How would you take it!?

Options
I walked to a coworkers desk to let him know I was leaving for lunch and he said, "I'm glad to hear you're still eating".

I just kind of looked at him and said, "Gee, thanks" (sarcastically, of course).

Without skipping a beat, he got a look of concern and assured me he meant it in a good way because I've lost so much.

He's a really nice guy, so I'm sure he did not mean to offend me, but it got me thinking....How many other people think I've stopped eating? Do I look anorexic? Am I taking it too far counting & measuring EVERYTHING?

I've always struggled with confidence/self-image/etc....Am I overreacting or should I take what he said into consideration? I've been working on toning and I don't think I look too thin. I am wondering if this is an obvious compliment and I'm just really bad at taking them.

I would love to know your thoughts/opinions...

Replies

• mazzmoo
    mazzmoo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I get that but I think its because the person who says this snacks A LOTand keeps offering me food and so I do my best to turn it down :/
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It probably came out of his mouth wrong and he didn't realize it until he saw your face. As long as he seemed sincere afterwards, I wouldn't take it ias a compliment or a rude remark, just something kinda stupid that came out of his mouth.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    my granny asks me if i'm eating still every time she sees me. and i've only lost 11 pounds.
  • purpleprose
    purpleprose Posts: 650
    Options
    I think it was well-intentioned, but people don't understand how even the most innocuous of comments can hurt people with low self-esteem or who have struggled with weight.

From the pictures on your profile and in your ticker (I sound creepy and stalkerish, but I'm not, I promise!) you look quite healthy and NOT anorexic or ill. My grandma is constantly saying things when I mention my goal weight like "oh, that's too thin for you" or "are you being healthy??!?!?!" which I know is meant out of love but still makes me feel paranoid and patronized.

Bottom line - brush it off. You look amazing, it sounds like it was meant out of concern and not out of being a *kitten*, and you ARE healthy and taking care of yourself. So ignore it and move on.
  • robinmachorro
    Options
    im sure he meant it as a compliment ! :) dont worry just make sure you dont lose to much weight :)
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tell him next time you have a rare uncurrable disease. Then just spin around and walk off. Make him feel like do do for awhile...:)
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    When you look around and see that MOST of america is considered overweight and it is getting worse. I don't come across tons of people that are overweight and have success and stick to a plan and achieve weightloss goals. He is probably looking at you through this lense. How many times have you heard "You look great, how did you do it?" When we all know the simple answer. He just probably is making an assumption. I think as many people that want to lose weight they don't don' how or seem so overwhelmed and really to lose a significant amount of weight is a HUGE accomplishment that not many are able to acheive (which is sad :-( )
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think he just wanted to comment on your weight loss and not have it be sexual. Men in workplaces (well, at least some of them) actually do worry that any comment on your appearance could land them in the hotseat with HR. I doubt he meant any harm--guys think they're being funny when they say things like that.

Now if he took your hand first, looked like his puppy died while gazing into your eyes and THEN said he was glad you 're still eating, then he really was worried. ;)
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    LOL. I wouldn't worry about that. HE IS A MAN! He probably thought it was a compliment. They're dummies but we love them anyways
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think many people, including myself, had no clue about how all this weight loss stuff works before they start doing it themselves. I don't think the comments are necessarily out of malice; but rather just ignorance/naivety.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am sure he just meant it as a bit of a joke if anything. As long as you are happy with what you are doing why care what they think :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I'm HIGHLY overly sensitive, so it probably would have hurtme, but then I don't know the guy. You said he is really nice, so he probably was trying to compliment you in his own way. :bigsmile:
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it!

Our receptionist says a similar statement as a sarcastic style joke.

Sometimes I and others to me say things without thinking. When we actually hear how bad it sounds or how what we meant to be a pointless joke sounds not so jokingly in this circumstance with this person we want to die.

I think it was just a joke/comment said without thinking. I wouldn't take it personally.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the details of your weight loss and maintenance program - I have read on these boards people who struggle once they hit their goal weight, and do take it further than they ever intended. While it is not my place to assume or to judge, I - personally - would take his words in light consideration. Perhaps he really did mean it as a lighthearted joke in that you are "melting away" but just the fact that you entertained the thought that perhaps there may be reason for his comments to be a bit more than a joke, I would (again, this is what I would do knowing myself) take a bit of time by myself - and think about where I am at in my journey - and maybe re-evaluate - if need be - my maintenance goals.

On the other hand - if you still look healthy and fall within a healthy BMI and measurement range - then I would just chalk it up to lighthearted banter.

Good luck !!
  • xxojessica
    xxojessica Posts: 14
    Options
    I think you should do what you gotta do! Counting calories obviously works for you and I don't think you should change your routine.

It really sounds like he literally just meant that you've lost weight. That was a weird way for him to say it, tho, that's for sure.

You're doing just fine, girly. : )
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't think its a compliment or a rude remark but one of those flippant things that he probably would never had said if he'd have thought about it first....you're looking great and no where near ill so don't let it get you down..... Vxx

Ps - well done on the loss!!
  • dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I'm sure it wasn't a bad thing. as long as you know you're doing good things for yourself, thats what counts. he may just be concerned b/c you stopped snacking and reject bad foods so he sees you eat much less?
  • SDH15
    SDH15 Posts: 35
    Options
    Nah, you look great.

Most guys don't think before they speak. He probably meant it as something harmless and you definitely shouldn't overanalyze it. Whenever anybody sheds a lot of weight people wonder if they went through proper avenues (fitness and nutrition). But there is a huge distinction between being anorexic thin and being healthy lean, and you definitely look the latter.

Stop worrying about what other people think, if you are happy with the way you look thats all that matters! Congrats for all the hard work you've put in, it really shows!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Most people mean well. Try to remember that.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it the wrong way. In the past I took the appetite suppressants and while I lost a lot of weight I was not really eating so my mom was right to be concerned. Now they see that I'm losing the weight but it's not due to pills or fad diets, it's hard work and watching what I eat.