Protein Powder for Women

Options

Replies

• cdupuie84
    cdupuie84 Posts: 20
    Options
    I just seen in my 'All You' Jillian Michael's has a protein shake only 100 calories! Something to look into? :)
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like unflavored protein powders. This gives me the most flexibility in taste. I can always add vanilla, cocoa powder, fruit...even sugar-free flavored syrups...whatever I feel like that day. And I don't have to work my way through 5 pounds of "tutti-frutti" protein powder that I can't stand :grumble:

I personally like Genisoy unflavored soy protein powder. It's virtually tasteless, blends well, 0 carbs, has no added sugars, and is non-GMO.

== Per "3 heaping tblsp" ==
    Calories - 110
    Carbs - 0
    Fat - 1.5 grams
    Protein - 25 grams

It also contains 25 vitamins and minerals, and costs about $12 - 15 for 1 pound. You can find it online or at The Vitamin Shoppe if you have one near you. BTW, The Vitamin Shoppe has a current deal...free shipping on orders $25 or more (thru July 31). No, I am not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with them.

http://www.genisoy.com/HostedStore.LassoApp?-ResponseLassoApp=detail.lasso&ID=9143f797c3d23408

As for the Soy vs Whey protein debate, here are a couple of pages of reading for you to ponder:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson71.htm

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

Just one more tip. I recently bought a BlenderBottle for my shakes. It contains a little wire ball that mixes the contents when shaken. It's fantastic! Works great for salad dressings, scrambling eggs, pancake mix, etc. It comes in 2 sizes and several colors:

http://www.amazon.com/Sundesa-BB28-SC08-28-Ounce-BlenderBottle-BlenderBall/dp/B001KADGMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311221636&sr=8-1
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they do specially for women. The powder I use is MRM whey protein. It's lower carb, 87 calories and sweetened with Stevia. It doesn't have a lot of fillers and tastes good.
  • beccaellena
    beccaellena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like Designer Whey in chocolate or vanilla, and Dymatize protein powder.
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    muscle milk light is good
  • bcolvin1259
    Options
    I'm obviously not a woman but i know my girlfriend drinks the same kind i drink and she hasn't grown a beard yet lol. I am sure there are good proteins out there designed just for women but i am sure that a lot of them are just labeled that way for marketing reasons. Shop around and compare the nutritional labels. I currently use whey protein i got at costco (cytosport whey) it's the best deal i could find at the time considering the nutritional value vs price.

I use the costco protein as well and I am female.
  • Mlundie72
    Options
    I have been using Body By Vi Protein Shake - It is 90 cals per 2x scoops - you also get all the vitamins and minerals that you require.
  • Elvirka_xoxo
    Elvirka_xoxo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using Muscle Milk Lean Muscle Protein Powder and it's not bad. I only do 1 scoop which is about 150 calories. My nutritionist said that the higher amount of protein is listed on the box, the worse quality it is. I'm doing more research right now to find a better protein powder since i'm almost done with muscle milk
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    There are no differences in protein for men & women. Taking a protein powder is just an easier way of getting protein than eating say three full-sized chicken breasts. Woman can not "bulk up" or gain massive muscles by just drinking a protein shake. To gain manly muscles you would need steroids, alternatively to gain muscles ("bulk up") you would have to eat more calories than you expend and lift heavy.

Use these shakes to get more protein in your diet, think of them like that, not as "muscle gainers". Also I've never seen a protein blend that has 3,000 calories in it. That would be a bulking mans dream to have 3k in one scoop. I have seen 710 calories in 4 scoops though...now back to the topic at hand.

The best two protein blends *opinion time* are:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Good protein, great taste, good ratio of protein/carb/fat, has the good amino acids your body needs and is affordable.

BSN Nutrition Syntha-6
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html

This is my protein brand that I personally enjoy. Has all the same stuff as the one above just I prefer the taste & mix-ability of this one.

They also sell this http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/isoburn.html It's a whey protein with stimulant-free thermogenics (fat burners). It has Green Coffee Extract in it apparently. I haven't tried it so I can't give my opinion on it's fat burning claims.

Don't buy cheap whey protein. Protein powders are a commodity to me. I use & buy the best because I can. The stuff you can buy at WalMart for $13 and claims to have "60g of protein" are complete and flat out liars. Do yourself a favor and spend $30-$50 on a good quality protein.

Also lol, just noticed this was a big necro-bump
  • lise_stedman
    lise_stedman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Protein World's slender blender which is 130 cals per 40g. I mix this with frozen berries, water and ice and have it for breakfast. It also contains green tea and raspberry ketones so is good as an aid to slimming.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I havent heard of any protein powders being much more than 100 per scoop so I am not sure which ones you have been looking at!
    My advice from my experience is to make sure it is an isolate. I find if it isnt then it is too heavy feeling, could be just me. I use one from GNC, can't remember the name off the top of my head but I use it daily and for two scoops is 170 calories.
  • ColeCake292012
    ColeCake292012 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Most protein powder isn't that high calorie, unless its a bulker.
  • MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few, so far my favorite is http://www.gnc.com/Image-Sports-PRO-GRADE-WEIGHT-LOSS-WHEY-Vanilla-Graham-Cracker/product.jsp?productId=28637826

It's 119 calories and I love the taste of it. :)
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I use "Body Fortress Super Whey Protein". It has specific directions on it for either bulking up or just trying to be lean. Also men vs women and how much to use. It gives you suggestions on what to mix with depending on what you want your outcome to be.

One scoop is 240 calories and then you figure what you are mixing with.

I have mixed the powder (have strawberry right now) with either water or 0% milk. To me it tastes kinda like a strawberry milk with water or strawberry shake with milk.

Hope this helps.

I use the same brand but in vanilla flavor, and mine is only 170 cals for a 41g serving. Although mine is titled "Super Advanced Whey Protein" maybe that's the difference?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I imagine the OP has made a decision on protein powder in the 2.75 years since starting this thread.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I use EAS LEAN, I get it at Walmart 19.95 and the taste is great, there's chocolate and vanilla . I use it as a meal replacement most of the time. You can buy more expensive ones but I've found this the best so far. Check it out online .
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes fantastic protein powder. Here's the breakdown per serving:

120 Calories
    1.5 Fat
    30 Cholesterol
    60mg Sodium
    3g Carb
    23 Protein

You can mix it with water or with nonfat milk. The latter is how I make mine. There's no difference in men or women's protein powder. BTW the Double Rich Chocolate is the best flavor IMO.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html?MCID=F-GOOG-OPT009
    The double rich chocolate is excellent.
  • kupster76
    Options
    I have been using Jay Robb's Whey protein for almost 3 years and I like it the best of all the versions that I have tried. It blends really well both in a shaker bottle and in my blender (for when I make smoothies). What I like about this powder is that there are five flavors - Vanilla, Chocolate, Pina Colada, Orange Creamsicle, and Strawberry. There is also an unflavored whey protein. These are about 110 calories per scoop. The brand also has an egg white protein - if you are looking to stay away from Whey products, which are about 130 calories per scoop.

Vitamin Shoppe carries the brand in their stores, but if you are like me and use the protein powder on a daily basis you can go to his website and sign up for his free auto-ship program. It comes directly to your house, with a 20% discount and free shipping. But I think that the best thing that this brand has going for it is that you can buy single serve pouches to try. I have a number of times purchased a new protein powder canister only to find out after a couple of uses that I am not happy with the product.