HRM Question

Options
Li_Willi
Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
When you're training, how do you know when to stop your HRM? If you're on the high end of your burn & you just finished the workout but your heart rate is still up, aren't you still burning workout calories? Are you supposed to press Stop as soon as you've finished or do you wait until your heart rate goes down & you're out of your burn zone and then press Stop?

Replies

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I always do a cool down after every workout, I stop mine after that..........
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options

Ditto.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    ME three!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I cool down first, also. I sort of randomly decided 100 bpm was a good stopping point.
  • shivers42
    shivers42 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yep I generally wait until I've gone below 100 bpm. The other thing is my basal rate says that I'd burn 86 calories per hour even if I'm sleeping so I typically take that off of my exercise burn. So if my HRM says I've burned 300 cals and I've worked for 1 hour, that's 214 exercise cals. If I've burned 300 cals over an hour and a half that is 171 exercise cals etc (300 - 1.5 * 86).

Hope this isn't too confusing or geeky!!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I start it when I walk out of the locker room door and stop it when I walk back in. I figure the time I spend getting into my workout is offset by the cooldown period after I enter the locker room.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    I cool down first, also. I sort of randomly decided 100 bpm was a good stopping point.

I have the Polar FT4 so it shows my "zone" for working out... As SOON as I drop completely out of zone after cooldown I stop it
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yep I generally wait until I've gone below 100 bpm. The other thing is my basal rate says that I'd burn 86 calories per hour even if I'm sleeping so I typically take that off of my exercise burn. So if my HRM says I've burned 300 cals and I've worked for 1 hour, that's 214 exercise cals. If I've burned 300 cals over an hour and a half that is 171 exercise cals etc (300 - 1.5 * 86).

Hope this isn't too confusing or geeky!!

I hear about people doing this, but I think it's not really worth the extra computation. Given your example above, if you were to work out 1 hour a day 7 days a week, you would end up with a net difference of (7 x 86) 602 calories. And since there are ~3500 calories required to burn 1 lbs of fat, this will equate out to (602 / 3500) .172 lbs. or a little less then 3 oz. And when you further consider that most people will only work out 3-5 days a week, it becomes even less of an issue.
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.....ok, so you all seem to be doing what I've been doing as well. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right & not adding anything extra unnecessarily. Thanks! :smile: