WHY DO I HAVE HEADACHES SINCE STARTING MY DIET?

I have been doing well for about a week, but I have a dull, achy headache almost constantly now. I am drinking more water, so I don't this I am dehydrated. It seems to get a little better once I eat. Any suggestions?

**Allow me to update...
OK, first off, WOW at the number of responses I got and quick!!!
To answer some questions:
a) I have not cut out caffeine, I only drink one cup of coffee a day anyway. NOT gonna happen!
b) I don't know how to make my food log viewable but I''ll work on that.
c) I have set myself to 2000 calories to start. I am trying not to set myself up for failure as I have some in the past, so I figure as I get used to this I will drop it a little to 1800, etc. I have been right at my goal, usually within 100 cal of my goal for the day. I know this will take time so I am trying to make smart changes!
d) and yes, I had a very crappy diet before. I would eat out 3-4 times a week. BAD!!

I think it may be the sugar as several of you have suggested...in keeping the journal I noticed REAL quick that I was getting a LOT of calories from sugar (especially in my morning coffee!), plus I am a sweet hound. Now I have drastically reduced my sugar intake to only what occurs naturally in food. I am using stevia instead of sugar in my coffee, and have had almost no chocolate in a week!

Thanks for the ideas, y'all are great =)

Replies

• mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Detox?? Sometimes that happens when you go off sugar.
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    You aren't eating enough to fuel your body.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    did you quit soda? could be caffeine withdrawals
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Do you feel nauseous at all?? How much of a reduction on calories have you made?? It might be that your body isn't getting enough goodness
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    If we could see,
    Your diary,
    Maybe we,
    Could help thee.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    I automatically think of three things without having much info provided.... sugar withdrawals, caffeine withdrawals, dehydration. You have ruled out dehydration, what about the other 2?
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Perhaps its a detox symptom. If prior to this diet, you ate crap and stopped suddenly, you may experience 'side effects' as your body moves these offenders out of your system. It should pass soon.
  • bunny888
    bunny888 Posts: 23
    Could well be because your system is de-toxing if you're eating a lot more fruit and veg and drinking more water. Keep up with drinking the water.
  • angeliis02
    angeliis02 Posts: 103 Member
    I get those types of headaches for 2 different reasons - caffeine withdrawals and artificial sweeteners. If I drink more than one Diet Drink a day or put Splenda in my coffee I get headaches from the artificial sweeteners.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    I have been doing well for about a week, but I have a dull, achy headache almost constantly now. I am drinking more water, so I don't this I am dehydrated. It seems to get a little better once I eat. Any suggestions?

let's see your diary...
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    drink water, tons! that will help you go through this.
  • sarahemily72
    sarahemily72 Posts: 106
    Have you given up caffeine?
  • Danahimself
    Danahimself Posts: 279 Member
    did you quit soda? could be caffeine withdrawals

Have a glass of water

I like the all caps in the topic also..
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Are you staying close to your calorie goal?
    When I started, I was well below the calories I was alotted ("I'll lose weight faster." Uh no!!!).

Did you eat mostly crap before?
    When I started eating cleaner, my body wanted to fight me. My body wanted pop, sugar and cookies, but I said no. In return, I got headaches for about a week. Now, I get headaches after I splurge with some pop, a few cookies or other stuff I know I shouldn't be eating. I guess it's my body's way of saying it doesn't want it now.

Good job taking in a lot of water - that's always a good thing!
  • GLLove
    GLLove Posts: 77
    This happened to me too when I first started I had my goals set to lose the max 2 a week and felt horrible, I readjusted and felt better and starting actually losing more. You could be having the same problem? IF so, you arent eating enough. Adjust your goals. You can always cancel out food with exercise, but you need food for energy.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    I stopped drinking coffee and have been having headaches daily...
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    I am not a doctor or nutritionist or anything special but a 20-something MFP-er. But, my friend has a habit of barely eating or being very picky when she does eat (cheese, fries, candy, chicken fingers... basically the diet of a 5 year old). She gets constant headaches. She insists on going to the doctor when this happens. They tell her every time she is lacking some specific nutrient. Last time it was potassium. Perhaps since you have changed your diet you have not gotten a specific nutrient that you had before in your diet. Watch and make sure you are getting enough of the vitamins and nutrients you need and choose foods that fill you up in those. See if that helps your headaches.

And too, you could be going through a crash-withdrawal.

Only my opinion.
  • too little carbs (the good kind) can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness...
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member

Sounds as though you either aren't eating enough or you aren't eating frequently enough if it gets better when you eat.

Other possibilities:

-You cut out a lot of carbs. This makes many people feel awful for at least a few days. also known as the Atkins Flu.

-You cut out a lot of caffeine and are going through caffeine withdrawal. You can alleviate that by having more caffeine. If you went cold turkey on the cafffeine, you can stick with it as you should be almost through it, or you can try to get off the caffeine more gradually.

-You raised your protein by quite a bit. It takes a lot of water to process protein, so you may need even more water than you believe you do.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    I've gotten more headaches at work since I started the diet when I'm too busy to be able to eat regularly enough.