course need to simmer to get the flavor of being from a can out of them (unless you stew and jar your own!)
  • lyndsaysutton82
    Options
    I add a little bit of garlic, basil or oregano, and fat free or reduced fat Feta cheese. The feta cheese has a lot of flavor just in itself. I also like to add red bell pepper (grilled if i have it).
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I also cook in veggie broth for more flavor. You can also add fresh parsley, cilantro, a squeeze of lemon juice, some feta cheese, sauteed portabello mushrooms. Since it is whole wheat couscous you can really add any type of spice you normally enjoy such as garlic, onion powder, etc. I have also made couscous with bunches of veggies like summer squash, zucchini, mushrooms, chopped up olives, chopped tomatoes, etc.
  • crysofmyk
    crysofmyk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh, an you could add in your grilled chicken when cooking the tomatoes and have a one pot dinner. Just make sure you have enough liquid. baby carrots thrown in is also good.
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Couscous is one of my favorite one-pot meal go-to foods. Among others, I have it with:

*lime juice, cumin, salsa and black beans
    *chickpeas, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, spinach and raisins
    *cannelini beans, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and mushrooms
    *kidney beans, green and red bell peppers, diced tomatoes and chili powder
  • AmbitiouslyMe
    Options
    i had actually just eaten this for dinner. i fry off the bell peppers, courgettes and mushrooms with herbs and spices then add the cooked cous cous in the pan and stir together. i find that it held the flavour better when i finished it in the frying pan. sometimes i add a lil feta cheese if there is no meat in it.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    This is a salad I make that makes a ton and is cheap. I had it last night for dinner with some tuna.

Couscous Salad

1 box plain or whole wheat couscous (near the rice at Meijer, but cheaper at Yasmeen’s)
    2 hothouse cucumbers
    4 tomatoes
    Dried dill, about 2 TB
    Lemon juice from one lemon
    Olive oil
    Feta cheese (optional)

I don’t measure anything, so everything is approximate

• Make couscous according to package directions (usually 1.5 C water or 1 can chicken broth, bring to a boil, add couscous, stir, cover and remove from heat, like Minute Rice)

• Chop cucumbers and tomatoes.

• Add cucumbers, tomatoes, dill and lemon juice to couscous. Mix well.

• Drizzle a little olive oil and mix. Season with salt.

Serve cold. Top each serving with feta cheese.

You can also add olives to the salad as well.

Note: I make the couscous in a large stockpot so I can mix everything together in the pot and not dirty a bowl just for mixing. This makes a ton, and you can add more dill/lemon juice the next day if needed.