a bump in the road? or a cliff?

Options
So this will be long, but i really need to tell my whole story
I started out on my weight loss journey doing great. I lost weight consistently about a pound a week give or take for a while till i lost about 40 lbs. Then i went on vacation in june and july and really haven't lost any substantial weight since then. i have gained 10 POUNDS!!! i haven't been quite as careful since the vacations but i have not just given up. There would be some days i would not log, but i knew about how many cals i was eating. I had an off day once a week, but i stopped that about a month ago. The last 2.5 weeks i have been VERY careful to exercise almost every day and stick to my calories, and i get on the scale and i gained 1.5 pounds!! :explode: i don't know what the deal is! I want to give in and get this diet pill but i KNOW that they are not good for me.
At first i thought i could be in starvation mode but i didn't know if you could actually GAIN weight in it? Besides i know about it and i try to eat most of my net cals...
Can anyone help me out here?

Replies

• Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I started out on my weight loss journey doing great. I lost weight consistently about a pound a week give or take for a while till i lost about 40 lbs. Then i went on vacation in june and july and really haven't lost any substantial weight since then. i have gained 10 POUNDS!!! i haven't been quite as careful since the vacations but i have not just given up. There would be some days i would not log, but i knew about how many cals i was eating. I had an off day once a week, but i stopped that about a month ago. The last 2.5 weeks i have been VERY careful to exercise almost every day and stick to my calories, and i get on the scale and i gained 1.5 pounds!! :explode: i don't know what the deal is! I want to give in and get this diet pill but i KNOW that they are not good for me.
    At first i thought i could be in starvation mode but i didn't know if you could actually GAIN weight in it? Besides i know about it and i try to eat most of my net cals...
  • Cassia
    Options
    hmm no one?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Just hang in there. My weight can go up and down 2.5 pounds a day. that don't mean I gained 2.5 of fat. Just try to eat all your calories and maybe up your exercise a little. Eventually you will lose. Also I think you should keep your free day in there. I swear it has helped me.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Don't jump!!!!!

I would think that maybe your body is having to basically "readjust" to the whole weight loss game. Granted you weren't going crazy since your vacations but since you are really focusing now and being more concious of what you are eating....it could be your body adapting again to losing weight (initial shock and holding on), possible muscle (but it takes a bit to gain that), water retention (due to change in diet), or....could simply be stress related. Even if you don't use that as an excuse for weight loss/gain issues it is still a factor. Maybe you worry too much about it.....

I am not a doctor/trainer/etc but those could be some things happening....
    Congrats on the initial loss and don't worry about the gain...just re-evaluate some things and keep going. It's nice to hear from you again.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cassia
    Options
    ok thank you so much :heart: both of you. do you think that after 2.5 weeks i would gain though? idk but it seems that it shouldn't go UP after that... I think I might spare the money to go to a nutritionalist if i can't get this figured out, but i really don't want to spend the money if i could avoid it...
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    ok thank you so much :heart: both of you. do you think that after 2.5 weeks i would gain though? idk but it seems that it shouldn't go UP after that... I think I might spare the money to go to a nutritionalist if i can't get this figured out, but i really don't want to spend the money if i could avoid it...

HAHA! I've only lost 6 lbs since starting in May....
    Even with the last 2 months being really strict and doing killer workouts.
    Don't worry...things will catch up....and if they don't....you have options. :happy:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Well take a look at what you are eating. Is it healthy food that fuels your body or junk.

A sample of what I eat

Breakfast
    2 eggs with peppers and onions
    oatmeal with bananas

Snack
    Fiber one bar
    dry Shredded maple mini wheats

Lunch
    Soup - any kind with veggies in it
    Tuna or chicken salad on melba toast
    frozen diner
    Chicken wrap with low carb tortilla and lettuce or broccoli slaw
    add a peice of fruit

Snack
    Yogurt & raisens
    or Cheese stick & V-8

Supper
    Grilled steak, chicken, or fish and veggies
    Soups
    Spaghette
    add a peice of fruit

