Superficial Motivation

Options
Does anyone else do silly things to motivate themselves? I know I mentioned in one place that when I don't feel like running I hop onto Pinterest (http://pinterest.com) and search for 'running' and repin like half and then I'm super pumped to go running (I suggest you don't search for 'skinny' or 'fitness', they're all about how to not eat and how to look like a waif, I will never be twiggy, it's not in my genes).

Other random and silly things I use:

1. Silence of the Lambs! The creepy guy making a suit of skin from women he's killed...if I'm fit he can't use my skin. What a win.

2. I watch Supernatural (there MUST be some SPN girls/guys on here) and if I'm not really feeling the need to run I tell myself that if a monster shows I've got to be able to get away so I'm not the dead girl Sam and Dean are researching, I'm the alive girl who they help save, AND I have to be able to keep up with them so they don't get all beat up. (Also, once at a convention Jared was like, "I had an easy 7 mile run this morning" and I was like, ME, I'm going to have an easy 7 mile run someday and I'm working on it)

3. There is a hot guy who runs shirtless on the same path where I run. Every day. Same time. *sigh* Shallow has never felt so fit.

4. There is a woman at my work who is doing C25k because I told her about it. The knowledge that she's going to ask about my run when she comes in every morning has me pounding pavement.

5. Any horror movie ever the girls can't freaking run in the woods, I trail run, I won't trip over a leaf and get killed by Jason bc I am getting AWESOME at running in the woods.

So, what silly tricks do you folks use?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I didn't like scary movies before.....but now I reallly really don't like em. :yikes:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just fell in love with you. LOL
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    LOL!! :laugh: The skin suit will definitely stick in my head.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    A very hot Fireman I have named Chocolate Dredz...Looking at him workout makes the time fly by!!! P.S. I must be the hottest of all my Ex's Ex's!
  • Janelle_Teaches
    Options
    haha your post cracked me up!! I love the Silance of the Lambs skin part!!

I want to be able to tell my hubby that I worked out !!

..I turn on the Rockey song "Eye of the Tiger" and think..this song is for me!! Oh yeah..time to hit the pavement ..dun..dun dun dun..dun dun dun...hehe;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    hmm.. how do I get #3, but have a shirtless girl running.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Just went to that site you put up and the picture of the rhino running an a treadmill with a poster of a unicorn made my day and my nighttime run all the easier haha.

I hit myself...a bit barbaric and crazy I know! But, my block in running is totally mental, I get to 26 min. and for some reason just stop ...right there and regret not going the full 30. sometimes smacking my leg and yelling at myself gets me too scared to push the power button on my treadmill.

Also I have told EVERYONE I am running a 5k if it kills me and I do not wanna die young.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    This is terrific! I may steal some of your ideas.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: OK, Yours are WAAYY better than mine, Especially #3, LOL!!!

My Main motivation is watching my Mother and my Clients struggling to walk 10 feet or struggling to get in and out of cars.
    :smile: Then there is my bathroom Calendar. I put a small sticker on every day that I go to Curves Monday thru Friday. If I go on Saturday I get a Large Flower Sticker because that is "Overtime"!! I know it is very Juvenile, but I just HATE not putting my Stickers up there, LOL!!
  • theSidekicks
    theSidekicks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Supernatural is awesome! I just started watching it but I'm already on season 6. I love your motivation!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    haha your post cracked me up!! I love the Silance of the Lambs skin part!!

I want to be able to tell my hubby that I worked out !!

..I turn on the Rockey song "Eye of the Tiger" and think..this song is for me!! Oh yeah..time to hit the pavement ..dun..dun dun dun..dun dun dun...hehe;)

Eye of the Tiger is my 'crap that's a hill' song! Gets me up this monster hill on my course EVERY time. I have, maybe...on occasion done a little dance at the top, very much like Rocky does. It helps!
  • SherryLynn82
    SherryLynn82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I plan for the Zombie Apocalypse. Rule #1 is cardio, you know.

Also, I find a tv series on Netflix that I want to watch, then I ONLY allow myself to watch episodes of that show while I'm working on the elliptical. That way, even if I don't want to do my cardio that day, I do still want to watch an episode of two of my show, so I'll endure the workout for the tv. (yes, I know its silly) I am now halfway through Season 1 of Bones though!
  • theSidekicks
    Options

Also, I find a tv series on Netflix that I want to watch, then I ONLY allow myself to watch episodes of that show while I'm working on the elliptical. That way, even if I don't want to do my cardio that day, I do still want to watch an episode of two of my show, so I'll endure the workout for the tv. (yes, I know its silly) I am now halfway through Season 1 of Bones though!

The TV thing is a great idea. I'm just enough of an addict that it might work. Also, Bones :)
  • ilookthetype
    Options

The TV thing is a great idea. I'm just enough of an addict that it might work. Also, Bones :)

haha i JUST messaged you that I would watch SPN while on the treadmill! It is such a good way to exercise and not be thinking about how your working out.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

LOL, I have a shirt based off that rule.
  • theSidekicks
    Options

haha i JUST messaged you that I would watch SPN while on the treadmill! It is such a good way to exercise and not be thinking about how your working out.

Haha yeah I just saw that.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do silly things to motivate themselves? I know I mentioned in one place that when I don't feel like running I hop onto Pinterest (http://pinterest.com) and search for 'running' and repin like half and then I'm super pumped to go running (I suggest you don't search for 'skinny' or 'fitness', they're all about how to not eat and how to look like a waif, I will never be twiggy, it's not in my genes).

1. Silence of the Lambs! The creepy guy making a suit of skin from women he's killed...if I'm fit he can't use my skin. What a win.

You are hilarious. :D
  • ilookthetype
    Options

You are hilarious. :D

Haha, thanks! when I told my mom that I was watching Silence of the Lambs to motivate me to run and told her why she got quiet and told me that was gross. I thought it explained my motivation perfectly!
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this thread! You're a nut : )

Okay.... my superficial motivation is:

Wanting to go into our meetings (local Biggest Loser) and be in the top 3 for the week, so that I can say I'm in the running to win it!

Get back into my "WOW, are you sure you're 40" clothes that I was in last summer.

Making guys run into things again... happened at school a few times and I loved it!
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Haha, thanks! when I told my mom that I was watching Silence of the Lambs to motivate me to run and told her why she got quiet and told me that was gross. I thought it explained my motivation perfectly!

Hmmmm I wonder what your mom's problem was. I mean, I completely understand your motivation. I think I should consider running too because I live in the country. I could see Jason or someone coming after me while I am innocently out and about feeding the peacocks. YIKES!!!!