Carbs - Dietary Fiber = Less carbs?

Options
gotabayqh
gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
I've always heard that you can take the total amount of carbs minus the dietary fiber and that gives the actual amount of carbs that will affect your body. Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to limit my carbs to 135/day. My diary's open if any has any suggestions. Thanks in advance!! :)

Replies

• aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    bump.... intrested
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    BUMP, I'd heard that too but forgot, now I want to know.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your "net" carbs would be "total" carbs minus fiber.
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    That is what they teach in diabetes education classes, specifically carb counting classes. If your meal contains at least 5 grams of fiber you subtract 1/2 of the fiber from your carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, net carbs = total carbs minus fiber. The carbs in fiber don't impact your blood sugar. If you aren't already tracking fiber, you should so you can easily see where you are in relation to your carb goal during the day.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I believe so. Read something like that before. The food label count those fiber as carb.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump, read later:smile:
  • scubacat
    scubacat Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My understanding is its because fiber has a minimal impact on blood sugar. So "net carbs" would be carbs minus fiber
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes - fiber is kinda like "free calories." Your body can't absorb fiber - but very important nutrition wise. Weight Watchers (have not used in years) gives you credit points for so much fiber.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    A great article to read, from WebMD, "When a Carb's Not a Carb: The Net Carb Debate"

http://women.webmd.com/features/net-carb-debate

Love the end of the article:

"Whole foods, like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, should be the foundation of diet," says Karmally. "Because if you miss out on these foods, then you end up missing out on a whole bunch of nutrients and antioxidants that have a potential benefit on reducing the incidence of chronic, degenerative diseases."