I just don't understand. Can you help?

Options
2»

Replies

• andsteel
    andsteel Posts: 1
    Options
    When the weight was slowly coming off, did your cloths fit better? did you take measurements? you could loose 10 lbs of muscle and fat by laying around. but working out, you can loose 5lbs of fat but gain 5 lbs of muscle. and only show a slight difference on the scale. but look much better and slimmer.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You could be losing muscle mass. Muscle does weigh significantly more than fat.

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Such a huge misconception that people need to get out of their head. Muscle takes up less room than fat. So you can fit 5lbs of muscle into a space currently occupying 1lb of fat.

1lb of feathers is the same as 1lb of bricks. Its just that it will take a whole lot more feathers to make a lb. Get it??

When gaining muscle you will lose inches, but may not lose weight.

Yes muscle does weigh more than fat. No one said 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat. When comparing weights of 2 different things you should keep volume constant, and if you do that muscle will always weigh more than fat.

There is the difference - muscle and fat do not have the same volume therefore can not be compared equally. Apples and oranges. But basics physics says 1lb of bricks is equal to 1lb of feathers therefore 1lb of fat is equal to 1lb of muscle. But I agree that the volumes will be drasically different! Again why I said you are able to fit 5lbs of muscle into a space that is currently holding 1lb of fat. So....the scale may or may not show a decrease, but the pants will be less tight and inches will be lost.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I am going to try and re-incorporate the exercise back into my routine. Hopefully I'm not losing muscle because that took a LOT of hard work to get in the first place.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You could be losing muscle mass. Muscle does weigh significantly more than fat.

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Such a huge misconception that people need to get out of their head. Muscle takes up less room than fat. So you can fit 5lbs of muscle into a space currently occupying 1lb of fat.

1lb of feathers is the same as 1lb of bricks. Its just that it will take a whole lot more feathers to make a lb. Get it??

When gaining muscle you will lose inches, but may not lose weight.

Yes muscle does weigh more than fat. No one said 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1lb of fat. When comparing weights of 2 different things you should keep volume constant, and if you do that muscle will always weigh more than fat.

There is the difference - muscle and fat do not have the same volume therefore can not be compared equally. Apples and oranges. But basics physics says 1lb of bricks is equal to 1lb of feathers therefore 1lb of fat is equal to 1lb of muscle. But I agree that the volumes will be drasically different! Again why I said you are able to fit 5lbs of muscle into a space that is currently holding 1lb of fat. So....the scale may or may not show a decrease, but the pants will be less tight and inches will be lost.

Not to get sucked into this argument AGAIN. But volume is subjective. There is no specific number of volume for anything. You can compare equal amounts of anything in volume (liters) or in weight (pounds). Whichever you choose determines the result. If you compare a liter of fat with a liter of muscle, then muscle weighs more. If you compare a pound of fat with a pound of muscle, then the muscle will be smaller.