Books and Calendars

Options
I just finished reading "Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More Than We Think"

First off, I would like more book recommendations from all of you - I'm a bit of a health news junkie. I want hard science though - no "diet" books, if you know what I mean.

Secondly, the best piece of advice I thought the book had:
pick something (or three things) you should do to eat better: no fast food, sit down when you eat, don't eat at your desk, etc. Make a calendar and check off each day that you accomplish this goal. At the end of the month, add up all your checks. For every 35 checks, you should lose one pound - most bad food habits are about 100 calories each.
Whether or not you lose the extra pound, I think this is a good idea. I'm starting with a very hard one for myself: half the plate for lunch or dinner must be veggies (and/or fruit).

Oh, and put the calendar on your fridge!

Mary

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading "Mindless Eating, Why We Eat More Than We Think"

First off, I would like more book recommendations from all of you - I'm a bit of a health news junkie. I want hard science though - no "diet" books, if you know what I mean.

Secondly, the best piece of advice I thought the book had:
    pick something (or three things) you should do to eat better: no fast food, sit down when you eat, don't eat at your desk, etc. Make a calendar and check off each day that you accomplish this goal. At the end of the month, add up all your checks. For every 35 checks, you should lose one pound - most bad food habits are about 100 calories each.
    Whether or not you lose the extra pound, I think this is a good idea. I'm starting with a very hard one for myself: half the plate for lunch or dinner must be veggies (and/or fruit).

Oh, and put the calendar on your fridge!

Mary
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I aslo like the Dr Oz YOU books. They are GREAT at giving you the "THIS IS WHAT IS HAPPENING IN YOUR BODY information.
    I just got done with YOU staying young, and talk about sound advise.
    As for the calendar. On my fridge I have the WORST, FATEST, PICTURE of me I could find. :tongue:
    and right next to it, I have a picture of the swimsuit I want to fit into. :bigsmile:
    A "This is where you have been and this is where you want to go." reminder
    There was a time not to long ago that I have a bell on the fridge door. Everytime I opened it, the bell would alert the house that DIANN was at the fridge. It was a wakeup call as to how much I used to go to the fridge without ever thinking about it.
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I love the YOU books! Any others?
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yes, I truly do love them, too. And the Real Age stuff is from the other Dr.