OH EMM GEE!!!

Options
Ladydi1982
Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
I understand that restaurants add more fat and sodium to make their food "taste better," but really Chili's? I'm going to dinner there with my husband and his parents tonight and I wanted to look up the nutritional info before we go so I can choose the "healthiest" option. I am going to have the Guiltless Grill Grilled Chicken Sandwich with Steamed Broccoli: 610 cals, 13g fat, 5g sat fat, 78g carbs, 43g protein, 8g fiber and 1320mg sodium.

I know, I know, the sodium is still a bit high. But NOTHING compares to the WORST dish on the menu!!!

Drum roll please... BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......

The Jalapeno Smokehouse Burger w/ Ranch: 2210 cals, 144g fat, 46g sat fat, 136g carbs, 92g protein, 11g fiber, and the kicker...

6600 MG SODIUM!!!!!!!!!! :huh: That is over 3 times what the average person is recommended to consume in A DAY!!! This is from ONE MEAL! The fat is also WAY over what anyone should consume in a day, again, let alone in one meal... I call this a heart attack on a plate.

I guess its good to remember that these numbers include the fries it is served with, however, I feel greasy just reading these numbers.

What is the worst meal you have found on a menu? Including the numbers would be helpful :flowerforyou:

Replies

• RosiePie25
    RosiePie25 Posts: 26
    Options
    Holy crap is allll I can say because you took the words OH EMM GEE right out of my mouth! haha
    That type of burger shouldn't be allowed on any menu, ever!!!! They try to encourage healthy living and discuss obesity in our countries so much but yet, places like that are allowed to kill a person with one sit down meal!! Junk food to most people is pretty much like what alcohol is to an alcoholic. It's tempting, a huge tease and messes with the mind!
  • Ladydi1982
    Options
    Holy crap is allll I can say because you took the words OH EMM GEE right out of my mouth! haha
    That type of burger shouldn't be allowed on any menu, ever!!!! They try to encourage healthy living and discuss obesity in our countries so much but yet, places like that are allowed to kill a person with one sit down meal!! Junk food to most people is pretty much like what alcohol is to an alcoholic. It's tempting, a huge tease and messes with the mind!

I could not agree with you more! It's disgusting what they're allowed to do.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You might find my restaurant tips useful. Maybe not though since you were researching before you got there. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sister_bear/view/sister-s-tips-tricks-for-restaurants-124209

I have a hard time with Perkins when we were on vacation. Part of the problem was that we ate there 2-3 times a day. lol

I do better at Ruby Tuesday, than Chili's.

The good news is that we're likely to see more healthful food choices on menus next year. The FDA has passed a law requiring additional information to be posted on menus of restaurant chains. http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=600480
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Dear lord.

Things like that is one of the many reasons why obesity is an epidemic in this country.

I'm working on my fitness / nutrition certification because I want to help people achieve what I have achieved and to do my part to fight the epidemic.

When I see things like this though I realize that this is what my career choice will be putting me up against. 0_0 It's a bit overwhelming and a little bit depressing.
  • Ladydi1982
    Options
    You might find my restaurant tips useful. Maybe not though since you were researching before you got there. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/sister_bear/view/sister-s-tips-tricks-for-restaurants-124209

I have a hard time with Perkins when we were on vacation. Part of the problem was that we ate there 2-3 times a day. lol

The good news is that we're likely to see more healthful food choices on menus next year. The FDA has passed a law requiring additional information to be posted on menus of restaurant chains. http://www.connecttristates.com/news/story.aspx?id=600480

Thanks for this! I'm excited for the new law! I understand that it's a free country for people to make their own choices and places to serve what they want, but people still need to be informed...
  • Ladydi1982
    Options
    Dear lord.

Things like that is one of the many reasons why obesity is an epidemic in this country.

I'm working on my fitness / nutrition certification because I want to help people achieve what I have achieved and to do my part to fight the epidemic.

When I see things like this though I realize that this is what my career choice will be putting me up against. 0_0 It's a bit overwhelming and a little bit depressing.

Overwhelming and depressing for sure! Good luck with your ceritfication and fight the good fight!
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I heard the Outback cheese fries for the full order is 2900 Cal and 182 grams of fat!
  • bmpal
    bmpal Posts: 36
    Options
    My boyfriend mentioned going to Chipotle and thinking he was getting a decently healthy meal by ordering a chicken bowl but found out later that it ended up having over 1600mg of sodium and 30 grams of fat (I looked it up)! This is ridiculous for a small bowl of rice, beans & chicken!
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Way to prepare ahead of time. Good job!
    I really like Applebees Grilled Chicken and Portobello 470 Calories
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I was listening to the Phantom Gourmet (food critic guys in Boston) and one of the hosts was talking about how he ordered the Bloomin' Onion with the Aussie cheese fries on top from Outback. They actually made it for him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nutrition info for those two things:
    Bloomin Onion Nutritional Facts
    Total
    Calories 1966 cal
    Carbohydrates 115 g
    Dietary Fiber 15 g
    Total Fat 160 g
    Saturated Fat 48 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Protein 17 g
    Cholesterol 137 mg
    Sodium 4078 mg

And the Aussie Fries:
    Total
    Calories 1973 cal
    Carbohydrates 139 g
    Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Total Fat 133 g
    Saturated Fat 60 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Protein 53 g
    Cholesterol 205 mg
    Sodium 2766 mg

That is just a crazy creation and the two of those alone have insane nutritional facts, never mind together!!!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I went to Applebee's once. I seriously thought I was doing good... only ate 1/2 of the entree, even. Still topped off at almost a 1,000 calories! Yuck! I really don't know how they fit all those extra calories in there!

Just wanted to point something out that made me giggle, too....

"OH EMM GEE!!!" even when you take off the exclamation points, requires more typing than the phrase it was meant to shorten. :laugh:
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Check this out! Will make you sick at how bad some restaurant stuff is for you!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/diet-disasters-top-calorie-heavy-menu-items/story?id=14114606
  • mbgw2013
    mbgw2013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are some really good choices at Applebee's, panera bread and tropical smoothie cafe....
    It is good that you checked before you went- In the past I took the chance and ate, then checked the nutrition facts....
    boy was that was a horrible surprise!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The Jalapeno Smokehouse Big Mouth Burger is one of my favorites. :love:

My OMG is that I was actually able to maintain my weight as well as I did before I ate better.
  • fozziewaca
    fozziewaca Posts: 66
    Options
    There's a comedy podcast I listen to and the host always calls Chili's "Salty's" (or maybe it's "Salties"). Now I can see why!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at the saturated fat content of the grilled salmon at Outback. I don't remember what it was exactly but it was crazy high seeing as salmon itself doesn't have a lot. They must be putting a whole stick of butter on it!! Which is ridiculous since most people that go to a steak house and order salmon are doing it because they think it's healthier.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options

Oh yeah! I had their lemon tilapia and it was amazing! They list the calorie counts right on the menu, too. Add in that awesome salad bar and I have found a new favorite! :smile:
  • watrmlon
    watrmlon Posts: 34
    Options
    Wowsa's I can't believe people would order that, especially if they knew the stats
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    OMG is that stuff even LEGAL! It's like dietary assisted suicide on a plate!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I really hope the new FDA law next year motivates some of the large chains like Applebees, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday, Fridays, Cheddars, etc to start competing with one another to offer the best low-calorie low-sodium low-fat entrees and menu items. Kind of start a health craze competition between them. I mean are they really going to be proud of posting that burger's nutritional facts on their menu??? They better come up with some good healthy alternatives to offset those items on their menu. I think a lot of people will definitely think twice before ordering when they truly know what they are consuming.