Article about Restaurants Nutritional Information

Options
Thought people might be interested in this article about calorie and other nutritional information that is supplied by restaurants. Some good news (most were fairly accurate) and some bad (some were REALLY off).

I would be interested in people's thoughts!

Edit: Wow. I am out of it. It is here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/07/20/138555722/restaurants-often-miss-the-mark-on-calorie-counts?sc=fb&cc=fp

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Where's the article?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    might help if you added the article :wink:
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gtandrews
    gtandrews Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi I was on line yesterday looking up restaurant calories and was surprised by the number of calories in some of the salads and was wondering if the calories were accurate. I can't image that lettuce with a few toppings could be so high in calories.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Hi I was on line yesterday looking up restaurant calories and was surprised by the number of calories in some of the salads and was wondering if the calories were accurate. I can't image that lettuce with a few toppings could be so high in calories.

It's not the salad and toppings that are high in calories (unless if the toppings consist of something fried or tortilla chips which have a lot of sodium)...it's the dressing that makes them worse than the entrees you swore were loaded with calories. You figure Ranch is what...90 calories per serving...and you know there is more than one serving on the salad (probably 4 or more). Just when we thought we were doing good by getting a salad instead of steak...
  • jessilee119
    Options
    Thought people might be interested in this article about calorie and other nutritional information that is supplied by restaurants. Some good news (most were fairly accurate) and some bad (some were REALLY off).

I would be interested in people's thoughts!

The same is true for foods we buy at the store. There's a list in one of the eat this not that books that explains how companies are not allowed to overestimate calories so they underestimate. Cheerios is about 3 calories more than the nutrition label states which isn't bad, but there were some foods that underestimated by 40+ calories.
  • jessilee119
    Options

It's not the salad and toppings that are high in calories (unless if the toppings consist of something fried or tortilla chips which have a lot of sodium)...it's the dressing that makes them worse than the entrees you swore were loaded with calories. You figure Ranch is what...90 calories per serving...and you know there is more than one serving on the salad (probably 4 or more). Just when we thought we were doing good by getting a salad instead of steak...

I was wrong...Shoprite's Ranch dressing is 140 calories for 2 tablespoons...sad...
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Sorry!! I got distracted by making a good, home-cooked dinner for my family :)

It is here: http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/07/20/138555722/restaurants-often-miss-the-mark-on-calorie-counts?sc=fb&cc=fp
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Scary!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    now, being off within 10 or so calories i can understand. i would rather have an idea, rather than not know anything at all, but wow...1000? really? thats insane.