Calories posted on menus, would it influence how you order?

Options
So, when you are dining out, if the calories/nutrition of each entree were listed on the menu, would it influence what you choice to eat/order?

I watched a news report last night which concluded most people would not be swayed by knowing what the calories are in their favorite Stone Cold Creamery Milkshake or KFC Double Down sandwich. I personally LOVE it when the calories are posted. It is ABSOLUTELY the determining factor in my decision making process.

I personally used the nutrition posted to aid with my breakfast decision at Starbucks in NYC and what breakfast sandwich I ate at 30th street station in Philadelphia! I think it would be a real eye opener to a LOT of people.

Replies

• arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    No. When I go out to eat, I get what I want, not what's low in calories. I don't eat out ever really, maybe once every 2 months or so. So when I do go out, I go out to get exactly what I want, regardless of the nutritional info =]
  • stepha1013
    stepha1013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would definitely love it if they did this. I always try and look up NI before going out.

Sadly though, even in the grocery stores wtih NI right on the packaging, there are a lot of people who don't pay any attention.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So, when you are dining out, if the calories/nutrition of each entree were listed on the menu, would it influence what you choice to eat/order?

I watched a news report last night which concluded most people would not be swayed by knowing what the calories are in their favorite Stone Cold Creamery Milkshake or KFC Double Down sandwich. I personally LOVE it when the calories are posted. It is ABSOLUTELY the determining factor in my decision making process.

I personally used the nutrition posted to aid with my breakfast decision at Starbucks in NYC and what breakfast sandwich I ate at 30th street station in Philadelphia! I think it would be a real eye opener to a LOT of people.

It would totally influence what I choose to order! Like you, my decisions are based on the numbers, and if they don't provide the numbers, I often stick to salads and other veggies. I love it when the calories are posted, and I agree--I think a lot of people would eat better (and a lot of restaurants would OFFER better) if the calories were listed.

Kris
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    Options
    It's the law here in California that that information has to be posted (at chain restaurants). It absolutely influences me in my choices.
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    I usually ask for Nutritional Information when I'm dining out. There's a place that we go for lunch that doesn't have it/won't provide it and I won't go there anymore. I told the manager I need to know what I'm eating. You need to be able to inform your customers. So they are coming out with a lighter side menu that will be under 500 calories. I'm excited about the change.
  • DaniiWanii
    DaniiWanii Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They do it here in the UK in a few places that I have been and it defiantly influences my choice of food.
    I always try not to go over 400cals per meal when eating out. Not because I am trying to lose weight but I just wouldn't want to eat something with so many calories in it. Especially when I haven't made the food myself... very much into home cooking.

I think it is a great thing :)
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    It would for me. If I can, I log the foods I'm thinking about getting before I order anyway. It really is surprising how many empty calories are in some foods and drinks.
  • chelseawilliamson
    Options
    yes, it was def sway my decision as to what i put in my mouth..
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

To answer your question.... YES!!!!!!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    IF you love in a BOB EVANS area.....they have a BOOK in the restaurant that has all the calorie and fat gram information you would be looking for. You just have to ask. Not everything is posted in the menu....but, that book has it all! Also, you can type in ahead on MFP to see what calories and fat grams the items are. IF you dont know the whole menu.....it is online. I have set in Bob evans looking at that book for a half an hour in shock!!! Salmon and chicken were the best choices by far. GRILLED chicken. Who knows, other restaurants may have a book that is similar to that as well. Just ask! : ) Make the right choices if you are like me and go out to eat every week. Good luck!
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, it definitely influences my choice. When we visited NYC, I loved that most places (chains) had the calorie info on their menu.. It would be great if that was the norm!!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    It depends, for me! When I go out, I tend to look up the restaurant online and try to pick out what I'm getting beforehand, nutritionally. But if I'm craving something specific, watch out.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I usually end up eating out a lot because of my job, meetings and stuff. Yes, calorie counts influence what I choose most times and when they are not on the menu, i ask the waitress if they have a menu for lower calories, some places have them but don't put them readily available. of course there's times i just feeling eating something special, in that case i just eat half or share w/ someone.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It would influence how I order, and would probably save me a lot of hassle from having to look it up ahead of time (if available) or on my phone on the way there. Haha
  • jenc79
    jenc79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To a degree it would help to infuence me definately, but not be the only thing I look at.

The cafe at my gym does this for their "diet" foods, but not the rest of the menu - would make more sense to me if they did the lot!
  • vibrant80
    vibrant80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Overall, yes I wish restaurants would post the nutrition info right in their menus. I generally try to look stuff up before we go and make the most reasonable choice, but once in a while, you just gotta have that Insane Pasta with eight kinds of cheese, and damn the calories. :)
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I went out recently to a pub and they had a 'lighter choice' selection, and had the calories for all things in that selection. I picked something off that menu. If I hadn't have seen that I would have either gotten a salad (which may of had more calories than expected and wouldn't have necessarily filled me up) or something stupid like a burger or chips. The 'lighter choice' allowed me to have a beef lasagne and actually enjoy my food without obsessing over whether I'd overeaten or not.

That said, I absolutely love Butter Chicken and Naan at my favourite Indian Restaurant and I think it's best I never know how many calories in it. I'd rather it wasn't completely ruined for me.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Totally would make a difference to me. I am amazed at how much sodium is in restaurant meals and once I know what's in it I cannot bring myself to order it. I eat out all the time so I have to make good choices and usually its almost impossible when your eating out.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    It would DEFINITELY influence my choices! I wish they would start doing this. Would take a lot of the guess work out of oredering and would reduce my frustration with dining out.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Nope it wouldn't effect me at sit down restaurants... Because I rarely go out, I am going to get what I want. Now Fast food restaurants are a different story, because fast food is used as a necessity for me, I absolutely want to pick the most healthy choice possible. (if that is even possible) lol