Do men or women...

kysue1029
kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
edited 2:14AM in Fitness and Exercise
Do men or women burn more calories? I'm asking, because my husband has a GPS/heartrate monitor, and I wore it today when I ran. It's set on his info though (he weight/height/male/age...) but it said 240 calories were burned today when *I* ran with it.

So, here are the stats...
Evan/me: male/female (obviously)
Evan/me: 172/159
Evan/me: 5'11"/5'7"
Evan/me: 28/27

I guess what I'm asking is, if we ran the same distance/speed, would he or me burn more calories?

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    I believe men burn more calories than women because they tend to be larger in size, thus the weight comes off quicker for them.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    He would might burn more because he weighs more but if he's in better shape his heart rate won't get as high then he'd burn less.
  • same same
  • kysue1029
    Thanks! He is in way better shape than me. He runs mini marathons, and I am working my way up to a 5K!
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    I believe men burn more calories than women because they tend to be larger in size, thus the weight comes off quicker for them.

no, it's just because we work harder at losing:wink:
  • sandrababy
    sandrababy Posts: 1 Member
    He would burn more because men naturally have more muscle mass than women. Muscles in motion burn calories. Fat does not. If a man and a woman had the same age, height, and weight, the man would still burn more. Kinda sucks for us girls!!!!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Men also tend to have greater muscle mass, which burns more calories...
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    the math algorythims (spelling bad) for these HRM assume that men have more muscle mass like about 15% more??? (guess)

so - get your own! Or reset his LOL
    :bigsmile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    seems like the only way to test this out would be for you to run a set amount of miles/distance, have your husband do the same, and see what the HRM says...when you say you burned 240 calories for your run, you didn't say what he burned for the same exercise...or did you and I missed it?
  • Kerlingk
    Kerlingk Posts: 3 Member
    How much time did you run in comparision to your husband? If you ran the same time, he may burn more, but if you both run say 2 miles and it takes you longer to run that 2 miles than him, then I believe you would burn more calories.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    oh and yes to whoever said you'd have to reset it for each of you--otherwise it is not going to be "your" stats :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    He would also have a longer stride than you.

I would think that for both of you to be at the same speed, you would have to work harder than him.
    ie, he could almost be jogging, and you would be running. (especially if he's ran mini marathons)
  • kysue1029
    seems like the only way to test this out would be for you to run a set amount of miles/distance, have your husband do the same, and see what the HRM says...when you say you burned 240 calories for your run, you didn't say what he burned for the same exercise...or did you and I missed it?

I wore his HRM on MY run, because I don't have one. I went and ran by myself. The HRM's info is set on his stats but then it was my heartrate. So I guess there is probably no way of knowing if this is accurate. I just might have to keep resetting his info when I wear it! haha
  • kysue1029
    He would also have a longer stride than you.

I would think that for both of you to be at the same speed, you would have to work harder than him.
    ie, he could almost be jogging, and you would be running. (especially if he's ran mini marathons)

Just about every time he takes 2 strides, I take 3. He makes running look so easy....not fair! :) He can seriously outrun me WHILE he is pushing our double jogging stroller (about 100 lbs with the kids in it) while I'm running by myself!
  • TripMom
    TripMom Posts: 102 Member
    Funny you post this! I had an experience last night that I was thinking about posting today:

Last night my husband and I went on a 4 mile hike and we both wore our own HRM (Polar FT7). We went with a group so we both were going the same speed. He burned 529. I burned 368. It was the exact same hike. My husband is 6 foot. I'm 5 foot 10 inches. We weigh just about the same and we are just about the same age. 161 calorie difference! I was bummed at the difference, of course! :)
    TripMom
This discussion has been closed.