Rest Days

laurad8911
laurad8911 Posts: 99
edited September 30 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

Anyone know how many rest days a week is recommended? I've gotten to the point where it feels weird for me not to go, but I've made sure to take 1 rest day each week regardless.....is one fine or should I be taking two? When I workout I go pretty hard, running, kickboxing 1 hr classes (burning 500+ calories), weights, and i really push myself. Not to mention i bike to class and work and some day spend over an hour biking in a hilly area but never o**** that as activity because its jsut part of life for me and I don't consider it deliberate exercise, so even on my "rest" day I'm still a good bit more active than some people, I guess it would be an "active" rest day. Anyway, the point is, 1 day or 2? i would do 1 but I'm rethinking it just cause i really pushed myself this week so far and am sore (good sore) and a bit tired and don't want to overdo it.

Opinions/ideas appreciated:)

Thanks!

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    bump for later look back :)
  • I usually try to get one true rest day (no exercise at all)....and if I have a really hard workout, say heavy weights or a long run, I will follow with a light workout day. Your body does need a recovery day. Trust what your body is telling you. If you are hurting and sore from strenuous workout the day before, that might mean it is a good day for alot of stretching!
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Your own body is your best indicator here.

At least 1 day a week is pretty much essential and is all you need if every morning you wake up feeling refreshed.

If you start training too hard and you wake up each morning feeling tired and lethargic then you prob should increase your rest days
  • nwkarin
    nwkarin Posts: 16
    I take one rest day, but I walk on that day. I just can't do "nothing".
  • I know what you mean exactly. My body needs the endorphine kick every day as well - in fact, I recently found out that on the "rest day" of the TOur De France, they actually bike for "only" 4 hours. I think a rest day really should mean "a day you do something other than the usual routine". But if your body allows and doesnt hurt too much I dont think there is anything wrong with doing something hard physical every day of the week 365 days of the year!
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Most people i've noticed will tell you to use one day to lighten up, you don't have to rest at all. Main thing is not to strength train the same area two days in a row. have one day where you go for a pleasure jog instead of an all out run!!!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    The only real "rest" rule applies to strength training; make sure you take at least one day of rest for the targeted muscles between lifting weights, resistance training, etc, because your muscles need at least a day to recover. you can do, say arms one day and lower body the next, though.

There's no need to take official rest days as far as cardio exercise like running, elliptical, biking, pilates, spinning or any outdoor activity. You have to knock yourself out pretty hard to overtrain, I think people worry about it needlessly.

The only other caveat I'd add, though, is that it's a good idea to get into an exercise routine that you can maintain forever, not just as an intensive weight-loss push–that includes times when you're busy, on vacation, stressed, at work, etc. Rather than spending hours and hours exercising each day burning tons of calories, try to work out a routine that can give you the most efficient strength and cardio workouts that you can vary (so you don't get bored) and stay motivated and able to do every day or so no matter what your schedule is like.

That said, there's no harm in taking days off from working out (though personally getting in the habit of going most days is better for me) nor is there harm in not taking days off.
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    yea i'd agree with you, ive always been a worker-outer though, and i love it and change it up when i get bored, not doing more intensity now for weight loss so im not worried there

thanks
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    The only real "rest" rule applies to strength training; make sure you take at least one day of rest for the targeted muscles between lifting weights, resistance training, etc, because your muscles need at least a day to recover. you can do, say arms one day and lower body the next, though.

There's no need to take official rest days as far as cardio exercise like running, elliptical, biking, pilates, spinning or any outdoor activity. You have to knock yourself out pretty hard to overtrain, I think people worry about it needlessly.

The only other caveat I'd add, though, is that it's a good idea to get into an exercise routine that you can maintain forever, not just as an intensive weight-loss push–that includes times when you're busy, on vacation, stressed, at work, etc. Rather than spending hours and hours exercising each day burning tons of calories, try to work out a routine that can give you the most efficient strength and cardio workouts that you can vary (so you don't get bored) and stay motivated and able to do every day or so no matter what your schedule is like.

That said, there's no harm in taking days off from working out (though personally getting in the habit of going most days is better for me) nor is there harm in not taking days off.
    Best advice I have seen on here in a while! This^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    My rest day is just when I am absolutely to busy to work out. Get home from work late, got something to take care of before bed etc .. I try not to let it be no more than 2 times in a 7day period though.. and I feel guilty if I have to do it twice to be honest.
  • The only real "rest" rule applies to strength training; make sure you take at least one day of rest for the targeted muscles between lifting weights, resistance training, etc, because your muscles need at least a day to recover. you can do, say arms one day and lower body the next, though.

^^ What she said.

I used to swim 13 days on 1 off for years with no ill effects. If your body isn't screaming "hell no" there's really no reason *not* to work out.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Listen to your body. Mine is pretty used to getting exercise nearly every day at this point, and since I don't really drink caffeine and I sleep really well, I know that when I'm tired, it's because my body really is tired. As long as I feel like I have a lot of energy every day, I use that as a sign that my body is ready to exercise.

When I'm tired, I rest. Today for example, I was feeling very tired for some reason. It had been a few weeks since I had a full rest day where I didn't do any exercise at all. So I napped instead of working out today. And now I feel GREAT and I'm ready to get back into it tomorrow with even more energy! Typically my "rest" days are more like easy workout days... I'll do something light like just walking. But on the rare occasion, I won't do any exercise out of my normal work and home routine.

You really have to listen to your body. Everyone is different, and everyone does different exercises too so our bodies all require different amounts of rest.
This discussion has been closed.