There's how many calories in a cough drop???

Options
FIFTEEN.
:noway:

I could not believe it, but sure enough written right there on the label was "15 calories per drop."
I'm in shock.

Replies

• SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    FIFTEEN.
    :noway:

I could not believe it, but sure enough written right there on the label was "15 calories per drop."
    I'm in shock.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Adds insult to injury, huh?:grumble:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Not mention the sugar and sometimes alcohol content. I remember waaaayyyyy back in the day, my elementary school sold Smith Brothers Cough Drops. Apparently, they had a decent alcohol content and you had to have a note from your parents to buy them. My mom would give me notes whenever I asked for one, so I would buy them and resell the boxes to other kids :tongue: Paid 10 cents a box and would resell them for 25 cents.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    LOL Shore...I never pictured you as a cough drop peddler!:laugh:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Too bad that would go over the daily calorie count of lindsay lohan and paris hilton...

Heaven help them if they get a cold.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the fisherman's friend ones are way less... i think it's 2 or 3 per drop. Plus they work way better than that super sugary halls
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Not mention the sugar and sometimes alcohol content.

Ahhhhhh-- the good old days. oregonian_winesmiley.gif

:wink:
  • shorerider
    Options
    LOL Shore...I never pictured you as a cough drop peddler!:laugh:

Yes, I used to be quite the devilish :devil: child in my youth :blushing:

Used to peddle the candy I got from my speech classes, too! I had to take speech lessons 2x a week until 4th grade--had some problems with certain sounds. The speech lady gave us candy when we did well (any wonder I have this weight issue now :laugh: ), and I'd go back to my regular class and sell some of it!

Oh, the good ole school days! Now, I'd probably be expelled!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Speaking of peddling at school, we used to soak toothpicks in cinnamon oil (flavoring) and sell them for 10 cents each or 3 for 25. I loved the burn from those things!

Hmmmm.... Maybe a little yummmmmm for a few calories, I'll have to look that up. Get a craving, pop a toothpick! lol
    -Robin
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Not mention the sugar and sometimes alcohol content. I remember waaaayyyyy back in the day, my elementary school sold Smith Brothers Cough Drops. Apparently, they had a decent alcohol content and you had to have a note from your parents to buy them. My mom would give me notes whenever I asked for one, so I would buy them and resell the boxes to other kids :tongue: Paid 10 cents a box and would resell them for 25 cents.

Peddlin' the hooch to the elementary kiddies :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Speaking of peddling at school, we used to soak toothpicks in cinnamon oil (flavoring) and sell them for 10 cents each or 3 for 25. I loved the burn from those things!

Hmmmm.... Maybe a little yummmmmm for a few calories, I'll have to look that up. Get a craving, pop a toothpick! lol
    -Robin

Oh, my gosh-- I LOVED those-- the nuns used to make us throw 'em out, though-- :angry:
  • shorerider
    Options

-Robin

OH!! I made those, too!!!!!! My first few batches were a little toooooo hot though!! I think I sold them for like 10 for $1 or something--I wrapped them in foil.

Geessh, it's a wonder I didn't end up in some other line of work, huh? :wink:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    15 calories out of 1200 at a minimum though,
    its not that much, and I would rather soothe my throat and get better than worry about weight loss at that time.
    Plus, if you go over your alotted amount for 15, its not that big of a deal.....
    You shouldnt be worrying about the calories in a cough drop, you should be worried about curing your cold!

Id recommend teas if you absolutely will avoid cough drops now.
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    15 calories out of 1200 at a minimum though,
    its not that much, and I would rather soothe my throat and get better than worry about weight loss at that time.
    Plus, if you go over your alotted amount for 15, its not that big of a deal.....
    You shouldnt be worrying about the calories in a cough drop, you should be worried about curing your cold!

Id recommend teas if you absolutely will avoid cough drops now.

No, I'm not absolutely avoiding them I have one when i need one. I was just astounded by the fact that there were 15 calories in one. I chew gum a lot and for the kind I chew 2 pieces has less than 5 calories. I figured a cough drop would be about the same. I was just shocked to see how wrong I was. I could have 6 pieces of gum or 1 cough drop. I'm still in shock over it.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options

-Robin

OH!! I made those, too!!!!!! My first few batches were a little toooooo hot though!! I think I sold them for like 10 for $1 or something--I wrapped them in foil.

Geessh, it's a wonder I didn't end up in some other line of work, huh? :wink:

Wrapped 'em in foil? Oh my gosh, I just took them in a sandwich baggie and handed them out with my dirty fingers... lol
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ricola cough drops- sugar free lemon mint has 0 caloriers 0 carbs 000 sugar free cherry also there's a couple others go to the website
  • glitterpiss
    Options
    Its just 15 calories, whats the big deal?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Its just 15 calories, whats the big deal?

Yup. Unless you're eating them all day it's not really going to matter at all. I can see the concern if you use 10 of them a day and they add up to 150, though.