College Weight Gain

Options
Hi! I'm Anna and I'm still studying for all of those little certification tests you don't hear about until you get into the programs for them. Going into college, I heard about the 'Freshman 15' (gain 15 lbs) and 'Sophmore 10' (lose 10 lbs). I thought, "Okay, that's great, I'll just work on my nutrition and insure I don't gain weight." Well, that went great for freshman year, but sophmore year - let's just say the roles reversed except I didn't lose weight freshman year and when I entered college I already was over ten pounds of the healthy weight range (according to BMI).

So now I'm entering junior year after a rocky sophmore year and have decided my summer off would be my "New Year's". I'm trying to start a sort of wellness program for myself and one of the aspects of this self-made program to get me back on track is health. Hence the reason why I'm on this website now after weeks of trying to commit to myself and failing. With the diaries and calculators installed on this website for me to access easily, I may actually get something done. Now adding in will power wouldn't hurt either.

A better lifestyle ensures more confidence and self-respect. I really need that and hope some can share their stories of improvement or failings with me too.

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    When you take study breaks, don't let that also be a "diet break". You can study just fine without pizza. (I figured that out a little late.) Just make smart food choices (I don't know if you eat in the school's cafeteria...they're notorious for bad food), drink lots of water, and get in a workout at least 4 or 5 days a week, even if it's just walking around campus. Remember, exercise is a stress killer, so when you're stressed about tests and projects and finals, take a break and do a workout. You can do this!
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same! I'm headed into my Jr. year as well, I gained a some weight my freshman year because I took on the job of supervisor at a local pub, BAD IDEA.

But, you can do it, with the help of this site, I now eat right and am EXTREMELY active.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say good for you for doing this now! I waited until after I graduated and just kept gaining weight until that point. Good luck and you can do it! (just avoid the caf, mine was all you can eat!!)

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want more support :flowerforyou:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    So good to see other college kids on here! My freshman year I was determined to not gain weight, and was opposite and lost around 15 lbs. At the end of my senior year was when I got into working out, and I wanted to keep it up. All I can say is, don't turn to food! It's hard to find time between school, work, studying, socializing, and of course, working out, to fit everything in! It's hard for me to cook, especially this past year in a dorm with a meal plan, but next year I have an apartment with a kitchen. I like www.skinnytaste.com recipes, and I like using Lean Cuisine market creations. Some say frozen food is bad for you, but you can always find healthy alternatives that are quick and easy. I suggest making healthy recipes and then making enough for the week so you can reuse and reheat. :) Good luck!!! :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as you, except in grad school. I steadily gained and lost all throughout college. Then during my Master's degree I gained a whopping 30 pounds. I've since lost and gained during my PhD. I've always put school first and found excuses not to go to the gym or not to eat properly. I personally start spiraling when I don't go to the gym - I tell myself I'll go after a day of work, and then I'm so exhausted that I don't go and instead sit at home and eat cookies and watch movies. My experience (which is easier said than done) is that you need to make it a priority. I need routine in my life, so I've made going to the gym part of my morning routine. It's hard at first, but it gives me more energy for the rest of the day. That's just my experience... While in school, just as you make studying or going to classes or writing part of your routine, you need to give equal importance to fitness and what you consume.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    Junior here too! I don't know about you, but I'm moving into an on-campus apartment this year so I'm not required to have a full meal plan. I feel better knowing I can control my own meals instead of grabbing what looks most edible in the cafeteria. What gets me is snacking! Good luck--It's tough to balance out a healthy lifestyle with the stress of being a college student, but I THINK it's possible ;)
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My freshman year I gained 20 pounds.. I could have used it though because I was 10 pounds underweight anyway. It wasn't until my 3rd year that I started to feel good again. That's when I moved off of residence and was able to cook my own meals. With cafeteria food it's so easy to skip the vegetables and load up on french fries and help yourself to ice cream. I also walked a lot more being off campus and so I was active on days when I couldn't get a workout in.

Enforcing good habits now will definitely help you throughout the school year! I graduated from my undergrad in 2008 but am now heading back to school (how sick is that?!) for another 4 years so I'm hoping I make healthy decisions for snacks while studying and also remain active.. or as much as I can given the hectic schedule! My advice to you (and myself) is to eat healthy and try to make time for yourself. I know when I'm eating poorly my attitude suffers, I feel gross, energy is lacking etc. So how will that help me do well in school? By focusing on being healthy, it's a win-win for both my attitude and for my studies.
  • AnaBananaChan
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the responses, the suggestions and similar stories. :wink:

The ideas for studying and stress are great. Yeah, I don't eat at the cafeteria anymore - I love to cook too much (see part of my problem).

In response to stress, my grandmother would always say that "sitting up straight will take the shoulder pain away" and "smiling uses fewer muscles than frowning, so make the day better and give the sunshine something to compete against." Just thought the little things might amuse you.