processed foods ? what is/isnt?

Options
2»

Replies

• cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I consider processed foods to be anything prepared with preservatives, nitrates, added sugar or salt, sugar/fat substitutes, white flour, white rice, and additives like flavorings, colorings, and a whole laundry list of chemicals like maltodextrin, etc.

I try to avoid these things whenever possible, but have not cut them out completely because I do enjoy wine (which contains sulfites) and beer (which has additives of some sort I'm sure) as well as restaurant food a couple of times a week which contains all of the above in great quantities. It takes extra time and effort to cut them out at home, but I believe it is well worth it not only for health reasons, but because it tastes better, too.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid processed foods altogether you are likely going to have to give up some time for it. There are always checks and balances in these things. Anything that is not in it's raw form is technically processed--it's been through some type of process. This would even include yogurt and cheese, anything boxed, bottled or preserved in any way. In all honesty, to truly avoid processed foods altogether would be incredibly difficult unless you lived on a farm and kept your own animals and garden. However, eating less nutrient deficient junk food would probably be more manageable and seems to be what others people are suggesting. :)

I think that's actually the basis of the raw-food diet. Coming from someone who grew up on a farm, such a diet is difficult even then.
  • Ladydi1982
    Ladydi1982 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat as cleanly as possible, too. (I apologize if I am repeating any replies, I didn't read any and am just replying) My criteria is that if it is a "processed" food, it has to have no more than 5 ingredients, so your string cheese would be okay by my standards. I have one every morning. Good source of calcium.

Good luck with eating clean. You might also want to check out the book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Clean by Diane Welland, M.S., R.D.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    First off, if you cannot say anything nice don't say anything at all! Constructive critism is great but please do not be mean.
    Yes I can google it, but you cannot believe everything on the internet and I would much rather get the views of MFP!

So what do you consider processed food? I am working hard to eat a cleaner diet and I say " I am going to cut out processed foods" but what does that mean? Does that mean prepackaged things like my cheese strings? Or is that things like froozen dinners (which I do not eat anyways) my diary is open. Feel free to look at it!

I am doing Insanity and following the meal plan for lunch and my dinner and a few snacks.

Thank you in advanced!

Jen

Edit: here are some of my daily things
    Sargentino light cheese strings
    Chobani yogurts
    Crunch master multigrain crackers
    Fiber one bar
    Carnation breakfast drink or some form of cereal.
    Dole canned peaches

Im not going to debate this, just give you my opinion.

Your Sargento light string cheese and chobani yogurts are truly only "processed" by culturing them from milk to their current form, and packaging them. if thats processing then Im sorry even your local farm does it! They sell it to you IN a package of some sort dont they? They dont just place it in your hand!

Crunchmaster crackers I would consider "mildly processed" since they have to press and bake all the ingredients together and package it but I eat them as well and those are actually in the eating clean books ive read. Honestly they arent any worse then making them yourself (which is time consuming, my sister tried)

Fiber one bar, carnation instant breakfast, most cereals, and dole canned peaches would all be considered processed. They have added flavoring and preservatives. (even RAW protein powder is processed though and its a Vegan option). Peaches are in season, you can easily buy a few lbs, cut them up yourself and freeze them for the future.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    I think folks can get a little crazy with the processed label when we are suggesting hard cheese or yogurt should be considered processed. I agree yes, in general, raw fruits, vegetables and nuts are as unprocessed you can eat next to eating it off the vine. Beyond that anything else you can cook, as long as you cook it from scratch, should not be considered processed. Cooked or prepared food with the basic ingredients are fine.

Beyond that when it comes to grains and rice, as close as you can get it to the natural state, sprouted whole wheat and brown rice, etc.

But I think if we get to the point that we are counting peanut butter made with just peanuts and salt, processed or pasteurized milk processed, we are getting a little carried away. Everyone has to find what level of raw or unprocessed works for them. I am sure there are users on this form that swear by raw milk.

Clearly though any prepared foods ingredients that are not necessary for recipe are processed. Bread is supposed to have about six ingredients. 90% of what comes in a box, plastic wrap etc. is going to fit into this processed category.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    The closer to the natural state that something is, the less processed it is. So if you want to be completely natural - raw would be the least processed. You probably don't want to go that far. Fresh is going to be best, frozen, next best, canned/boxed - most processed. Certain things like yogurt and cheese require certain processes to become what they are. Some are done more naturally than others.
  • justsarah
    justsarah Posts: 17
    Options
    Great topic - It's interesting to hear everyone's responses.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I say I stay away from "processed" foods but I eat cheese and yogurt, which are technically processed but in a natural form. I make my own yogurt, which is "processed"! I stay away from long ingredient lists, chemical additives/preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc. I eat fairly clean, as most foods I eat are made by me and cooked from whole ingredients. I also eat Kashi cereal, again processed, but the ingredient list looks OK to me.

In my opinion, your cheese (as long as Sargento cheese ingredient list is pretty basic with no fake stuff) and yogurt are fine. Crackers and Carnation Instant are definitely processed, as are canned peaches. The Fiber One bar is very processed and they usually contain either 5 different kinds of sugars or artificial sweetener. It is up to you if that is acceptable or not.

I applaud those who eat clean and I try to eat items where I recognize the ingredients but I am fully aware that my way isn't the only way. If someone is fine with chugging Crystal Light all day and eating Fiber One bars, it is none of my business. I think we all have to decide what we each deem acceptable to ingest on a daily basis and not judge others for doing things differently!
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The drink mix and canned peaches are processed. Eat a real peach.......I have one every day! I read a book recently, The Low Glycemic Index diet and it explained the concept of trying to eat as much non processed foods as you can. That when you eat a processed food, such as a cracker, the grains and flours have been beaten to a pulp and that once your body has eaten that overly processed already processed food, it gets hungry soon after you eat it. Alternatively, If you have a piece of whole grain bread with oats, grains, seeds, etc. then it takes longer for your body to feel hungry because once you eat that bread, your body is processing the food so you feel fuller longer. Makes sense but there is tons of info to muddle through. I try to each non processed, a potato vs. boxed mashed potato, an apple instead of apple sauce, quinoa instead of any rice or couscous with a spice pack, no drink mixes, etc. My downfall is cheese but I try to limit it and keep it to lo fat.

A funny quote (not exact) from a book by Michael Pollan, "Never get your food from the same place you get your gas".
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you consider clean... I eat string cheese, I also eat canned tuna, oh no! watch out for my frozen peas!! lmao. To me processed food is fast food, nurtient empty food, donuts, cakes. My motto is this: 70% clean 30% dirty. If i want cheesecake i'm not going to buy a low fat version of it. I'm going to a restaurant and getting a slice of the real thing or making it from scratch. Foods should be minimally impacted from farm to table, store to home etc. The more processes it goes through the more it is strpped of nutrients and chances are they added some stuff your body won't recognize. I aim for the most nutrient dense foods i can get. These are just my opinions though :)

I am going to go with your motto. For my life style eating completely "clean" is not an option. I am going to stick with the healthier options for my lunch and dinner of making my own meals. Breakfast will probably continue to just be cereal. even though it is the most important meal it is the hardest one for me!

So here is to a clean"er" food dairy!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    The closer to the natural state that something is, the less processed it is. So if you want to be completely natural - raw would be the least processed. You probably don't want to go that far. Fresh is going to be best, frozen, next best, canned/boxed - most processed. Certain things like yogurt and cheese require certain processes to become what they are. Some are done more naturally than others.
    Thank you. That is great, simplified answer!