From obese to marathoner?

Options
dointime
dointime Posts: 103 Member
Is there anyone here who has gone from being very obese (like 100+ lbs overweight) to running a marathon? One of my goals is to run a marathon by the time I'm 35 (2 1/2 years from now), but I am at least 100 lbs overweight. I don't currently run, but I'm going to start. If you have gone from being obese to running a marathon, I would love to hear your story--how much you lost, what weight you started running at, what weight you were at for your marathon, how you got into running what your training was, that sort of thing. I know it can be done, I'd just love some first hand accounts. Feel free to friend me too, I might want to pick your brain!!! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• blowtotheskull
    Options
    Check out John Bingham http://www.waddle-on.com - he went from being an overweight couch potato to regular runner, incl over 40 marathons.
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    Ps, I'm a pretty serious runner, so feel free to pick my brains re training etc if you like :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

You should watch that video. I started out with 100lbs to lose in March and I started running in April (did the elliptical the first month or so just due to weather). I could hardly run for a minute when I first started and have worked up to running .25 mile/2 min walking in intervals for about 4 miles on average, it's my own variation of the couch to 5k program. I'd suggest starting with something like that (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) and just working your way up.

After I run a 5K I am planning on working towards a 10K then a 1/2 marathon and maybe some day a marathon although I think I'll be happy to be able to run a 1/2 marathon.
  • dointime
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the link. He happens to live in the same city I do! I really need to sleep now, but I bookmarked the site for further reading.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    I was obese /overweight when I started...could hardly rune for more than 5 mions (staminawise). Now I run 5K regularly )almost 2-3 times every week), and a 10K every Sat/Sun. Have run 1 open 6K so far just to test me, now preparing to run a open 10K...
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to. I weighed 226 pounds three years ago, my heaviest. I started with one step at a time, one meal at a time, one day at a time. I was embarrassed to run at first because I was sooooo over weight. I could only imagine people looking at me and feeling sorry for the fat girl working so hard. I would run a little, then walk. Gradually the run intervals got longer and I got lighter. I ran my first marathon this past May and I weighed in at 152 lbs. It never occurred to me to start with a half marathon or 10k. I just went straight for the long race. Foolish me. My husband tried to warn me how difficult training in the winter really is, but I insisted. Had that spring race in my sights and couldn't let go. I tried my best to follow a running schedule by John Stanton, founder of he Running Room store here in Canada. But I just can't seem to do walk/run intervals. It bends my mind around in loops to stop running and then have to start again after a minute. Just easier to keep running :) I didn't break any course speed records for the marathon mind you, but I got it done in 4hrs 51min. So now I'm working on my pace and strength training. I plan to run that same marathon annually and bring in a better time every year. Next year I plan on shaving off an hour. I hadn't done any strength training for this past spring. It makes a HUGE difference. I run on average about 35 to 45k a week now and find it hard to believe that I used to run only a few meters at a time :) My long distance runs once a week have improved significantly with the strength training. And really, if I can run marathon, you can too. It takes determination, motivation and a change in your thinking. I had to change everything about my life, including how I looked at food and exercise. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. I will offer you all the support I can.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Never ran a marathon but went from being more than 100 lb overweight to running 5k regularly (3x a week). I am still 50 lb overweight + have a spinal injury/ankle injury and I am just back to running 10 (slow!) consecutive minutes after 3 years of inactivity due to a car accident. Yay me!

Start small and celebrate every little victory. Put one foot in front of another. As Lisa said, when you get lighter you definitely notice your body moves better and faster! I also noticed I got a huge runner's high, which was a great bonus!

A tip - something that really helped me as a big girl running were lycra shorts under my running pants - it helps with chafing, also you can get that silicon gel stuff that helps with rubbing.

Good luck, anything is possible if you want it enough.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I was obese when I did a Marathon! It wasn't easy or pretty, and it took me 7:15 doing run/walk intervals (I know, I could have walked it quicker!) but it's possible. I'd caution that the reason I didn't drop any weight in training is I didn't keep track of what I was eating or make healthy choices at all. I was constantly starving and ate whatever I felt like!

Having dropped a lot of weight I'm hoping for a much better performance in a half marathon I'm doing in October.

C25K is absolutely the way to go, it's been so successful for nearly everyone who tried it. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you find it tough.

Here are my beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

And here's a post on run/walk intervals as popularised by Jeff Galloway and the aforementioned John Bingham "The Penguin":
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/run-walk-intervals-from-c25k-to-marathon-117585
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! Great feedback, and I am really trying to become a runner, so far it isn't pretty but hopefully it will click one day soon. And all these tips were fantastic!! :)
  • dointime
    Options
    Thanks to all for the feedback. I know I can do it, just wanted to know how others got there. I have some marathoners in the family, but none have ever been fat before, so that puts a different spin on it. I'm starting C25K on Monday (hopefully the weather will cooperate!!!) and I just can't wait. Looks like I have some reading to do before then!