How to fill those last calories...

Much to my surprise, I'm finding that I'm often under my recommended calorie intake. I'm usually between 50-200 under (except on the weekends when i have no problem eating all my calories!) What are some good foods i could add to fill those calories? I don't really want to add any rice, pastas, or breads since I'm already eating most of my recommended carbs. I'm also hesitant to add any more fruit for the same reason of high carbs, plus sugar. Also, i can only eat so many vegetables in a day before i start to get burnt out. I really don't want to wind up eating an ice cream cone at 10 p.m. to fill my calories... any ideas?

Replies

• mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Spoonful of peanut butter mmmmm
  • rkquade
    rkquade Posts: 17
    How about a protein shake. If it is right before bed, Casein Protein is a good choice because it is slow digesting. I've liked the taste of the Optimum brand.
  • Could you prepare something during the day with some healthy oil? For dinner I am going to roast a sweet potato with some Canola Oil. Yum.
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    The best choice is always something nutritious, instead of junk food. But once in awhile, allow yourself that ice cream cone!
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    I usually try to reach for a granola bar, or a couple pieces of cheese, or a handful of almonds, piece of fruit... something along those lines.
  • hayntitah
    hayntitah Posts: 2
    a little trail mix sack while watching the late news or something, & a drink like cystal light to wash it down has calories but not bad calories . .
    or a granola bar & drink,
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Dip those veggies in some hummus or add some avacado to your salad! Other ideas - almonds, peanut butter, protein smoothie, string cheese.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    I usually have cals left by the end of the day, but no carbs so I like to choose something high in protein like... String cheese, cottage cheese, protein shake with almond milk, almonds or pistachio's. I could use some more ideas so I will make sure to check back and read what others have to say. :)
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    I drink a cup of lite vanilla soy milk (70cal, 5g sugar, 6g protein) with 1TBS Ovaltene (20cals, 9g sugar) as my post-workout, pre-bed snack. But I love chocolate milk so for me this is a treat. :)
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Peanut butter and celery has become a great snack for me.
  • fordfan67
    fordfan67 Posts: 12
    Soy milk (vanilla--yummy!); string cheese; nuts. . .
  • luvmyjp
    luvmyjp Posts: 49
    I am eatting 6 times a day and NOWHERE near my daily goal for sodium, cholesterol, fat, carbs and always at LEAST 200 cal short but almost 100% on vitamins...what am I doing wrong?? As long as I eat every 3 hours I'm not in starvation mode..should I change things??
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    What about some nuts such as almonds, or a protein bar, or carrot sticks, or fruit, or yogurt.

If you are going over on the weekend but just not quite getting to your goal some weekdays then have you considered just calling it square? I mean if you are eating 100 less calories than goal 3 times per week but on the weekend you are eating several hundred over your goal does this not just wash out in the end? If you are hungry by all means eat those calories. But I am not so sure you have to force yourself to eat them everyday. I dunno, just a thought....someone else chime in...
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    I always have the same problem. I try to plan it out, but since I do my work outs after I get home from work, I sometimes end up with more cals at night than I know what to do with. I do cottage cheese or nuts or granola clusteres - and then my fat total is too high. But I think i am going to buy some casien protein mix and do that instead. I drink a whey protein shake after my workout, but that's not supposed to be good before bed. Or so I have been told.

And sometimes - I have a Skinny Cow or Weight Watchers ice cream treat. Cause I can.
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    I go for NF greek yogurt or oatmeal. Both are filling and not too heavy on the stomach.
  • thanks for all the ideas guys! i love these message boards- such a great resource!