How long to loose 50 lbs?

I started Jan 4th....
To date (July 21st), I have lost 27.6 lbs. It has taken 7 months. I have hit 2 plateaus that each lasted about 3-4 weeks.

What is your estimate on how much longer it will take to get to 50 lbs? Is it true that the closer you are to your goal, the longer it takes?

Thanks for the advice.

Replies

• fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    It took me about a year to lose 50lbs :( It seems like a long time, but it's best to do it slow and steady instead of rushing it in an unhealthy way. I would still like to lose about another 20lbs, and it is definitely taking much, much longer than I would like!!

Just stay patient and positive, and you'll get to where you want to be :)
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Hey CONGRATS On your losses thus far!!!!!! Huge KUDOS KEEP IT UP!!!!

I lost 50 lbs about 5 years ago. It took me 18 months, I worked out 90 minutes 6 days a week to lose that weight, I took Boxing, Kick Boxing, Step Classes, total body classes, basically anything my gym offered I took. It took CONSISTANCY and a lot of sweat! But I did it ...

I found the first 3 months, I didn't lose anything! then I lost 5 lbs, then 5 months later (around month 9 or so) It just stated to melt away I lost about 35 lbs in the following 6-9 months.

I fully credited it to Being completely and totally consistant with my exersising! ... I was a single gal back then, so I didn't eat big portions - but I did drink a lot. I might have lost it faster had I not been a boozer? not sure ...

Anyways, Ive been on the 'maintaining game' for 5 years now, which I find it harder than losing the weight. I fluctuate 20 lbs here and there, and it can be really annoying! Congrats on your journey! Losing it is fun ! :) keep at it!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Even at 2lbs per week it would take (by my rudimetary calculations) at the very least 6 months.

Excellent loss so far though, keep at it!
  • Sis73
    Sis73 Posts: 28 Member
    I started January 10th of this year and as of right now I am 2 pounds away from losing 50!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    It's taken me 10 months to lose 22 pounds. Yes - it does take longer to lose the closer you get to goal. Just hang in there. You'll get there!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    it took me about 5 months but that's mostly because I had a lot of extra weight to loose it has taken me 4 to loose the additional 40 and it will probably take me 4-5 months to loose this last 20 since I am so close to my goal
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    I am slowly loosing that amount and yes it can get frustrating. What i have noticed is with the workouts I do, I may still see the numbers on the scale, but I see more loss in inches and toned all the way around. This keeps me going more than the scale, plus I only weigh myself a few times a month if that.
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    I have lost 50 pounds before (since gained a lot of it back), it took me roughly 8 months, which included a lot of stops and starts. For one thing, as you get lighter, the same amount of dieting and exercising is less effective than formerly. Also, you get tired of dieting and allow yourself to stop being so rigid about things.

Some things which would have helped me I think is to have a referee around, someone to push me not to ease up. Large weight loss is all about motivation, which is why I try to do anything I can think of (bets with people, stickk contracts) to keep myself motivated. Its tough, but definitely worth it.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    It does get more difficult towards the end I think because you are just so tired of doing it. No idea on any sort of timeline, but it will take awhile.
    To speed things a bit, start eating cleaner. Avoid processed foods and eat tons of veggies and fruit. It got me through my plateau and I have been steadily losing a pound a week. Also depending on your exercise ability, try doing High Intensity Interval Training. Whatever workout you are doing, do 30 secs all out, then recover for 90 secs. Good for blasting fat.