"fresco" items

Options
I just discovered the "fresco" menu items at Taco Bell and they're really tasty! The menu was a little misleading since the items are listed in a section titled "drive thru diet" whatever that means! Anyway, these items come with no cheese or sour cream and a sort of "dry salsa" of lettuce, onions and finely chopped tomatos. The taste was actually BETTER than the regular menu items in my opinion and a fresco soft chicken taco and fresco chicken burrito supreme were just 500 calories! I guess I'll be "going fresco" from now on at the Bell! I've only been using MFP for two days and I'm already making healthier menu choices!

Replies

• aneumany
    aneumany Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Love Fresco!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing last week! My husband asked me to stop there (on my way home from the gym). Knowing we had nothing to throw together at home, I thought "why not?" They were really not bad, actually. pretty tasty and, as you stated not too high in calories. :) Not an everyday thing for me, but when he's craving TB, I know what I'll be getting.
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the "fresco" menu items at Taco Bell and they're really tasty! The menu was a little misleading since the items are listed in a section titled "drive thru diet" whatever that means! Anyway, these items come with no cheese or sour cream and a sort of "dry salsa" of lettuce, onions and finely chopped tomatos. The taste was actually BETTER than the regular menu items in my opinion and a fresco soft chicken taco and fresco chicken burrito supreme were just 500 calories! I guess I'll be "going fresco" from now on at the Bell! I've only been using MFP for two days and I'm already making healthier menu choices!
    Good for you - Congratulation!

Yep, the Fresco menu @ TB is my "go to" choice for fast food. I usually get Fresco Soft Chicken Ranchero Taco - with a couple of fire sauce and a diet soda. <300 Cal.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Be careful about tortillas, though! They're made with lard. :(
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Watch out for sodium!
  • reagansmom05
    Options
    yes i get the fresco chicken soft taco for 150cal! it's yummy! i also accidentally ordered the steak one, only looking at the calories and not the price and it was good too!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    blech, taco bell is nasty lol
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The drive through diet is based on a lady who went to taco bell every day and lost weight. The Taco Bell Jared, haha.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I noticed the same thing last week! My husband asked me to stop there (on my way home from the gym). Knowing we had nothing to throw together at home, I thought "why not?" They were really not bad, actually. pretty tasty and, as you stated not too high in calories. :) Not an everyday thing for me, but when he's craving TB, I know what I'll be getting.
    my husband asked me to pick up TB for him for lunch on my way back home from the gym...just the smell of it made me lose my appetite for the whole day.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    when Nicole Richie was losing her weight, i heard that her nutritionist worked in Taco Bell so she could still have her favs there, just as fresco options. i LOVE taco bell, fav fast food. :o)
  • leonardk09
    leonardk09 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    TACO BELL > ALL OTHER FAST FOOD.

Fresco menu is amazing if I just really want a quick taco without feeling guilty. However, 1-3 times a month I'll indulge in a regular menu item combo thing.. without the soda. Best choice in mah life. Otherwise, I don't eat much fast food, or fresco menu.
  • Kerseygeek
    Kerseygeek Posts: 225
    Options
    I love the fresco steak soft tacos. 2 are only 300 cal. That makes hubby happy that we can still go there. Although he likes many fresco items too.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    lol, I used to be the same way. No diet kick, just the side effects of having watched Super Size Me and not wanting TB or Mickey D's anymore for YEARS. The thought of either of those places made me nauseous. But, I got over it. We all have our "things." Things that make us want to "ralph" and things that make us feel we just MUST have it, lol. :glasses:
    my husband asked me to pick up TB for him for lunch on my way back home from the gym...just the smell of it made me lose my appetite for the whole day.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    12% Signature Recipe, YUM.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    People gripe about the sodium and the quality, but for fast food options Taco Bell's fresco menu is not a bad choice. I mean all fast food has high sodium and we know it. I get 2 chicken fresco soft tacos every now and again for lunch. Its like only 300 calories for 2 of them. And I agree, the fresco style is actually better than the regular soft tacos. The pico stuff or whatever is really good compared to lettuce, cheese, and sourcream on the regular soft tacos.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell -- YUM! I haven't tried the fresco items yet... I've been meaning to do that but I go for a bean burrito and that is SO filling... yes, high in calories but worth it for me!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Love the fresco menu and actually when I realized I didn't have to give up fast food totally I decided to make my own fast food menu. I thought of all the places my husband likes to stop and eat on the weekends and went through their nutritional information and found things that were "lower calories/fat/sodium." I made a list of the things I could have from each and kept it in my wallet so now I feel like i have an option in the drive through. Some places didn't have anything I felt like I could eat, but some places will surprise you at a few of their items that aren't terribly bad!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Before, I would go for a "Grilled stuffed steak Buritto" - 820 Calories AND/or a "healthy" Taco Salad 770 Calories.

Now I can eat about 200 Calories there, and resist all the posters of the XX:L Burrito. Progress. :)