How many ounces are in a cup of ______?

Options
kathywoo10
kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
I often find myself measuring out my food in cups and then needing to log the food in grams or ounces. I just found this great website that show conversions of different foods from cups to grams and ounces. Hope this helps someone!

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/us_cups_to_weight.htm#M

Replies

• elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    YES! I've been meaning to buy a scale b/c I have no idea what 2 oz looks like or whatever. SUPER helpful, THANK YOU!!!!!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well the measuring cup is 8 ounces.. I guess I don't know if that answers your question
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh wait haha, I didn't see the link right away! My bad!
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Well the measuring cup is 8 ounces.. I guess I don't know if that answers your question

It is only 8 ounces if you are measuring a liquid.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I just book marked it! I have been looking for something like this until I can get my food scale!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring a cup of liquid or a cup of solids? A cup of liquids is 8 ounces in volume. When measuring solids ounces are a weight not a volume.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    8 fluid ounces is not the same thing as 8 ounces by mass though. One measures volume and one measures mass. Water happens to be the substance for which they are equal. That is, the amount of water that fits in an 8-fluid-ounce measuring cup weighs exactly 8 ounces by mass. But for anything else you're measuring (cereal comes to mind), you need a density conversion. I believe that's what's behind the link (although I haven't checked).

[Stepping down off of my math-nerd soapbox now] :glasses:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Cool site, thanks!
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing! :)
  • AriesOx
    AriesOx Posts: 66
    Options
    bump for later - thanks :)
  • _Jessica_
    _Jessica_ Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    That is a huge help! Thank you so much!!!