PROTEIN BARS

Options
shasim
shasim Posts: 7 Member
:smile: Hi Everyone

Im been using MFP for about 2 months now and going really well. I have increased my gym sessions/classes and really putting in 100% effort.

Im also really watching what I eat - trying to eat the correct things and most of the time I am (......... I have the odd slipup every couple of weeks or so or maybe I should say "treat", where I'll allow myself pasta and the odd glass of wine on a Saturday night - nothing too drastic).

Anyway .... here's my question. Ive been looking at the Protein Bars and I picked one up today, although I haven't eaten it yet. What are your thoughts on the Nutritional Information on this bar? I don't know what Im looking for and Im really aware of the calorie/sugar content etc. Does this one look ok or is it loaded with rubbish (like most "healthy options" are).

Also, should I be eating something like this in place of a meal i.e. lunchtime??

This is for a 60g bar

MaxiMuscle - Promax

Energy 204kcal
Protein 20.3g
Carbs 18.4 g
of which sugar 10.6g
of which polyols 5.8g
Fat 5.6g
of which saturates 2.3g
Fibre 5.1g
Sodium 0.18g

Any advice I'd be grateful. Thanks :o)

Replies

• EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    umm im not a big fan of protein bars.. id rather have the shake.. for some reason i find if i have protein bars regularly my fat increases.. prolly because it doesnt absorb as easly or i dont know the science there lol
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big protein bar fan either...I prefer to eat "real" food. :) When I do grab a protein bar, I go with the Think Thin bars because they have 0g of sugar but still taste sweet.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used to do them(zone bars low card) but now all i do is 6 to 8 oz of fat free chocolate milk after my workouts
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I use them, but sparingly, and almost always either when I can't get a real meal, or right before a workout to burn off the excess sugars.

They are fine, but you are way better off with real food, if you have time to make it.
  • shasim
    shasim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses ...... maybe it's a better option if I try the protein shakes instead.

I knew something that tasted good would be too good to be true LOL ! (Tried a little sample at the gym the other night as a little taster).

:ohwell:
  • megandurden
    megandurden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This was very useful information that was given to me.....

"I usually have one protein shake a day (I use the EAS products at Walmart). If you're doing a lot of weight training, shakes are a great way to get your protein in in large doses and to meet your intake requirements (1 gram per 1 pound of ideal body weight). They can also be good meal replacements if your schedule keeps you on the go a lot.

You want to make sure that the shake you use doesn't have a ton of calories or a lot of sugars. You don't want one shake taking half of your alloted calories for the day.

Experiment with which shake works best for you. Some are whey based. Others are soy based. Some are casein based. I tend to use soy based products.

In the end, your dietary intake should be as naturally based as possible. Don't rely soley on shakes to make it through the day. "

Best wishes! :)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'll third that. No fan of protein bars either. I will make a protein shake with Muscle Milk, adding tons of fresh fruit. Same calories, better tasting, and more filling. I try to stick to foods that are one ingredient, or ingredients that I don't have to be a chemical engineer, to have a clue as to what they are.
  • TooFitToQuit
    Options
    I love how they taste (weird, I know), but there are other options that I think are better for an after-workout boost. I have 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition protein powder mixed w/ 1/4 C Silk Milk Lite and 1 T. Better'n Peanut Butter. Eat it with a spoon, and it's like dessert! Really tasty and really good for you!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think the shakes are better for you. The bars aren't bad but there are better sources of protein available. A lot of the bars have tons of added sugar and carbs. I buy the Pure Protein bars because they maximize protein, 20g, and limit sugars, 3g, and are 200 calories. I only have a couple per week though and its generally before a workout if I haven't eat properly or had time earlier in the day.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this topic! When I began running more, I started eating a bar a day, usually at work if I don't have time for a better meal. I wanted to look into some alternatives though, so I guess shakes would be a better way to go?
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Definately the shakes. I have at least 3 a day myself. Breakfast, before and after working out. Too much other "stuff" in the bars.