Belly Fat Burners??

Options
chelbel89
chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
Unfortunately most of the weight I have gained has gone straight to my belly, resulting in some very awkward conversations with cashiers who inquire about the baby I am not carrying... So, I keep hearing all of this stuff about Cortisol and how it makes you retain belly fat. But they also say that there are foods that help, anyone have any suggestions that have worked for you in the past??

Replies

• tireetje
    tireetje Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm very interested about this too, as my mum who only weighs 56kg, and looks healthily skinny, does have a problem with her
    stomach area. She works out a lot and eats very healthily. So we do not understand why she has this 'gut'. Obviously she feels it is a lot worse than it is. advice would be helpful. x
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is a stress hormone, so reducing stress and getting adequate sleep help.

There is unfortunately no way to spot reduce. To get rid of belly fat, you have to reduce overall body fat.
  • chelbel89
    Options
    Hmm. I guess that makes sense. I am a full time student and I work 48 hours per week in the health care industry (ironic). I have heard that Yoga is supposed to be a theraputic and relaxing way to help manage stress, but at my weight I worry that I would just become frustrated and defeat the purpose...
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can get your cortisol tested by two methods, one is random cortisol test which is best done early in the morning ...and the other is a 24 hour pee test which is more comprehensive and accurate. Some places have a third method where they actually suppress the cortisol and see if your body reacts to the suppression or if cortisol is still present. All these tests are obviously done through a doctor, other than that the only thing you can do is try to reduce your stress.
  • chelbel89
    Options
    :happy: thanks for all they help guys!
  • jessicamiller25
    Options
    With belly fat I believe in prevention! Stay away from processed foods and high fructose corn syrup. It takes a chemistry degree to totally understand it but pretty much your body treats these man made products as a toxin (similar to alcohol). It can not be processed correctly and is often stored as fat in your muscles and liver. I would recommend finding a few meals that you enjoy and can keep track of the calories that are nutritious and stick to those daily. You are already on the right track by joining a calorie counting journal. Make sure you burn more calories then you take in. The above comment is correct about not being able to spot reduce. Cardio, Cardio, Cardio to burn calories will get rid of the extra fat (work towards 300 calories a day x 5 days a week) then you can start to work on certain spots with weight training. For nutrition, 5 meals a day around 300 calories will keep your metabolism going all day and give you the fuel you need while keeping you full. Example: meal 1: 1 toast, 2 eggs, 1 fruit... meal 2: 1 fruit, cup cottage cheese meal 3: protein shake meal 4:chicken breast, sweet potato, greens meal 5: greek yogurt, honey and water all day!