Finished c25k want to bridge to 10k advice

Options
i finished c25k a couple of months ago. Im doin ok and i think im ready to start the bridge to 10k. Has Anyone had this experience? Dont know long after finishing c25k i should wait till starting 10k. I thought i was going to die doing c25k but i got through it and i am amazed at how far i've come. Im confident but dont know if im setting myself up for failure. Should i wait longer? Also, any breathing techniques anyone can spare for long distance "wanna be" runners?

Replies

• red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    They have a 10k running program on the C25K site also. Check it out!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have bridge to 10k didnt like it...got C210 k and started in the middle...was easier for me..
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    should one do c25k before c210k ?
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Do you know what, so long as you feel confident you shold be fine! i completed c25k and kinda fell off the running wagon, It was probably about 6 weeks before i got back to it. I still carried on doing other exercise at the gym tho.
    I looked at doing bridge to 10k and also one hour runner. I didn't keep up with them, i just went out and ran! the first time i went outdoors i ran for about an hour! i then mapped out a 10k and did that! and haven't looked back! The best advise i would give is to go at a pace you can actually sustain! don't go too fast as you will not be able to go for long distances, you should be able to hold conversation. Once you've got that sorted you can up your speed gradually!

Good luck! Its amazing how much you can do when you put your mind to it! I've gone from no running to 10k in about 4 months!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    should one do c25k before c210k ?

no you dont have to....in fact I wish I had found C210K first...I really like it better
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    What Kell said ^^^

Basically most people find they get to a point where they have a pace which feels comfortable - and at that pace it feels like you can run forever. Train at least 3 times a week - two 'short' runs and one 'long' run. Short should be about half the long. The long is at the comfortable pace - the shorts are just pushing it a bit. Gradually increase the distance for all the runs, and some weeks make everything a bit shorter to give yourself a break...

That's basically how all the programs work - you can find lots of them on line. Anything else is about getting FAST.. Which I might add is FUN, TIRING and MOTIVATING...

Anyway - best of luck and happy running.

Mike
  • kevinsanmiguel
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about bridging the gap, but I can tell you this about breathing. The biggest thing is a rythym. Try to make your breathing match up with your stride. Breathe in for 4 strides, then breathe out for 4 strides. If you feel this is too long to breathe in or out of course you can adjust as you need to. I personally tend to go 3 strides per breath (in then out). Also try to belly breath with your diaphram, thus taking deeper breaths instead of shorter top lung based breaths. These 2 things helped me more than anything else in my 5k/10k training, and if you can get these down will you go a LONG way towards becoming a great distance runner.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks u guys are great!
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Leopardliz, have you started, yet? I'm trying to start a B210k group for support. I will be starting next week.

Here's the thread I started, if you know of anyone else, please send them over, too!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305548-b210k-running-group-august
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Just started a Bridge to 10K Challenge group. It's at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395037-bridge-to-10k-challenge-starts-december if any of you want to join

Thanks