Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low calories vs Hypoglycemia

Hey everyone,

I'm 22 years old and just joined today. I'm at 138 lbs right now and am trying to get to 115 again. I was given a 1200 calorie diet and am really nervous about it, because I have hypoglycemia and don't know that I can live off of just 1200 calories a day without passing out or getting really sick. I have to eat something about ever 2 hours to get through the day and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? My husband doesn't like the 1200 calorie idea and doesn't know that it's a good idea. I'd love any help I can get on this topic.

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Never push your body to do more than it can do. If you feel 1200 calories is too few then eat more. But maybe since you are hypoglycemic you may want to consult a physician, a dietician, or a nutritionist to get their take and opinions.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    I would definitely consult a doctor. It's probably possible, if you eat the right stuff every couple of hours, to do well within the range of 1200, but consulting a professional is your best course of action.
  • I know exactly how you feel. I have hypoglycemia as well so I know how difficult it can be to diet and exercise with it. I found that what helped me was gradually cutting down what I eat. If you're used to eating 1600 calories, try eating 1500, then 1400, and so on. When I tried to drop down to 1200 right away I noticed my blood sugar dropping a lot. I decided to gradually cut things out of my diet and eating healthier snacks instead of the bad ones. Every few days I would try to take 1 thing away until I felt I was where I wanted to be. I used to need 2-3 every work day and now I am where I can go all day without snacks in between, or smaller snacks.

Another piece of advice is to include workouts in your plan. The better shape you're in, the less trouble HG will give you. The best workouts for us are low impact one, things like walking or pilates. If you try to start running without building up the blood sugar will drop. I know it can be so frustrating. I've been an athlete all of my life and when my HG started affecting the way I had to workout it was really upsetting. Try out different things so you can have variety and learn what works and what doesn't. My personal favorites are long walks and Zumba.

These are my 2 pieces of advice from someone who knows exactly how you feel. It may be selfish but I'm glad someone else knows how I feel and what I go through. If you ever need support or advice feel free to ask. :)

-Carrie