For those with hypothyroidism!

Options
I'm not too sure about this information but I thought I'd share it and see what everyone thinks!

First: http://thyroid.about.com/cs/dietweightloss/a/eatingenough.htm

http://www.hypothyroidismexposed.com/weight-loss-with-hypothyroidism.html

Thoughts? I'd like to talk to my doctor but I rarely get to.

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I also read that not only is restricting calories too much incredibly bad, but it's also very hard for those with hypothyroidism to lose weight without extreme exercise.

Has anyone had any experience in this?
  • Brivera10
    Brivera10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My dad has hypothyroidism and I am going this friday to get some lab test done to see if I have it =/
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    this is interesting! I follow more I guess what the second article says I guess because I drink LOTS of water and do several mini meals a day and I take vitamins and such - Ive been hypothyroid my whole life but never had weight problems until my pregnancies-anyways I do follow a lower calorie meal plan I stay between 1200 and 1300 calories and Ive lost what I have so far like that but those articles are pretty interesting for sure thanks for sharing
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I found it very interesting.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    For now I think I'll stick with my 1200 ish diet then. It's worked out so far for me, and it seems to have worked for you. I'll def have to talk to my doc if I even get to see him again. I always have to see some lady whose below him and she NEVER answers my questions and ignores everything I say!
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs, and I have hypothyroidism. I will tell you this, you may work a little harder and your results may not show as quickly but it is possible. In all honesty, I spent a long time looking for the "quick" fix, or something to blame for why i was still fat. But in reality I knew it was me. You're on medication to regulate your thyroid, you have a relatively normal metabolism. Eat right and exercise.... oh and avoid soy ( along with a few others on the "bad" list)
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it when I was 7. I've been taking medication ever since. I can tell you that it is much more difficult to lose weight even if blood tests show I'm in the normal or slightly hyper range. I'm kept slightly hyper because it helps my symptoms. In my personal opinion (not in the medical field) it has to do with natural vs. synthetic. So even when someone is regulated by meds, it is still not the same as a person that produces the hormone naturally. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure about restricting calories. I've lost weight in extremely stressful situations and was barely eating anything. That doesn't mean it won't come back to haunt me in the future. I'm not an expert but I have struggled with this for a long time. I switch doctors because some prefer to keep me closer to hypo than hyper. Most doctors treat blood test results and not symptoms.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I was dx hypo and couple of years ago and have to get regular biopsys becasue of the tumors (noodles) on my thyroid. I am not taking the medication because I really dont take any medications. It has effected my weight but I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I walk and sometimes swim for exercise and i have been losing about a pound a week. The low carb diets work for me but they are short term.

I did find the sites interesting. But I dont know if I find that eating all those calories will help you lose weight. I am only averaging about 1 pound a week now at 1200 calories
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well, I do practice some of the second article but the calculations on the first are odd. Plus, assuming you're medicating it, your thyroid should function mostly normal. That being said, I always try to net at least my bmr. I don't need to screws up my body anymore than it is.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It is harder for those that have thyroid condition...but with hard work, it comes off.
  • mags911
    mags911 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 12 years ago and barring a few minor flucuations have stayed pretty constant at 175 mcgs (and that was with 2 healthy baby boys delivered) :) I have noticed it is harder to lose when I let myself go for a while, but with watching what I eat and cardio it does work. I noticed in the first article the % for prot/fat/carbs and I did change mine under settings/change goals, but only to 45% carb/30% prot/25% fat after i hit a plateau and it seems to be doing the trick. At 1200 calories, I eat 90 gr of protein per day. Maybe if I hit another I might increase it to the one suggested but for now........good to go.