which would be best to workout on?

Options
okay, i just got a gym membership at the local ymca. im curious what everyones opinions are! i want to burn fat, but tone up, which machines would be the best to workout on? my favorites are the elliptical and the stationary bike. but if im there for at least an hour, which ones do you think would give me the best workout for the day?

Replies

• mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    the treadmill, doing HIIT circuits. warm up by walking, and then do 4 circuits of walking/jogging for 3 minutes, running/sprinting for 1 minute. repeat and then cool down. then get on the stairclimber for 15 minutes. i've done this and i burned 400 cals easily. (i jog/sprinted, but not sure how your activity level is).
  • njoithomp
    njoithomp Posts: 61
    Options
    You should incorporate free weights and/or resistance exercises because if you do them in a circuit, you will burn fat and tone up at the same time. If you don't know how to lift weights or are unsure what to do, I think that an employee of the gym will show you. So like you could spend 30 minutes doing the HIIT training and then the other 30 doing some resistance exercises.
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think the Elliptical is better then the bike it burns more calories...
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I used to do 45 minutes on either the elliptical or the recumbent bike followed by 45 minutes of weight lifting with the machines, followed up with 10-15 minutes of stretching.
  • lframent
    lframent Posts: 33
    Options
    If you decide to use free weights or use the resistance machines, do your strength training first and then your cardio (stationary bike/elliptical). I've found that completing strength training after a cardio workout is awful - you won't be able to give 100% because you'll be too tired from the cardio. So, strength training first, cardio second! x
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think the Elliptical is better then the bike it burns more calories...

i actually burned more calories on the bike than the elliptical. but i thought the elliptical had more of my body into the workout than the bike
  • aethompson5507
    Options
    If you decide to use free weights or use the resistance machines, do your strength training first and then your cardio (stationary bike/elliptical). I've found that completing strength training after a cardio workout is awful - you won't be able to give 100% because you'll be too tired from the cardio. So, strength training first, cardio second! x

good tip! thanks!
  • aethompson5507
    Options
    the treadmill, doing HIIT circuits. warm up by walking, and then do 4 circuits of walking/jogging for 3 minutes, running/sprinting for 1 minute. repeat and then cool down. then get on the stairclimber for 15 minutes. i've done this and i burned 400 cals easily. (i jog/sprinted, but not sure how your activity level is).

this would be a great idea, but i have osteoarthritis(gotta love family genes) , so running is a bit painful on the knees & hips, but i am on a new med. and hopefully i can get back to running sooner than later!
  • aethompson5507
    Options
    whats HIIT? lol