Sad NSV

Options
kbrogan78
kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
The sad news is that I took my cat to the vet yesterday and found that he has renal failure and profound anemia. He's gone downhill very quickly and I think I'll probably have to take him in to be put to sleep sometime this week. I've had him for 10 years now, he was my first "baby" and I'm a total wreck. :(

The good news is that, for the first time in my entire life, my initial instinct wasn't to start stuffing food into my mouth to deal with the stress and grief. I'm not sure how I'm going to cope without my usual coping mechanism of eating but I'm going to find a way.

Not glad this is happening, but it's a very significant NSV for me.

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOO!!!!! So sorry about your cat!! :sad: :sad: :sad: I am a cat lover too so I understand your pain.

Congrats on your newfound self control, though :smile:
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry about you kitty!!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your cat, I recently had to put down a dog of mine so I know how it is.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. Ours is 13 years old, and she's having some issues too. It is sooo hard when this happens. I wish you the very best through this really tough time.

But, good job on the self control!!!
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh Honey that is sad. Babies like that mean more than some people understand. You have had a great victory in recognizing that what you would have done is not what you are going to do now. I had a similar experience and knowing that I have become stronger than I realized made the season in my life somewhat easier to go through.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    sorry about your baby..mine will be 15 soon..and trying to prepare when she goes..soo sad.
  • feistyattitude
    Options
    So very sorry about your cat : ( Proud of you for thinking and choosing wisely though!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear this. Our dog died from kidney failure in November. Right after Halloween. I ate candy for days on end. You will get through this, and it does get better. We just got our new dog two days ago. A good workout really helps me. Especially spin because I can zone out. Big, big hugs. Your cat is very lucky to have such a loving mommy.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In my chaplaincy training, we had a whole unit devoted to "disenfranchised grief" such as the illness of a pet. What we learned will be no surprise to you (since you are going through it). The sadness and the grieving process will be similar to the loss of any other family member - but people in your life may have a tendency to expect you to "snap out of it" really quickly and could be a little intolerant at times.

Hope you can continue to find some peace and may your memories bring you some comfort.

Hugs!
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My mum had to have her cat Lucy sent to sleep last week she was 16..its awful and I feel for you...:sad:

just come here and we will help you through and well done on staying strong.

martyxxx:heart:
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    Awww, i'm so so sorry.

I'm an animal lover too and had to have my labrador put down last year, she was 14, i'd had her since i was 10.

It is so hard, but you have to remind yourself that you are doing it for them. To keep them alive and in pain would only be for selfish reasons.

Have yourself a good cry and a cuddle.

If you need anything, PM me.

Congratulations on your NSV though. That really is a triumph! xx
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm really sorry about your kitty....have lost some of my own int he past. I know it's not easy.

Howevever, dealing with stress and other less-than-ideal life situations is something that many of us on this site have to learn to do. Being a stress eater myself, I wish I knew the magic answer. I think it is often nothing more than simply wanting to lose weight more than wanting to fill up on snack food when we hurt. Also, I think after a while, we truly stop liking bad food as much as we used to. I'm sorry that it took your kitty's situation for you to realize how you've grown...but it sounds like you are going in the right direction. Keep working hard and keep moving forward! :)
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that :-(

Great NSV for you. It's important to learn how to cope and deal with stress without using food.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear about kitty! keep her as comfortable as possible =( I lost my big calico last summer, I got her as a kitten when i was 12.....I'm now 32. I had her well over half my life, she was there when i graduated college, got married and had kids. It was very rough. congrats on recognizing eating is not the answer. I hope you get some quality time in before you have to make the decision...
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your cat - I went through the same thing last year with my baby Freddy-Bear, who developed renal lymphoma and went into renal failure all of a sudden, at 10. :cry: Take as much time as you can to be with him, take lots of pictures, make as many memories as you can in the time he has left. Then take as much time as you need to grieve, and take care of yourself - take long walks or exercise, do healthy things that will also help you cope and feel better, reach out to understanding friends, etc... As an aside, one thing I did that really helped me through the process was to start raising money for animal health research, and some others I know who were going through a similar time got involved with their local animal shelter volunteering, or fund raising. It really helps to get out of yourself and do something to help others in need. Probably the most therapeutic activity there is. Congrats on staying strong.
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just focusing on giving him lots of love right now and trying to figure out how to explain it all to my nearly 4 yr old.

If this had happened a month ago, I would be drowning my sorrow in chocolate. I'm so glad I found MFP and have the motivation to find healthier ways to channel the grief.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    so sorry for your loss. i'm still mourning the death of my first dog and he died in 2001 :(

congrats on the NSV though. i just had one as well(& it's pet-related) -- i finally weigh less than my bullmastiff!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!