Just wrong!

Options
2»

Replies

• djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    I'll take the ads! I like the fact that this is such an amazing resource and it's free!! I just ignore them unless it's something I'm interested in buying anyway.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    what really cracks me up are not the ads for food, but the ads for sparkpeople. noooo thank you, i love mfp, no way do i want to go back to sp! hahaha.
  • Appersmere
    Appersmere Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I should have put a smiley face after my initial post. I'm not angry about it, I thought it was kinda comical actually. I also realize that the ads we see is what helps to keep this site free for us. However... how are they related to what our search history is? I don't look up anything having to do with junk foods, or (what I'm currently seeing...) ESPN... or most of the other bazillion ads I've seen on here. I have certain sites I am on everyday and that's all I do. Anyway... I don't care how it all works. I just thought I'd show the irony in it.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Google (not MFP) chooses the ads based on your search history.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You are what you Google. :happy:

When the ads annoy me, I just search a couple times for music, books, vacations, exercise equipment, whatever and I get different ads.

this! *L*
    my ad has been ING Direct banking for the last 4 days *L*
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    If it still bothers you, you could always install an AdBlock plugin if you have Firefox or Chrome to block those ads.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Ok, maybe I should have put a smiley face after my initial post. I'm not angry about it, I thought it was kinda comical actually. I also realize that the ads we see is what helps to keep this site free for us. However... how are they related to what our search history is? I don't look up anything having to do with junk foods, or (what I'm currently seeing...) ESPN... or most of the other bazillion ads I've seen on here. I have certain sites I am on everyday and that's all I do. Anyway... I don't care how it all works. I just thought I'd show the irony in it.

Since you don't go on many sites, it's possible Google is just picking ads for you. My current ads are Chase bank (which I am a member of) and Swell.com (a surf/skateboarding clothing shop that I frequently order from). So yeah... the ads are VERY much tied to your Googling history.