All the 5'7" people out there... or anyone beginning.

Options
2»

Replies

• pjm1806
    pjm1806 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm 5'7" -- well, technically 5'6.6" -- but my ultimate goal is 125. I have a very narrow bone structure, and spent my teens around 115 (and size 3). 125 will put me around a size 5-7, thanks to a change in hip shape post-children. At 160, I'm around a size 12.

I think you just need to consider what looks good on you and what you can realistically maintain once you lose. 125 may not be realistic for me, once (if?) I get there. But I know I look good at that weight, so I'd like to be back there.
    well I am 135 and big size 4 small 6. I am also 5'7 and tarted off as 165. That was my heaviest. When I was 18 I was very skinny size 0 and 122. My ultimate goal is to be 124, I am only 22 so I think it's possible. Also I was very annoyed bc friends that are my age and size and look like me weigh around 120 while I do 135. So I took the matter in my hand and got professional bone measurements. And thank god. It comes out that I have very highfalutin bone density ( would explain why I never had anything broken even after few falls from fences, garages and motorcycles - yes I was a boyish girl) so I am happy with myself now. I wish you good luck and I think your goal is perfect. When you get to 160- and I bet you will, you can see how you feel and after you celebrate it you can see if you want to go any lower or higher. Everyone is different and we all jave different body types and structures. Some people look good skinny and some don't. And I am happy the way I look. I have flat stomach and when I gain it goes all around my body pretty evenly - and my face looks like a donut. Ad me as a frend ao we can keep track of eachother journeys.
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and was 163lb when I started... and now I'm about 5lb from my goal of 132lb.
    I haven't "lost my curves" or anything like that and I am clearly still very soft :)

You can look at my pictures at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/289460-found-an-old-pic for comparison.
    At the before picture I was about 166lb though, but I don't think those 3lbs made a huge difference. Even though that picture is unflattering and I did carry my weight well, it shows that there definitely was a problem...
  • lucythinmint
    lucythinmint Posts: 239
    Options
    I am 5'8" and at the moment I weigh 143lbs. My goal weight is around 125lbs, I have a medium frame structure and come from a family of bean poles so that weight is ok for me.

I have had 4 children and have mostly excess fat on upper thighs, hips and belly. I am a very athletic person so its more than just loosing weight, I am trying to tone up so I will accept 130 is lbs if the body fat is low enough.

It all depends on whether you want to look dainty and feminine or toned and athletic. I prefer kick your *kitten* look :D
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 too and 160- 150 is my goal, still a long way to get there :( Good luck to ya
  • earthboundsc
    earthboundsc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started out with the goal of 170. I was 217 when I started working on losing the weight and that was 2 months before finding this site. I was 196 when I started on here. I have dropped my goal to 160 because that gives me some wiggle room when I go back to normal healthy eating habits.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and started out at my highest weight of 180 lbs. Now I'm down to 158/160-ish, and my goal is to maintain in the 135-140 range.
  • hofosho1020
    hofosho1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I was 210, right after delivering my second child. I was 190 on my wedding day....never smaller than a 14-16 my entire teen/adult life. I lost 50 pounds, got down to 160 and was comfortable enough in my loose 12's to stop watching my calories carefully. I was able to work out frequently, and maintained a good athletic look, though still a little squishy. I wanted to get to 145-150, but was tired of trying so hard. Fast forward two years, and I am back up a bit, at 177. My FIRST goal is to get back to my 160. Once I get there, I think I will reevaluate and shoot for that 150. I have to take it slowish, I can't imagine what that would look like on my larger athletic frame.....we'll see!!!
  • lilmill
    lilmill Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 138 lbs, trying to get down to 120. My whole family is stick thin so I don't know what happened to me! Good luck guys!
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'7" and started out weighing right around 200 pounds in March. I am currently 163-165 and wearing a size 10-although they are a little tight. I set my goal to 155 which is about 5 pounds heavier than my lightest adult weight. I may decide to lower my goal once I get there. I already feel better than I did at 200, and buying clothes is much easier. I think it is good to set an initial goal that is attainable and then reevaluate when you get there. Good luck and congratulations on starting.
  • Denisefitpal66
    Denisefitpal66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7". I weighed about 140-145 before I quit smoking in September 2010. The weight came on quickly and I have been struggling with trying to lose it since January. I was able to get down to 158 with 1200 calories a day and exercise. I got frustrated and gave up last month and quickly gained back the weight I had lost and more. I currently weigh 163. My highest wt has been 167. My goal is to get to the 140-150 range again before my clothes go out of style! I think it is interesting to see that where I am, is the goal of others.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and weigh 227......goal is 190.....little different for boys I think
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 6.5" and started MFP at 177lbs. I set my initial goal at 145 because that's the lowest I'd ever been since I'd been an adult. After I reached that (8 or 9 months after starting on MFP), I adjusted it to 140. I'm sort of maintaining around that range, not being quite as strict but still watching and counting. I list a "why not try it" weight as 135 because I'm really curious if I could even get that low.

I think it's important to set a goal that is important to you for some reason or another. For me, I remember how proud and confident I felt at 145 (I had shed 15lbs during sophomore year in college). It was the last time I had felt in control of my body so it meant a lot.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 7 and currently 160lbs. I am feeling so much fitter and halthier (down from 173lbs), but plan to loose anther 5% and see how that feels. Everyone's bodies are so different, ie what type of shape, frame etc. I weighed around 133lbs when I was in my 20s but I'm not 20 any more lol!

I'm also much more fit and building muscle, I guess for me I don't have so much as a goal weight as a goal how I feel and look. Once my abdominal fat is reduced to a healthy size I'll start to maintain, as everywhere is else is toned.

You will see it repeated over and over on the board about how a number on the scale is not a true reflection of how healthy we are (search "skinny-fat"). Try to avoid comparing yourself to other people of the same height, we are all different and each of us has a different idea of what is right for us.

Good luck and keep up the hard work!