don't know if I can complete C25K

Options
Hi I just ran W2D1 of C25K and my joints and shins hurt so bad I don't think I can compete the week let alone the program. I just bought new shoes from a reputable shoe store because of my shin splints but I don't seem to be getting past this I'm dreading my nest run, help I need Inspiration and advice!

Replies

• CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    Try buying some kind of glucosamine joint medicine at your local pharmacy. I like Flex--Min or Joint Juice. Also, eat more bananas. Don't give up - just try to do the program every OTHER day, and if you can't, then just walk, and try again.
    I am on week 11 of "couch to 10k" - today is the longest run yet - 45 minutes running, 1 walking, 25 minutes running... ugh!! :D
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Rest for a week. Do elliptical, bike or swimming for cardio. Ice shins for 15 minutes 2-3 times a day. Take anti inflammatory. Ease back into it slowly. If your shins hurt next week then take another week off. It sucks but I had them so bad in February I could barely walk. I had to take a month off from anything that was impact on my legs.

FYI- I still have shin splints but am training for a half marathon. I am sure to ice after every run and they don't bother me too much now. If I feel like it is too much I scale back for a week.

Also, I have a high arch and have the superfeet insoles in my shoes. they have helped tremendously. Perhaps something like that would help you. A good running store would be able to tell you.
  • celtickarasu
    Options
    I had the same problem. I have bad knees and I got shin splints. Then I read that a common problem with beginners is that they start too fast. So I cut down how fast I was walking and I stopped trying to sprint for that minute. I started over power walking and slowly jogging. I know it will take me longer to reach my goal this way, but I'm not in debilitating pain. I think that's a fair trade off.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Make sure you're properly stretching before and after each run. Are you running at an easy pace? Start slow and do an easy jog (you should be able to say a few sentences per breath with an easy jog) and build up to actual running.

If it doesn't get better, I'd check with a doctor.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that shin splints are from an inbalance in the muscles in your leg. I used to get them BAD, but I did alot of what is recommended in the article. I did a ton of cross training (lunges, squats, etc.) and don't have them anymore.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-290--529-2-3X6-3,00.html
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and "write" the ABCs with your toes. That is a great stretch for shin splints. Also, freeze water bottles, and roll them up and down your shins, I have been told that helps as well. If you just legitimately can't do W2D2, repeat W2D1 the next time. Running isn't for everyone, but, I don't think that 4 runs in is giving it a fair shot. No pain, no gain. You will have to push yourself. If you stay in your comfort zone, you won't accomplish anything, and, to be honest, from the title of this post, you don't have the right mindset right now. Get your head in the game! Running is mostly mental.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Rest for a week. Do elliptical, bike or swimming for cardio. Ice shins for 15 minutes 2-3 times a day. Take anti inflammatory. Ease back into it slowly. If your shins hurt next week then take another week off. It sucks but I had them so bad in February I could barely walk. I had to take a month off from anything that was impact on my legs.

and

Make sure you're properly stretching before and after each run. Are you running at an easy pace? Start slow and do an easy jog (you should be able to say a few sentences per breath with an easy jog) and build up to actual running.

I agree with brandilee81 and abbie017.

Don't give up - but give yourself time to recover.

When I was struggling at the beginning of C25K I took a couple of weeks off and just concentrated on walking every day for at least half an hour. Then I eased back into the program gradually.

You can do it! :smile:
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I've done C25K a few times, (I restart after I get to the end), and Week 2 always seems to be when my shin splints kick in. They WILL get better, though. Stick with it! You might just need to add extra rest days and slow down your pace. Some people I know do each week TWICE so that they build themselves into that impact better. Don't be afraid to tone down your intensity... There's nothing wrong with starting off slow (literally), especially if your other option is to quit entirely. Stretching, ice, rest, and cross-training (simple leg exercises, like lunges, etc.) will help ease the pain, and eventually your body will grow accustomed to the impact of running. Repeatedly slamming your poor feet onto the pavement at 6+ miles per hour will take some time to get used to. :)
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm going to keep going, maybe take it easy next time I,m an ex collage athlete (swimming) and a Martial artist but because of a very long illness and the medications I have to take every day. I put on 40 pounds. I know how to push my self to extremes I just stared swimming again and am up to a 3000yd work out. but also at my age ( 47 ) I,m not sure how much pushing I should do.running was never a big part of my training program and is new to me so maybe my body is protesting that I,m asking it to do something completely unfamiliar.When I made my post I was in allot of pain so that led to a short post. I am icing after my runs and I'm doing the alphabet just not laying down I will defiantly try all your suggestion maybe get on the stationary bike or the elliptical for the rest of the week.
  • monjet13
    monjet13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The frozen water bottle thing sounds really great I will defiantly do that! we used to roll our shins with rolling pins in martial arts class to toughen them up.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I had the same issues when I first started C25K. What has helped immensely is ChiRunning, proper running shoes, and following RICE after runs. There were many days I was hobbling around just walking, but I'm much better now. (And I've made it through the program).
  • stephank50
    Options
    You can do it....Promise. I started last September with the goal of a 1/2 marathon. Incredibly ambition and may be a little insane. I didn't start running to lose weight (it was a byproduct), but just a BHAG (big hairy audicious goal). It took three weeks to complete my first 3 mile run (5K). And it was painful along the way. But I did it. Long story short, I've run two 1/2 marathon in a year. And I continue to run.

What I learned from the experience:

1. You don't need a trainer or some fancy motivational tool to get started - just the desire and willingness to succeed.
    2. Get fitted with good equipment - really good running shoes. It is worth it. And replace as often as needed to avoid injuries.
    3. When you don't feel like running physically - don't. Take days off if needed. But you need to remain committed mentally.
    4. Find a buddy - spouse, friend, someone to go along with you; even if they are on a bike. Support is huge.
    5. Don't give up!

I'll run one or two 1/2 marathons this year. Why? Because it is a challenge for me and I get to lose weight too.
  • dmcgee222
    Options
    dont give up. I started the C25K at the end of feb. of this year by may I was doing the 28 minute runs. Allergies started acting up and I stopped for awhile. Then I kinda felt intimidated by the long runs because I was not running very fast and thought my 5k time would be slow, so I started over, and I started over again and just got comfortable with it. You know what? The day before yesterday I picked up a flyer for an October 1 5k run complete with the map. So yesterday when I got off work instead of going to the gym I just hit the 5k trail, and finished. My time was not the greatest, it was 41 min 14 seconds and instead feeling defeated, I felt accomplished because I finished. I jogged that long on hills curves upwind down wind and did not stop, now I want to better my time. What helped me out too is I share an office with a girl who does half marathons and iron man comps 100 mile bike rides and she told me to not worry about the time because the first hurdle is doing it. During a race there are going to be others with a time close to mine because they are starting too. Now the goal is to better myself and since I know I can do it I feel so much better about it. Keep it up, the program works. If you have to repeat weeks to get comfortable do it, even the website will tell you that. If you need to step back a few weeks thats fine too, just stick with it! Good luck to you!