Babies!

Options
Hubby & I have been married just over a year (together for almost 7 ;) ) and he's just started expressing interest in having our first baby. I'm interested to know what you all did before you got pregnant/ wish you did before you got pregnant. I'm looking for some loose advice, and I work in the medical field so that part's covered :)

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    bump

My hubby and I are both ready for kids, but I'm not ready to be fat again, lol
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i thought because i was vegan i thought i wouldnt gain a lot. i ate really good and still gained 45 pounds. just dont worry about your weight to the point of possibly hurting yourself/baby. i cried when i gained weight and hit the 30 pound mark and it was recommended to gain no more than 25 pounds, which looking back seems ridiculous. Its natural to gain weight of course, but rather gain weight and your baby be healthy than try to gain little weight and something happen. you can always lose weight, you cant get back those 9 months. good luck.
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Two things that I really regret doing during my pregnancies:

1. Using being pregnant as an excuse to eat whatever didn't move fast enough
    2. Using being pregnant and afraid of miscarriage as an excuse to not exercise

If I could go back, I would do things a lot differently. Good luck and God Bless on whatever you decide!! :happy:
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    I have a 7 month old. There are many things I wish I had done differently. One thing I did was go crazy with food. I ate a lot because I could and I would feel bad if I didn't eat a lot. I just wish I had chosen healthy foods. I gained a massive amount: 60+ lbs. I have since lost about 50 of those lbs before I joined this website. My bad choices were all food wise and not getting some type of exercise in. I was pregnant in the summer and the heat in Fresno, Ca is not fun. I would get violently sick if I would go out. Not sure how any of this is going to help you, to be honest! Lol But I wish you the best. My daughter is the best thing that has ever happened to me, especially since I never really thought I'd have children and I was told it would be difficult for me to have children also.
  • Ahendon824
    Ahendon824 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello! I would like to tell you that there is nothing you can't do after having a baby that you could do before!!! As in weight loss, I had always been overweight my adult life. Before I got pregnant with my 1st I was 210. The day I had her 250. After that I decided enough was enough. With in 18 months I was down to 145 with only eating right and exercising!!! I maintained around 145-150 for quite some time. Then pregnant with my next!! She is now 7 months and I'm proud to say I have 16lbs to go before I'm back to my starting weight! =) Good luck in whatever path you chose to take!!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I started having kids at 24, I wish I took better care of myself BEFORE I got pregnant. I had no idea how to be healthy until later. Another big regret is that I never took pictures because I stayed overweight for 10 years! Looking back, I wish I was one of those moms with jogging strollers!! You are luck to think ahead and good luck to you two!!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    i wished i would have lost weight first! i was 200 pounds when i got pregnant and i ended up with some health issues and had my daughter 3 weeks early. she was jaundice and had to be bottle fed before i got a chance to breast feed and that made breast feeding a nightmare. i will for sure be in better health next time ( i almost said this time......) and want to try and avoid another c-section. good luck and God bless you both!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    My 4th pregnancy was my best ever because I started my "weight loss journey" when I found out I was pregnant to try to not gain the 40+ lbs like I did with the other 3 pregnancies since I was starting off at almost 200 lbs to begin with. I ate good food, drank lots of water, and started walking on the treadmill and riding the stationary bike until it got too uncomfortable for me (about month 8).

I only gained 21 lbs with her and a month after her birth I started MFP 10 lbs less than my pre pregnancy weight... after 4 pregnancies I'm in the best shape of my life and she just turned 1 on July 7. :)

Pregnancy is great but a lot of it sucks... do what you can (continue to eat healthy and exercise) and it will be 100 times better!! I'm a pro at it by now but the shop is closed!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Had a cleaner diet before I got pregnant.
    Knew that I would crave healthy food until my third trimester then want nothing but laffy taffy and pink starburst, My TMJ issues and my Ortho patients did not love me for this. (still ate other foods BUT)
    Had an active workout routine prior to getting pregnant, its easier to continue while pregnant then start a new one
    Let go of my OCD must know everything issues. (You can NOT plan labor, even with a flippin birth plan it can all go wrong :sad: )
    Talked to more moms with multiple kids to find out what I REALLY needed and what I didnt (I will not have nearly as much crap the next time around)
    I actually enjoyed my round belly (let me tell you I was ALL belly) so I didnt see myself as getting fatter, just showing off the baby.
    Realize people will make RUDE comments. Next time around my sister and I will both be getting a shirt we found that says "Yes Im Pregnant, NO its not twins, YES that was rude."
    I will not work straight up to my due date again (or on my due date) I wasnt in pain but I got really tired of being asked "oh you havent had the baby yet?" apparently the other offices did not appreciate my rhetorical answer of "Oh! I had him Im answering the phone from my hospital bed" (rhetorical question to a full term pregnant person = rhetorical answer)
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I wish I had kept exercising while pregnant and ate healthier. I used the excuse "I'm pregnant!" all the time to not exercise and eat whatever I wanted. After nine months of bad habits it was really hard to undo those habits after I gave birth. And with all the stress of having a new baby, especially your first, that just compounded the problem.