Snack
    popcorn
  • Cassia
    Options
    honesty, i eat pretty healthy
    in fact most of my friends think of me as a heath freak.
    this last week i have tried to go off dairy products again, when i did it in the beginning i lost better so i'm giving that another try. Also, very little packaged foods. Maybe one packaged food a day ( pack of crackers, Lean cusine, balance gold bar, ect) Idk i just got on the scale again a min ago hoping for some encouragement...nope! up again!! :mad: GERR!!!! it said "Low" when i first got on as in low battery? :huh: So maybe that has something to do with it? hopefully
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    this last week i have tried to go off dairy products again, when i did it in the beginning i lost better so i'm giving that another try. Also, very little packaged foods. Maybe one packaged food a day ( pack of crackers, Lean cusine, balance gold bar, ect) Idk i just got on the scale again a min ago hoping for some encouragement...nope! up again!! :mad: GERR!!!! it said "Low" when i first got on as in low battery? :huh: So maybe that has something to do with it? hopefully

Could be.
    Also make sure you are eating enough, especially if you work out and that your settings are right for your lifestyle.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

were you looking in my diary---lol im having the same exact issues--im just trying to tell myself it takes time i didnt lose the first 40 in just 2 weeks. im giving it 6 before i truelly get bummed. sorry i have no advise but keep your head up
  • Cassia
    Options

Could be.
    Also make sure you are eating enough, especially if you work out and that your settings are right for your lifestyle.
    well i thought i could be that but i don't think you GAIN weight in the starvation mode :sad: i could be wrong though, in fact i really hope that i am
  • Cassia
    Options

were you looking in my diary---lol im having the same exact issues--im just trying to tell myself it takes time i didnt lose the first 40 in just 2 weeks. im giving it 6 before i truelly get bummed. sorry i have no advise but keep your head up
    ok thanks, you to :ohwell:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Could be.

However, if you were starving for a particular amount of time, not tracking, etc and then restart....you're body may not be willing to let go of what you gave it... Does that make sense?
    well i thought i could be that but i don't think you GAIN weight in the starvation mode :sad: i could be wrong though, in fact i really hope that i am
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There are so many factors in loosing weigh, are you eating enough , are you eating 6 small meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones.... Drinking enough, keeping the sodium down, getting ready for your period.......When I'm in doubt I read the classics again and change things up a bit. The one that cought my attention is the one about eating 700 calories and gaining weight... I'll post the links for you, maybe you see something you could change to get better results? Plus weight is only one of the indicators of good health, gaining muscle, endurance, energie and an overall well being is a lot more important then numbers on a scale
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    I hope this helps a bit. THere was also a link about glycemic index but I can't find it right now. Good luck:drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    There are so many factors in loosing weigh, are you eating enough , are you eating 6 small meals instead of 2 or 3 large ones.... Drinking enough, keeping the sodium down, getting ready for your period.......When I'm in doubt I read the classics again and change things up a bit. The one that cought my attention is the one about eating 700 calories and gaining weight... I'll post the links for you, maybe you see something you could change to get better results? Plus weight is only one of the indicators of good health, gaining muscle, endurance, energie and an overall well being is a lot more important then numbers on a scale
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
    I hope this helps a bit. THere was also a link about glycemic index but I can't find it right now. Good luck:drinker:

Ahhhh I LOVE the classics....
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I know that if I'm not sleeping enough, I gain overnight. No matter what I ate or how much I exercised, I will always gain if I don't sleep well. Good luck! Hang in there & it'll balance out!
  • Cassia
    Options
    ok thanks yall.
    I'm going to go do a tae-bo tape ( i do one almost everyday) maybe i will get a good workout... get the endorphins up
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm in the SAME BOAT. When you figure it out!? let me know! I've been stuck for months! and go up and down 5lbs.!
  • Cassia
    Options
    I'm in the SAME BOAT. When you figure it out!? let me know! I've been stuck for months! and go up and down 5lbs.!
    ok well at least i know I'm not alone :ohwell:
    i just ran on the treadmil for 2 mi so i feel a little better
    now for the tae-bo
    :tongue:
    i really do feel better...:huh: weird
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Endorphines.