I gained 40 lbs while pregnant, lost it all within 2 months of giving birth, and slowly gained all of it back over a year. My advice is to keep exercising, even if it is only walking, just keep moving. The endurance and muscle strength will really help when you give birth. Eat healthy, and think about your cravings before you hit the fridge. If your craving ice cream, your body is telling you it needs calcium. Have a glass of milk or some yogurt instead.

After the birth, sign up for mommy baby exercise classes. I didn't do that and I wish I had.

Good luck and I wish you health and happiness :)
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Exercise BEFORE getting pregnant and during pregnancy as long as you aren't high risk.
    I noticed with my last son, I was more active than all my other pregnancies, and although a rough pregnancy, labor was the easiest. Being pregnant does not mean you have to get fat. I actually lost weight with 2 of my pregnancies because I followed what the doctor told me, and didn't listen to everyone else who said you had to gain X amount of weight to be healthy. Your doctor is your best friend during pregnancy so make sure that you absolutely love him/her.

Talk about discipline and how you are going to raise your child. What about the morals you want to instill in them, do you want to teach them a certain religion, what about manners. Schooling (private or public) how about the responsibilities of both parents, is dad going to help, are you going to breastfeed or bottle feed or both. Is dad going to be involved in the night feedings. What about when baby/child is sick...... I know that parents think that they have all the time in the world for this, but it is better now to agree on how you are going to raise your child, then waiting for him/her to get here and realize that you both are on different pages of different books and you can't meet in the middle. Are you able to be a stay at home mom, or are you going to work... what about day care, are you going to go to a facility, hire a nanny, hire a private sitter, let family members babysit...... you get the point.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Let go of my OCD must know everything issues. (You can NOT plan labor, even with a flippin birth plan it can all go wrong :sad: )

Love this & I know about this all too well! I had my 10 lb 0 oz daughter NATURALLY in the emergency room... crumpled birth plan at my feet. :laugh:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Well since I'm pregnant with baby number two...

I will take a vacation with just my hubby before this baby gets here. As much as we love our Jasper we need some time along before this one gets here.

I eat what I want to a degree. I will not eat a billion grilled chicken burritos like I did last time because the thought of it makes me nauseated. Lol.

I am more active with this pregnancy than the last but I don't have a choice because I have a 20 month old.

I am going to rest as much as humanely possible.

And I probably won't make the mistake of walking around the Memphis Zoo when it's 90+ outside in flip flops 7 months pregnant. Had to ice bath my feet and ankles and had impressions of my flip flops for hours after we got back to the hotel. My OB was NOT happy with me about it.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would express interest! :( All he does is express 'not now' lol and he'll be 40 in January! (I'm only 28 though)

We both want kids, we decided that before we got serious. We've been married almost a year. At first he's like 'Lets buy a house first' so we bought at house, now 6 months later I bring it up again, he says he wants to pay off all the Credit Cards first (which is only 5 K - not bad between two of us who lived separate adult lives before now)

so now I wait again! haha ... Good luck on trying! I hear that's the fun part! :)
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts! I really enjoyed reading the 'I wish I did this differently'

It will really help us who want to have our first childs soon :)
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    Thank you all for your posts! I really enjoyed reading the 'I wish I did this differently'

It will really help us who want to have our first childs soon :)

most def. you all are awesome, and I want to have a baby. In fact, when I had my IUD placed shortly before the wedding, I was thinking, "heh, this will never last 5 years..." Now that we're married, life is great, and we're not pregnant, so I'm thinking that if we're going to embark on this road, better to be prepared, eh? whooops, is my type-A hanging out?! :):)
    xoxo
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would express interest! :( All he does is express 'not now' lol and he'll be 40 in January! (I'm only 28 though)

We both want kids, we decided that before we got serious. We've been married almost a year. At first he's like 'Lets buy a house first' so we bought at house, now 6 months later I bring it up again, he says he wants to pay off all the Credit Cards first (which is only 5 K - not bad between two of us who lived separate adult lives before now)

so now I wait again! haha ... Good luck on trying! I hear that's the fun part! :)

Honestly, it is good that he wants to be in a better place financial but remind him you'll never be 100% financially ready to have a child. They are money pits but sooooo worth it! :flowerforyou: It can be stressful at times but somehow you manage to make it work.

As for the OP, I wish I would have stayed active and not given myself the excuse "I'm pregnant" to eat anything I wanted. Even if you were faithful with your workouts and meals before pregnancy a baby makes it a little bit harder to stay in your routine. You'll gain some weight, that is natural. But minimize the damage. :wink:

Also, go on as many "date nights" and trips alone together as possible. It'll be so much harder to carve out time for just the two of you once the little darling makes its arrival.:flowerforyou: